Bit Of A Yarn

My Sincere Apologies BOAY'ERS.

As many of us do we look through the yearling sales book each year, buy a Lotto ticket and hope our numbers come through.

Unfortunately plan A didn't come through.  But I picked a few out anyway.  One in particular.  

I liked a colt that had my favourite blood line and was a bit of a looker.  He was bought by Te Akau.

Anyway a couple of months later I had reason to contact Te Akau on an unrelated matter.  I mentioned in passing that one of the yearlings they purchased I  really liked.  I was told there was a share left and would I like to but it.

Some of you may recall that I sent out an email asking if anyone was interested in buying a small share of a share in a yearling being trained by a good stable.

A number of you said yes.  I mucked around and by the time I got back to Te Akau the shares had all been sold.  However one of the shareholders offered me part of theirs.

Anyway my personal circumstances changed and I let it slip.

The yearling was by Brazen Beau and as you may have guessed by now was named On The Bubbles.

I've kept in touch and have followed what he was doing very closely.  He is one of those horses that has kept on improving each step of the way.

I'm not sure if they took any notice but I texted them this week to not worry about the draw.  I said he has shown he jumps with them and has got speed.  "He'll glide forward and will end up 2 or 3 back one out."

This horse is a good horse with a lot of upside and will be a good three year old up to a mile.  Hasnt run a race time yet but can put in a good sectional and sprint twice in a race.  Tough too!

IMG_5465.jpg

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5464.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, nomates said:

Ha , wondered what happened there , was just thinking the other day that i must ask you what had happened . Now i know . 

Sorry - other things conspired.  LOL one thing is for certain since he is now gelded he won't be the most expensive horse mistake I've made!

34 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

And hard to believe DanielleJ missed a part of that action in the F4 too. ? Big odds that happening ?

The signs were there as Millefiori had to miss a lead up run due to a temp then had to back up in a week.

Whereas the winner has had a perfect lead up and has just kept improving.

He has the constitution of an Ox and loves his tucker.  He impressed them with his away trip to Awapuni.  Didn't miss a beat, took it all in his stride and didn't leave an oat the whole trip.  Horses like that give you a lot of scope when it comes to working them.

How many young horses can draw the outside gate each race and win with relative ease?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Joe Bloggs will be pleased to learn that Cameron George has a 10% share in On The Bubbles.  Just been listening to Sky Radio OZ.  Two commentators don't rate yesterday's Karaka Millions runners.

At least he's a paid up member of our community Chief, how many losers from Petone didn't put their hands in their pockets. As to the depth in this race, I agree with the two defectors, the class runner yesterday was Aegon by a country mile.......the pressure and tempo here is crushing, especially in 2yo races......Catalyst found that, injury excluded.

13 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

At least he's a paid up member of our community Chief, how many losers from Petone didn't put their hands in their pockets. As to the depth in this race, I agree with the two defectors, the class runner yesterday was Aegon by a country mile.......the pressure and tempo here is crushing, especially in 2yo races......Catalyst found that, injury excluded.

Not to mention the quality of the  horse over there, probably 25 Levantes in Aus at the moment.

But Aegon might measure up, he really shouldn't have been able to win that , didn't get the best breaks imo (fresh up over the mile, great training performance) but looks like he has a will to win and the gears to back it up.

Also a stable that really knows how to get them going for Aus.

• Like 3

Huey, I notice on all official stewards reports yesterday from NZ, no pre-race testing. The huge prizemoney on offer at Ellerslie and NO pre-race testing..........yep, 3rd world and why the hell would any Aussie put credence on any results from Ellerslie, or anywhere else for that matter when there is NO money for pre-race testing? 

How many horses raced yesterday with elevated levels of C02?..........we will never know shall we, it kind of detracts from TA's achievement doesn't it? Not their fault, but when the governing body can't offer transparency like in other racing jurisdictions even closed race limited black type should be null and voided!!!.........shame on the World Pattern Committee.

4 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Huey, I notice on all official stewards reports yesterday from NZ, no pre-race testing. The huge prizemoney on offer at Ellerslie and NO pre-race testing..........yep, 3rd world and why the hell would any Aussie put credence on any results from Ellerslie, or anywhere else for that matter when there is NO money for pre-race testing? 

How many horses raced yesterday with elevated levels of C02?..........we will never know shall we, it kind of detracts from TA's achievement doesn't it? Not their fault, but when the governing body can't offer transparency like in other racing jurisdictions even closed race limited black type should be null and voided!!!.........shame on the World Pattern Committee.

You make a very good point JB, one would also think given possible positive a stable has had that testing would be undertaken in a more detail manner. 

But this is NZ racing we are talking about.

The one thing that caught my eye yesterday also was the TV reporter carrying a saddle to the stables for one of the runners in a 2yo race for TA, a bit amateurish?

6 minutes ago, Huey said:

You make a very good point JB, one would also think given possible positive a stable has had that testing would be undertaken in a more detail manner. 

But this is NZ racing we are talking about.

The one thing that caught my eye yesterday also was the TV reporter carrying a saddle to the stables for one of the runners in a 2yo race for TA, a bit amateurish?

Also Huey, against the rules here in Oz, no-one other than the trainer or a foreperson can retrieve a saddle from the weighing room before a race......if it was handed to the reporter the stable is compromised.....how bloody unprofessional.

6 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Also Huey, against the rules here in Oz, no-one other than the trainer or a foreperson can retrieve a saddle from the weighing room before a race......if it was handed to the reporter the stable is compromised.....how bloody unprofessional.

Exactly my point , we are very amateur.

33 minutes ago, Huey said:

25 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Geez guys give the man a break.  Aren't you both getting a bit picky now?  He had FIVE horses in the race and it isn't as if Mrs Bosson doesn't know what she is doing!  Hell she is probably still a license holder!

As the only owner in a large syndicate who attended all 52 of my horse's starts I had the responsibility of collecting the saddle and cloth on many an occasion.  Most stables in New Zealand can't afford to send a whole lot of support staff around the country to both look after the horse AND doing all the jobs required.

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Geez guys give the man a break.  Aren't you both getting a bit picky now?  He had FIVE horses in the race and it isn't as if Mrs Bosson doesn't know what she is doing!  Hell she is probably still a license holder!

As the only owner in a large syndicate who attended all 52 of my horse's starts I had the responsibility of collecting the saddle and cloth on many an occasion.  Most stables in New Zealand can't afford to send a whole lot of support staff around the country to both look after the horse AND doing all the jobs required.

I get what your saying , but fuck it makes us look like small town hicks . It's something that might happen at the Birdsville races .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nomates said:

I get what your saying , but fuck it makes us look like small town hicks . It's something that might happen at the Birdsville races .

Well in reality that's what we are.  The bigger issue is when we pretend we aren't i.e. we think we are bigger than we really are.  We just don't have the resources or the revenue to apply Flemington or Hong Kong style rules.

NZ Racing would be the poorer if we raced towards the closed Hong Kong style system.

Take the carrying of the saddle by Mrs Bosson - what potential harm could have been done?  She pilfered one of the lead weights for her next round of fishing sinker making?  She picked the stitching around the stirrup?  She sellotaped a pea under the saddle?

The reality is that NZ racing due to the largesse of our TAB and Racing Administration is struggling to pay for a presenter to be oncourse at any race meeting other than the top premier days.  I bet Mrs Bosson's salary is being topped up by Te Akau - it certainly is for the Weigh In show.  Now you might say "so they should do that because look who is benefiting" but is that type of subsidisation required in Australia?

48 minutes ago, nomates said:

Yes, I spotted that and did a double take.

For sure, Emily may still have her stablehand's ticket, even if she hasn't she certainly knows what she is doing....but many have been turned away from stabling areas that also know what they are doing.

Did look very amateurish.  And TA is one outfit that can afford extra hangers-on!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nomates said:

Hands up , i've done this to lend a hand , but really for integrities sake should only be stable representatives of the stable picking up saddles . 

FFS she sleeps with the Te Akau's top jock I would have thought that is about as close as you can get to being a stable rep?

I think it was in that walking interview that Jamie gave the tip regarding the winner which soon after went from 2nd favourite to favourite.  I guess some of us were too busy watch the presenter carrying the saddle!

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Freda summed it up but to reiterate, it's against the rules here, I think it is there too, however, TA should have had processes in place for such an event! With a positive swab in the offing, you'd think everything would be done with complete compliance......wouldn't you? You can't have one rule for some and another for Ellis......or can you?

• Like 1