Bit Of A Yarn

Seriously? Lisa Allpress named in New Year's Honours List!

All The Aces

7 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Lisa Allpress named in New Years Honour's List for services to racing.

Seriously!!!!   

I would have thought there are others that would rank far higher for such a recognition.    Chris Johnson, Noel Harris etc etc 

Tim Shadbolt got a knighthood so nothing surprises me any more

• Chief Stipe changed the title to Seriously? Lisa Allpress named in New Year's Honours List!
30 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Lisa Allpress named in New Years Honour's List for services to racing.

Seriously!!!!   

I would have thought there are others that would rank far higher for such a recognition.    Chris Johnson, Noel Harris etc etc 

Cmon A...Its about all the shit she's had to put up with over the years in breaking the glass ceiling as well isn't it?

Winning on the World stage in male superiority countries like Dubai and Japan....

They loved her there...even made a doll didn't they?

6 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Cmon A...Its about all the shit she's had to put up with over the years in breaking the glass ceiling as well isn't it?

Winning on the World stage in male superiority countries like Dubai and Japan....

Cmon T. 

Time to stop playing the sex card. 

Johnson & Harris have achieved far more and Harris is further contributing as apprentice riding master after over 50 years riding, finishing second in a Melbourne Cup as a 17yo apprentice, won numerous G1 races in a number of countries, won premierships in two countries and is a member of the 2000 Club here etc.   

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Cmon T. 

Time to stop playing the sex card. 

Johnson & Harris have achieved far more and Harris is further contributing as apprentice riding master after over 50 years riding, finishing second in a Melbourne Cup as a 17yo apprentice, won numerous G1 races in a number of countries, won premierships in two countries and is a member of the 2000 Club here etc.   

Oh shit not you too!  That's da Princess's go to!

Seriously though...it's about the all round stuff as well...as well as a World Ambassador for Women in Racing...she's a headline helper at Riding for the Disabled...

But if you feel Handbrake deserves equal opportunities too just fill inda form A

Who can make a nomination

Anyone can nominate a person they think is worthy of a New Zealand Royal Honour and anyone can be nominated. The nominator needs to complete a nomination form. Completed nomination forms can be sent to:

The Honours Unit
Cabinet Office
Executive Wing L10
Parliament Buildings
Wellington 6011
Contact us

Once the Honours Unit has received your nomination a short citation on your nominee will be written, based on the information you provide. This will be presented to the Cabinet Appointments and Honours Committee. This committee is chaired by the Prime Minister. The formal responsibility for making recommendations to The Queen for the grant of honours rests with the Prime Minister or a Minister of the Crown acting for the Prime Minister.

4 hours ago, Thomass said:

Had a friend with a blow up doll, wasn't happy with it, so took it back to the retailer, he said what's wrong with it, it keeps going down on me, he replied if id had known that I would have charged you double.

11 minutes ago, Huey said:

Thoroughly deserved imo. An outstanding female athlete, her longevity, consistency and enthusiasm is but to be admired. If only the sport had 10 riders like her.

There used to be plenty of them , Lisa is great to deal with , always professional , and always gives you a straight up opinion .

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Huey said:

Thoroughly deserved imo. An outstanding female athlete, her longevity, consistency and enthusiasm is but to be admired. If only the sport had 10 riders like her.

Yep - well deserved.  A very hard worker who has done very well.  Even she will admit that she isn't the most talented rider (she actually said that in an interview) but makes up for it with hard work.  Although like fine wine has got better as she has aged.

Nice hands, kind to a horse and great balance.

I met her at Kevin Grays stable at Waverley when she was an apprentice.  Bubbly and enthusiastic and well trained by Kevin and Kath.

Should have dumped the woman I was seeing at the time!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yep - well deserved.  A very hard worker who has done very well.  Even she will admit that she isn't the most talented rider (she actually said that in an interview) but makes up for it with hard work.  Although like fine wine has got better as she has aged.

When she can say that , yet is lengths better than the rest in the CD , what does that say for the rest . She is right in front of them as their role model yet most don't see what makes her tick and try and emulate .

Saying that she is way better than she gives herself credit for .

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, nomates said:

Saying that she is way better than she gives herself credit for .

True but that has come with experience and a lot of rides.

Yes it doesn't say much for those behind her in the CD.

Part of the problem is there isn't the like of Kevin Grey and his wife mentoring young apprentices like they did.  Geez did those two train some class jockeys!

There are obvious issues with CWJ but you could hardly argue with Lisa Allpress getting a gong.  Sheer hard work, talent , personality and longevity  - you cannot help but admire her.  For all that surprising NGH has never got recognition but who knows - maybe he turned it down.

It took a bloody long time for Brian Anderton to be recognised and nobody deserved recognition more than him (and it should have been a bloody knighthood!)

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

17 hours ago, Huey said:

Agree there however the problem I have is that by competing in Dubai she in some ways turns a blind eye to the UAE's involvement in the war in Yemen. That is the human tragedy of our time.

Confirms in my mind the current Labour leadership very light weight on Foreign Policy issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Good for Lisa getting a gong.  Certainly not trying to rain on that parade in any personal sense - she seems a very nice person & is as deserving as plenty of others on the list.

But all in all the NY/QB honors thing leaves me cold.  Too many ppl getting them on questionable merit.  Just my opinion. 

John Key reintroduced the knighthoods - and why? - so he could land one for himself?  I found that rather calculating and repugnant (& how very different from Helen Clark).  And lots of people get them for just being good at their jobs.  So what?  If they're good at their jobs they're bound to be getting rewarded accordingly.  Even sportspeople are a similar kettle of fish IMO.  And politicians can seemingly get awards just for sticking around long enough .... (& having a crony who'll nominate them).

I would rather they were the preserve of genuine acts of philanthropy, altruism and people who do really good and great things for others.  And even saying that - not all philanthropy is created equal!  I know of a man who had racing interests who got to be a Sir on that basis - & yes it's clear that he spent considerable money on charitable causes.  But I always wondered when it came to this extremely wealthy man - if he had simply just paid his taxes in NZ (instead of utilizing offshore tax havens) - whether more money would  have been reaped and more good done with it that way.  Mind you - you don't get accolades and a knighthood for paying your tax do ya .....     

I remember a lovely old woman who was a gardener.  She used to strike cuttings of plants (perennials & so on) and grow them on & sell them from the driveway at her home.  Now her house was a very modest affair and over the years, her hard work earned well into 6 figures (that is one helluva lot of little plants - as they used to be mostly $2 apiece!).  I was in awe.  It was clear she could've done with that money for herself & her husband - upgraded their home, had a nice holiday or whatever.  But no - she went on for years giving every cent away (I can't recall the charity now but I think it might have been the local hospice).  Now that is what I'm talking about.  

J.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1