Bit Of A Yarn

Opie appealing suspension

nomates

Opie Bosson is appealing his double suspension from new years day which put him out till after the Karaka Millions meeting . His argument being that it is too severe because it covers so many big meetings where he would have G1 rides .

Many say he is a protected species sometimes , i think part of the problem is the inconsistent officials . 

I agree with his argument tho , it's not like it covers a few average meetings , or was these taken into account when issued .

Be interesting to see what happens .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Opie Bosson is appealing his double suspension from new years day which put him out till after the Karaka Millions meeting . His argument being that it is too severe because it covers so many big meetings where he would have G1 rides .

Many say he is a protected species sometimes , i think part of the problem is the inconsistent officials . 

I agree with his argument tho , it's not like it covers a few average meetings , or was these taken into account when issued .

Was always going to happen with TA & other bigger stables not having access to the Aus jocks like they have in the past.

Not sure I agree with his argument though, but I wouldn't bet against him getting what he wants i.e. to ride Karaka Million night.

• Like 1

Bout time he got suspended for how they put it lightly careless he is outright dangerous at the moment elbows, cutting people up!! Why is he so sacred?? If any other jockey does what he does then the sport will start killing people and the death rate of jockeys is already high in such a small population. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nomates said:

Don't know what in the rules allows for that. It's based on riding days isn't it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

Bout time he got suspended for how they put it lightly careless he is outright dangerous at the moment elbows, cutting people up!! Why is he so sacred?? If any other jockey does what he does then the sport will start killing people and the death rate of jockeys is already high in such a small population. 

I think it will be pretty poor form if its over turned, but would not be surprised at all. 

Opee and Davo had a 5 minute spot on 3 News last night and they looked totally shattered...

...mind you who wouldn't after "3 hours" in a stuffy room?

Lets hope Davo didn't repeat any fake news to ameliorate the situation

""a very inexperienced apprentice" is J Fawcett apparently

Some bloke from the Viaduct even said Opee had "one previous careless" when it's now 4...including one in Australia which the RIU incompetently failed to count

Fake News is like a variant virus...

Yes they have applied for a Judicial Review of the Appeal decision.

I find it amusing (if not alarming) with the reaction from some quarters.  Quite frankly this type of action happens all the time in the OZ - even if you went back to the original offences you'll find the riding on any Group Day at any Metro track in OZ a lot "rougher" than NZ.

But back to the Judicial Review and Appeals.  Again this happens every day of the week in OZ.  We seem to have short memories - how many times have Owners/Trainers appealed to the nth degree for Hugh Bowman?

If there is a process available to appeal then it is there to be used.  To make ad hominem attacks on Opie Bosson and David Ellis-Te Akau and infer that there is favouritism or bias based on a perceived weight of influence are unjustified.  At the end of the day it is a duty for Te Akau to pursue all courses of action for their stakeholders.  It would be remiss to not do it.

As I said it happens every day of the week in OZ racing and it is naive of some online commentators to suggest it shouldn't be the case here.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, KickintheKods said:

He's home and dry is our Owen Patrick. He WILL be riding on Millions night - you can put your soiled undies on it. 

2091286_1.jpg

That looks suspiciously like Soy Sorbantson Kodso, tell moi I'm right?

How much is Davo charging Opee for his time and of course the QC would be doing it for free with sooooo much Industry inchestousness going on...Shirley?

Some

39 minutes ago, Thomass said:

How much is Davo charging Opee for his time

Why would Opie be charged a fee?  The inference that you and others are making that Opie is only a bystander is the appeal doesn't make sense.  It is in Opie's best self-interest to ride in those races.  Afterall how many $1m races do we have in NZ?

Sure Te Akau is paying for a QC to do their bidding but that is their right and is a business decision.  The lack of quality and numbers in our top riding ranks is at its worst ebb in decades.  Opie is a world class jockey proven on the international stage.

If he does get allowed to ride then it will be damn interesting seeing which of the Te Akau 2 yr olds he will ride.  It is unlikely to be the current race favourite.

30 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

If he does get allowed to ride then it will be damn interesting seeing which of the Te Akau 2 yr olds he will ride.  It is unlikely to be the current race favourite.

Be a bit rough on Parksy if he gets the drag . For his sake i hope he keeps the ride and wins , good guy .

11 minutes ago, nomates said:

Be a bit rough on Parksy if he gets the drag . For his sake i hope he keeps the ride and wins , good guy .

I don't think they will as I don't think Te Akau think that that horse is their best chance in the race.  The impression I'm getting is that the horse has surprised them somewhat and is going from strength to strength with racing.  Apparently he is very tough and has the constitution of an ox and the appetite to match.