Bit Of A Yarn

Wellington Cup

What has become of this once great race , has to be the worst field of nom's i have seen for this race , 250k , this field shouldn't be running for more than 100k , and i'm generous ,  nearly all the field on 53kg , top weight 57kg . It will be lucky to maintain it's G3 status at this rate . Very sad state of affairs .

Was thinking of going but not so sure now .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

What has become of this once great race , has to be the worst field of nom's i have seen for this race , 250k , this field shouldn't be running for more than 100k , and i'm generous ,  nearly all the field on 53kg , top weight 57kg . It will be lucky to maintain it's G3 status at this rate . Very sad state of affairs .

Was thinking of going but not so sure now .

Have to agree, unfortunately the Thorndon has thinned out, do like the look of the Desert Gold field.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mumbles said:

Blame crap programming.

The karaka millions meeting and it's positioning has completely fecked with the ICONIC Wgtn cup carnival . That tho isn't to blame for the abysmal quality of the cup , this race isn't alone for lack of staying depth in NZ . 

Until we can get stakes that stop people selling anything that shows ability nothing is going to change .

A friend had a small share in a filly , unfashionably bred , that ran a great 4th at it's first trial , would've won with a clear run and showed a great turn of foot , the first offer turned down started at 100k , after 2 more offers , gone to a big Victorian stable . Can't blame them , but when they are buying them at the price with that little exposure i can't see it stopping .

We now purely and simply a feeder club now , no hope of getting back to the premier league .

• Like 3

OK time for a bit of nostalgia. Justin Evans take note: Style triumphs over screaming. Peter Kelly in all his commentaries never missed a beat. Fluency perfection.

The first Wellington Cup I attended was as a 14 year old. Arrived oncourse with a yearling for stabling at the sales just before the race. This was Great Sensation winning its 3rd Wellington Cup but couldn't really find a spot to see the race.

Anyway here is Peter Kelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA6nfXJkAsc&t=35s

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

OK time for a bit of nostalgia. Justin Evans take note: Style triumphs over screaming. Peter Kelly in all his commentaries never missed a beat. Fluency perfection.

The first Wellington Cup I attended was as a 14 year old. Arrived oncourse with a yearling for stabling at the sales just before the race. This was Great Sensation winning its 3rd Wellington Cup but couldn't really find a spot to see the race.

Anyway here is Peter Kelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA6nfXJkAsc&t=35s

Not often you can say a man was born with a voice to commentate horse races . Saturday mornings on ZB with Paddy O'D were not to be missed , one the comic the other the straight man . But they knew there stuff to , not like the fluff we have now .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

silk
X3X74

Sergeant Blast(8g Darci Brahma - Glittering Girl)
silk
X00D6

Te Akau Caliburn (IRE)(6g Camelot (GB) - Enchanted Evening (IRE))
silk

Robusto(6m Zed - Adriatico)
silk
X7740

Masetto(5g Cape Blanco (IRE) - Passchendaele)
silk

Dee And Gee(7m Darci Brahma - Gabana)
silk

Justamaiz(6g Guillotine - Arthena)
silk
icon-karaka-inverse.png
The Good Fight(6g High Chaparral (IRE) - Pravda)
silk

Dragon Storm(6g Shocking (AUS) - Prize Lady)
silk

Dr Velocious(5g Haradasun (AUS) - Nevak)
silk

Waisake(6g Zed - Kincia)
silk

Duplicity(8g Duporth (AUS) - Bidthemobgooday (AUS))
silk
X0125

Super Hoof(6g Cape Blanco (IRE) - Trust)
silk
icon-karaka-inverse.png
Swords Drawn (AUS)(5g Camelot (GB) - Sarvon (AUS))
silk

Vee Cece (AUS)(5m Canford Cliffs (IRE) - Vereza)
silk

Awesome Al(7m Alamosa - Awesome)
silk

Bluey's Chance(7g Remind (USA) - Opera Dancer (AUS))
silk

Jacksstar(9g Zed - Star Guest)
silk

Plushenko(6g Rock 'n' Pop (AUS) - Russian (USA))
silk

King Of The Dance (AUS) (B1)(6g Animal Kingdom (USA) - Spirited Dancer (IRE))

26 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

What a bloody good crowd that is, sadly the four foot nothing Aussie will be up there crowing about the state of racing and it's booming.......good luck to the punters that made it to the track, enjoy....and good on you all.

Wouldn't say its booming but many clubs do have their big days,today its Wellingtons turn it seems  as I cant comment coz I've only just turned the tv on.

Sorry I don't believe you.  In the old days when the Derby was held on Boxing Day the infield was full as was the area in front of the stands and beyond.  Now days they just just box them in to the the areas in front of the public and members stand.  I watched it on Boxing Day this year and it was no comparison. Fake news.

I feel for the connections of Rock On Wood, did they save him? does anyone know, can you post on here please. Watching the head on up the back Bosson pushes out on the Belle and shortly after Rock goes amiss.....I hope it's not connected, Bosson looked as weak as kitten pulling up, wasting no doubt.

11 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Sorry I don't believe you.  In the old days when the Derby was held on Boxing Day the infield was full as was the area in front of the stands and beyond.  Now days they just just box them in to the the areas in front of the public and members stand.  I watched it on Boxing Day this year and it was no comparison. Fake news.

Bit much to say that when you weren't there.   Lines at women's toilets 40 long, counted 30 in line for a beer.  Had  people who have been there every year remark to me they hadn't seen anything like that  in many years.  Got nothing to do with me, I'm no fan of theirs, just going by what I saw, what I was told and what paper reported. 

Bit much?  It's an opinion based on years and years of watching the races at Ellerslie on TV and very occaisionally in person.  And there's always lines for the toilet at any course on any big day around NZ especially on courses like Ellerslie, Trentham and Riccarton (same at Flemington)..  So stick to soccer.

Just now, Mark D said:

Bit much?  It's an opinion based on years and years of watching the races at Ellerslie on TV and very occaisionally in person.  And there's always lines for the toilet at any course on any big day around NZ especially on courses like Ellerslie, Trentham and Riccarton (same at Flemington)..  So stick to soccer.

Read above,   if that info from anti racing site doesn't convince you give up. Also it is Herald opposition reporting and didn't Herald have a lot on input  into the day ?  I would venture I've been going there as long as you have.

You have about as much insight as  Quincy Magoo you  Mug. I've raced horses there for years,   So paper  says " sell out almost "  trainers we talked to their mentioned how big the crowd was , but would would guys like Ken  Rae and   Stephen Ralph know . Guys  that had been there 25 years in a row said how big crowd was but you can decry  THEIR insights as well as mine from comfort of your lounge , what a dickhead you turned out to be. 

Just now, Ronaldo said:

You have about as much insight as  Quincy Magoo you  Mug. I've raced horses there for years,   So paper  says " sell out almost "  trainers we talked to there  mentioned how big the crowd was , but would would guys like Ken  Rae and   Stephen Ralph know . Guys  that had been there 25 years in a row said how big crowd was but you can decry  THEIR insights as well as mine from comfort of your lounge , what a dickhead you turned out to be.