Bit Of A Yarn

SENZ Radio.... Sport - but Racing???

43 minutes ago, Huey said:

I enjoyed the station this week, only suggestion I'd have is that they need a professional DJ on in the mornings to assist the ex sports persons just to help the flow/delivery etc, but apart from that its at least one positive the return of the radio!

Any racing on it Huey?

12 minutes ago, barryb said:

Any racing on it Huey?

Morning show this morning with Guerin and one of the BGP boys & guests, I thought was ok & the NZ races were broadcast today also as well as the Warriors game , been out all day so that's what I caught.

Certainly isn't what it used to be if you know what I mean , but its a good start and I'll continue listening.

• 1 year later...

I note senz is not going that well financially, not sure if that's the NZ section  only or overall  but I have noticed that local content seems to be reducing after 6 pm, based on what's on the programme guide, .

I  dont listen purely because they treated racing audiences as a bunch of idiots so I sort of said fuckem.

Once you lose listeners it's hard to get them back.

Edited by mikeynz

13 hours ago, Freda said:

Does anyone actually give a sh#t?   I've never heard of anyone who listens.

I have forced myself to listen to the Saturday 8.00am-10.00am show. A few times the extended interview has been excellent. However the rest mainly an insult to ones precious time. The Louis guy seems to have the idea he has to be "entertaining" no doubt per the SENZ directive. Sadly the humour is of a juvenile nature and so frustrating when trying to get info for the days racing.

The combo of Guerin and Herman-Watt doesn't work they just talk over each other.

Because RITA deleted Radio Trackside one can only assume it was a drain on finances.  Of all the changes implemented by RITA I think losing Radio Trackside was maybe the most detrimental to the entire racing industry.  If the opportunity came up I think a dedicated racing (with a little bit of sport) radio should be investigated.  It would take a revamp and different approach and would definitely need to be run by someone who can work to a limited budget.  Better sponsorship, advertising and funding would need to be sought; the profits cannot be spent on overpriced hosts.

• Like 1

Senz this morning have announced they will be broadcasting NZ Cricket for four years so they must be planning on sticking around.

But will they be a radio version of spark sport, not doing well financially according to news reports.

The magic network that closed down today fm would probably have.kept the cricket if it was profitable to do so.

Newstalk zb has a audience over 700 000, senz around 35000, while that's not many still shows there is a market for them but the zb network shut radio sport down because it weren't paying.

Interesting reading was the survey that showed that the majority of people still listen to radio as opposed to listening online and over 80 percent still when driving listen to radio as opposed to smartphones.

That proves radio is still a big player in people's live so why is racing allowing basically no radio coverage.

Only ones who will listen online are probably hard-core, you will find if you really want but racing with no radio presence is not going to attract new followers.

Interestingly senz in year one had afternoon shows exclusively for most days of cup week, but don't think they bothered in year 2, racing for them is not that important but racing needs good radio coverage, it needs to be in the foreground not the background.

Spose the buck stops with those running TAB nz, if they think running a bits and pieces online stream is sufficient then those in charge of the media need replacing.

Having said that some of Senz programming is a bit odd too, so many replays or running similar programmes to other stations at same time, note Canterbury sport on Saturday morning or the rural show same time as the country.

Senz don't have exclusive rights to broadcast commentary, Cricket Nrl etc etc are on the abc in Australia but they do have exclusive radio rights in NZ, sometimes they think they want to entertain rather than inform, the racing coverage they put up is shit, I haven't listened for a.long time, can't be hard to get it right. 

No great hardship for some sports to be broadcast through the app while racing has its time in the limelight too, knocking off before 5 on a Saturday is ridiculous.

The interesting question is will they keep going, can't keep losing money and not many sports racing stations have stayed for long.

Maybe if they listened to some of the racing people then those same racing people might listen to them, simple.

As it stands about the only thing I pay much attention to senz is the programme guide, I've noticed the days local content knocks off at 6 at present, are they trimming costs already ?

Edited by mikeynz

On 13/07/2023 at 8:52 AM, Special Agent said:

Because RITA deleted Radio Trackside one can only assume it was a drain on finances.  Of all the changes implemented by RITA I think losing Radio Trackside was maybe the most detrimental to the entire racing industry.  If the opportunity came up I think a dedicated racing (with a little bit of sport) radio should be investigated.  It would take a revamp and different approach and would definitely need to be run by someone who can work to a limited budget.  Better sponsorship, advertising and funding would need to be sought; the profits cannot be spent on overpriced hosts.

I agree an awful decision for the industry, I notice how a fair amount of US racing is streaming live & free on YouTube nowadays I can't for the life of me understand why NZ racing streaming on that platform would not be good for wagering turnover. I realise they probably full their pockets with the $$ from Sky but one thing racing desperately needs in NZ is to broaden its appeal to a larger audience & break down the barriers to consuming the product that it currently has.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 8:12 PM, Huey said:

I enjoyed the station this week, only suggestion I'd have is that they need a professional DJ on in the mornings to assist the ex sports persons just to help the flow/delivery etc, but apart from that its at least one positive the return of the radio!

And today the 8-10 show much better. Mick G seemed a much happier man doing it by himself without the crap humour from the other one. Maybe Mick had a win but at least he left the audience keen on the days racing ahead.

What my issue with senz is, right now there is womens football match, it's being broadcast on the Auckland am frequency, the rest of their stations are taking their so called racing coverage, why can't they just have a 11 till 8 radio racing show, but they knock off at 5 then do reruns, many times they knock of at 5 to broadcast league, they have apps to shift things on 2 as well, even if the TAB had a online radio during those busy days then relay it back on radio, not that difficult, Peter Williams and Sean Plunket have setup online radio stations, difference is they only broadcast some of the time but you can listen on demand.

Can't really do that with live events, racing missing a trick here.

Senz has got potential but will they reach it ?

Edited by mikeynz