Bit Of A Yarn

TERRIBLE LOOK FOR HARNESS RACING AGAIN...

Davis

He's more bad publicity for harness. The industry we love does not need people like this. It is a disgusting, cowardly act on a defenceless woman. i think he has got off lightly.

Harness fans read and it weep. Think what this does to harness racing, more irreparable damage.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/123487030/harness-racing-stars-fall-from-grace-after-despicable-assault-on-woman

Edited by Davis
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Davis said:

He's more bad publicity for harness. The industry we love does not need people like this. It is a disgusting, cowardly act on a defenceless woman. i think he has got off lightly.

Hang on a minute.  Not excusing his behaviour but this happens every week in NZ.  Why does the fact he worked in the Harness industry reflect on the industry?

It is only in the minds of the media who have an anti-racing narrative to foster.

Also the pressure that some individuals have been put under during INCA would make the strongest of us crack.

I just hope that those who started this sorry mess are bought to a account.

Edited by Noodlum
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Also is this "fair"? That's 2 and a half years!  I guess the stinking RIU got there in the end but not for the right reasons.  Certainly not what the premise of INCA was about.

Davis said Anderson’s assault conviction meant he would not be allowed to enter a racecourse for two years unless he was granted permission by the Exemptions Committee.

• Like 1

It reflects on harness racing because of one thing alone, the media.

What are the first two words in this headline?

image.png.1fda936d554e5ab0247c79e578b1cfbe.png

What are the first three words in the story?

image.png.52831ca5172ade7f5a3e2b263d637ac7.png

Sounds to me like Holly Henry and/or Mark Quinlivan should be asked the question.

Harness racing star gets community detention for assaulting and strangling woman (msn.com)

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Champ Post 2

7 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

It reflects on harness racing because of one thing alone, the media.

Imagine the uproar if we saw a headline "Fletcher's construction worker guilty of assault".

Let alone if there had been a four year investigation of construction workers while hiding in hedges.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Noodlum said:

Hang on a minute.  Not excusing his behaviour but this happens every week in NZ.  Why does the fact he worked in the Harness industry reflect on the industry?

It is only in the minds of the media who have an anti-racing narrative to foster.

Also the pressure that some individuals have been put under during INCA would make the strongest of us crack.

Because Von Beynon at the Press has it in for harness racing. He will already be writing up this story. He will follow up with the Mitchell Kerr debacle. TV will also cover it with their usual negative harness slant. I don't think you can blame Inca for this Noodlum, although I get your point. There is no excuse for this.... a man should never raise a hand to a woman. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davis said:

don't think you can blame Inca for this Noodlum, although I get your point. There is no excuse for this.... a man should never raise a hand to a woman. 

Nor a man to a man?!

I'm not "blaming" INCA for the individuals actions but the pressure that was applied to these people was extreme.  We all have a breaking point.  I know I've been there.

The INCA pressure was well beyond any crime that they were looking for.  The crimes that these individuals have been guilty of is not what they were looking for.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, Noodlum said:

Noodlum

I am not excusing anyone's behaviour either, not in any way, but your point is bang on the money

Rugby players also cop the same treatment sometimes as well

We see "Harness Racing commits assault ....", we see "Rugby player commits assault...' but we never see ""Electrician commits assault' or "Cabinet maker ...."

Those that point out that the first 2 examples are sports and the other 2 aren't, well I never read "Volleyball player commits assault" either

Mikie

Edited by Mikie

2 hours ago, Mikie said:

Noodlum

I am not excusing anyone's behaviour either, not in any way, but your point is bang on the money

Rugby players also cop the same treatment sometimes as well

We see "Harness Racing commits assault ....", we see "Rugby player commits assault...' but we never see ""Electrician commits assault' or "Cabinet maker ...."

Those that point out that the first 2 examples are sports and the other 2 aren't, well I never read "Volleyball player commits assault" either

Mikie

Electrician and Cabinet makers are Not high profile public figures, But they do get the same Court treatment.

Even this very day,  Jarryd Haynes , a very high profile footballer, was in court in Newcastle, for Rape charge today.Apparently a female acquaintance wouldn't have sex with him, while he had a taxi waiting outside , so he became aggressive.

Good Grief!!. That Coming after a USA incident he had as well that was 'Settled". Unbelievable......

Rugby League seems to get these type of stories every year.

Matt Anderson and Jarryd are well known to the sporting and Gambling public, so of course their vocations will be mentioned.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, Harewood said:

I have actuelly "heardthings" and it is not good but dont want to spread rumours Thought Davis would know as he brought it up

I have heard rumours too. I don't know the whole story so will not jump the gun and say things that might not be right. But I can tell you when this is made public it will affect harness racing. Our friend at the Press will make sure of that with a number of hard hitting anti-harness articles.

13 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Electrician and Cabinet makers are Not high profile public figures, But they do get the same Court treatment.

Even this very day,  Jarryd Haynes , a very high profile footballer, was in court in Newcastle, for Rape charge today.Apparently a female acquaintance wouldn't have sex with him, while he had a taxi waiting outside , so he became aggressive.

Good Grief!!. That Coming after a USA incident he had as well that was 'Settled". Unbelievable......

Rugby League seems to get these type of stories every year.

Matt Anderson and Jarryd are well known to the sporting and Gambling public, so of course their vocations will be mentioned.

Hi Gsmmalite

I can see where you are coming from and accept that Hayne is a household name in Aussie given their love of NRL

I’m not sure that I agree that Anderson is “well known” to the general sporting public, in fact I would have bet he wasn’t (until now)

Mikie

9 hours ago, Mikie said:

Hi Gsmmalite

I can see where you are coming from and accept that Hayne is a household name in Aussie given their love of NRL

I’m not sure that I agree that Anderson is “well known” to the general sporting public, in fact I would have bet he wasn’t (until now)

Mikie

Fair comment Mikie,     Anderson is well known to anyone involved in harness racing in some way , but not likely to be known outside of that. So imagine Davis could be right with the bad image for harness racing with the Headline.

I asked my 10 or so punting acquaintences at the TAB , why do none of the 10, bet on harness racing at All.

Their picture of the sport is that 'The same Drivers Go around every race at most tracks in most states, so all know who's doing what in each race'. And They Don't.

In contrast ............

At the gallops in any state,  a variety of Jockeys go around in each race so less likely to be fixed in anyway.

Also runners galloping out the back losing all chance at the harness racing, is a Huge Turnoff for these Punters unfortunately.

So that is A bad look for the sport, moreso than what the participants do off track.

Once upon a time it was part of the risk, but these days, Who wants to lose their money in that fashion?

22 hours ago, Harewood said:

I have actuelly "heardthings" and it is not good but dont want to spread rumours Thought Davis would know as he brought it up

Oh you must of missed the chat about this, it is under another topic name, TBH finals. Some of us, well me are curious. If you have any substantial info feel free to join the convo 🙂 

Re this topic, since I have posted here ... hmm ... do the crime, do the time - play by the rules and you will be fine. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. 

If you are on TV (regular or semi-regular), regardless of the industry my suggestion would be read the above underlined and in bold. 

Re Inca I don't have an opinion on it either way. Don't know enough details. 1 thing I would strongly suspect is the after-math of being secretly monitored for a long duration = stress, disbelief, mistrust, anxiety, depression, anger, PTSD, sadness, vulnerability, sleepless nites etc, would be some of the post effects of going through such an ordeal. I would feel for anyone that has been through this, that is innocent. 

• Like 2