Bit Of A Yarn

SENZ Radio.... Sport - but Racing???

Lot of questions to be asked about this. One can look at it as TAB selling the frequencies  divesting Racing from the airwaves and pushing sport. Offcourse the yes man Bernard Saundry wouldn't offer a word after all SEN is Australian.

Ok they have got McCallum a keen racing man but essentially racing has lost control.

Sports Entertainment Network (SEN) is set to expand into New Zealand announcing plans to acquire 29 TAB NZ AM/FM radio licences* and signing former New Zealand Test captain Brendon McCullum as headline talent.

SENZ – as it will be known, will become New Zealand’s new Home of Sport and Racing – and aims to be the destination for New Zealand sports fans, with soon-to-be-announced live sports rights to be supported by marquee local programming.

McCullum will front and co-host the all-important breakfast shift – bringing local sports fans all the breaking sports stories, news and opinion each morning. Other on-air talent will be announced soon.

“I’m obviously hugely excited to be taking the lead on such an inventive move forward for sports radio in New Zealand. This has been a long time in the making and I must thank Craig Hutchison who has been instrumental in both germinating the idea and then making it happen. I still live for sport and this is another opportunity to remain immersed in it in my own country, putting my stamp on SENZ’s coverage and hopefully having a lot of fun along the way!” McCullum said.

Sports Entertainment Network CEO, Craig Hutchison said he was excited to be expanding the SEN footprint internationally.

“New Zealand is one of the most passionate places in the world for international and local sport and we are delighted to have reached agreement to unleash SENZ onto an unrivalled radio footprint across the whole country,” Hutchison said.

“Not only is Brendon revered as one of New Zealand’s greatest ever cricketers – he’s also a racing expert, horse owner, coach and commentator. There’s possibly no bigger name in New Zealand sport and we are honoured and excited that he will join SENZ.

“Our business has long championed local content for local fans and that’s exactly our plan in NZ. Our 24/7 sports talk format will include shows hosted by some of New Zealand’s most loved sporting identities – as well as a block-buster line-up of live sport – all delivered through a fiercely local lens.

“We thank the TAB for reaching terms to take on the former Trackside radio footprint and look forward to partnering with them to provide a unique offering to sports and racing, pacing and chasing fans alike.”

One of the keys to SEN’s impressive growth in Australia is its fast-growing digital network providing sports fans with all the breaking sports stories as well as on-demand podcasts and live streaming. The same model will be replicated in NZ with the SENZ radio product created in parallel to a suite of digital products, including an SENZ app, website and social media to
drive access to the shows live and on-demand.

TAB NZ Executive Chair, Dean McKenzie said the sale of the Trackside radio frequencies to SEN was a positive outcome.

“SEN has a proven track record in delivering quality sport and racing coverage in Australia and we look forward to a close and mutually beneficial relationship in promoting and covering
sport and racing in New Zealand.

“We’re confident racing fans will be well-served by the introduction of the new venture which will be in addition to Trackside’s separate existing live simulcast of racing which continues to
be available through the TAB website, app and streaming services.”

Sports Entertainment Network is a dynamic multi-platform sports and entertainment business – connecting brands with fans across radio, television, digital, publishing, stadiums and
events.

In Australia, the business owns and operates 18 radio stations around the country – including 1116 SEN Melbourne, 1170 SEN Sydney, 1629 SEN SA in Adelaide, as well as 11 stations under
its racing brand SENTrack. It also owns a newspaper, magazine and talent management business.

It holds broadcast rights to the AFL, NRL, A-League, Big Bash and Test Cricket as well as international sports events like NFL Super Bowl and boasts the biggest names calling the biggest games across its commentary teams: AFL Nation, NRL Nation and Big Bash Nation. It is also the largest syndicator of sports radio content across Australia.

SENZ will establish radio studios in Auckland and Wellington and will produce local sports content from both studios.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

SENZ – as it will be known, will become New Zealand’s new Home of Sport and Racing

Hopefully this is a statement of fact and not journalistic liscence . 

Also if they are going to cover racing , to what extent .

Can't see it being the blanket coverage that was on radio trackside , but at least this is a positive move .

Going to be too late getting some lost punters back i fear .

Would be great if they could at least have the NZ & Aus gallops on the station, in particular Saturday.

But while the TAB are at it , why don't they save some $$ by putting a halt to the embarrassing form comments on their form guides, read some of the Slipper ones are just cringe!

As I stated on the other site,rugby and cricket are on on other stations so they have the rights,an ideal scenario is a mix of radio sport and trackside maybe Saturday and major holidays racing from nz and the main centres from oz,you can't have overkill of racing on a sports station,talkback on sport will get people interested,,and surely a Des Coppins type show would be a good idea.

Trackside simulcast is on their website and rova app,maybe they should just have the 2 channels simulcast, it ain't ideal but maybe then you can get full coverage,then you get some radio coverage as well,

i rarely listen to rova but if there is a specific race one is interested in I will try to tune in.

Strange as it is I did miss the radio when it went but I have got use to being without, same as sky really.after time you realise you can survive without.

While I don't really give a shit about the yachting,the fact it was on zb while I'm working captured my attention,would I I go out of my way to watch it,probably not,same with the races,I don't plan my life around telly.

17 hours ago, mikeynz said:

As I stated on the other site,rugby and cricket are on on other stations so they have the rights,an ideal scenario is a mix of radio sport and trackside maybe Saturday and major holidays racing from nz and the main centres from oz,you can't have overkill of racing on a sports station,talkback on sport will get people interested,,and surely a Des Coppins type show would be a good idea.

You are looking at it from the front end ... fair enough.

But the question remains how is racing going to benefit. Radio Trackside was a racing asset in that it was racing that created it. However it is being sold off to promote directly or indirectly sports betting. Just what consultation was there?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

But the question remains how is racing going to benefit. Radio Trackside was a racing asset in that it was racing that created it. However it is being sold off to promote directly or indirectly sports betting. Just what consultation was there?

I looking more and more like yet another "sign" of the racing times if you will.

2 hours ago, Newmarket said:

TAB need to sort their crappy app out. If you want to view a race, you can not view when iphone is rotated. Sent them an email week or so back, got back yesterday, yes they have problems, are looking into it😆😆😆😆
FFS, get it fixed

Every fucker has issues with watching,sometimes the I pad I try to watch is fine sometimes shit.you gamble on a race.you gamble if you gunna see it or not.its not always their problem,so many variables but they probably tell you it's fine just to cover their arses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 3:07 PM, The Centaur said:

You would think on a day like today and every saturday that the TAB would have sold off the frequencies with a deal to have free to air radio.

Today ideally would be good if all NZ and main meetings from oz at least has some coverage,as I've stated it will be a sports station but please people tell me what sport is capturing the nation today? So days like today should be racings time.

The online simulcast is fine to degree,as in if you are desperate to hear the eighth greyhound race from Mandurah at 10 35 on a cold winters night,if you are really keen then you will find a way.

As for trying to promote sports betting,if the TAB dont have the sports betting then the younger people will just go elsewhere for their bets on the NBA,NRL ,MLB,premier league etc

On 3/04/2021 at 12:25 PM, mikeynz said:

You would think on a day like today and every saturday that the TAB would have sold off the frequencies with a deal to have free to air radio.

Today ideally would be good if all NZ and main meetings from oz at least has some coverage,as I've stated it will be a sports station but please people tell me what sport is capturing the nation today? So days like today should be racings time.

The online simulcast is fine to degree,as in if you are desperate to hear the eighth greyhound race from Mandurah at 10 35 on a cold winters night,if you are really keen then you will find a way.

As for trying to promote sports betting,if the TAB dont have the sports betting then the younger people will just go elsewhere for their bets on the NBA,NRL ,MLB,premier league etc

TAB (racing) unlike standard commercial organisations did not need to have Radio make a profit. Preferably breakeven then all the advantages of radio for  racing would be free. Now any advertising fees etc escape the racing net and worse still punters on racing will be encouraged to switch to sport.

Its just lose, lose for racing. 

So much so I've followed up with a complaint to the Racing minister as clearly it was against the law for TAB to sell Trackside radio assets without consultation with the codes. Last I heard the complaint had gone directly to the minister.

Now for the interesting bit. Like clockwork the startled generals are rallying around the flag. Suddenly there was consultations but what I can guage just afternoon coffee down at Petone. I'll keep you posted how things progress. Next step could be approaching the opposition racing spokesman.

Racing is not just betting on overseas dogs. Radio should have with better management (involvement of codes) been a significant contributor to marketing of racing. Crazy expecting TAB to be the sole marketer of racing. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I read where this new setup that's bought the trackside channels has the rights to broadcast racing from nz,it will be interesting to see what if any is broadcast,New Zealand is a fairly small market,that's probably why radio sport didn't pay and trackside would still have cost a lot to run as well,I guess it's easy to say it's not so important that it don't make a profit,but the present lot running the TAB had to make some changes,moving forward it seems one setup running everything under one umbrella might survive,it will be interesting,simply over the years race commentaries on radio has always been like a revolving door,I think the zb stations years ago broadcast them for nought, I think in those days racing had a much stronger public interest than it has today so it probably helped the ratings, then Radio Pacific starting doing them,the zb network stopped doing it,trackside has come and gone,lots of things have all moved on to a online setup,and that's fine to a degree,radio still plays a big part in our life,this new setup maybe a sports,racing station but as the news talk channel has the rugby and magic has the cricket there must be space within this new setup that  will be able to have some good racing coverage, days like to day,Saturday it is a bit odd in today's world that we don't have radio of some sort.

I see Ian Smith has signed on,Jason Pine is also signed up,so things are moving forward it seems,sports talkback is actually very popular,so no real reason why a Des Coppins type talkback can't be fitted in somewhere,it will be interesting I guess,

1 hour ago, mumbles said:

Ian Smith,thats as good as any reason for me not to listen.

You may say that but so many of the young announcers try to be comedians,hopefully most of the radio sport lot stay on the sideline.

Radio sport I reckon went downhill when Telfer got the heavo for Devlin who right now on zb is talking the biggest load of shit you are ever likely to hear.

Despite the fact that technology is good,for some strange reason when I want to watch or listen to a race through the TAB website it always cuts out usually half way through the race,it's just not reliable and the internet is generally good where I am,that's what pisses me off,radio is generally always reliable.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 1

Have just been looking through the ratings for radio from 2 years ago,and radio sport had a very low rating.

There is a demand for sport radio and racing but it is limited,I suspect covidwas a convienient  reason the suits who shutdown radio  sport used but simply it didn't rate highly,latterly the only time I tuned in was for live commentary,cricket mainlyr.

Zb still have some sport,an hour during the week and 3 hours Saturday and Sunday plus some live commentary..

In a small market like nz is there probably is only room for one setup on radio,Senz is supposed .to be starting up some time this year,hopefully if run right it caters for everyone's sporting interest, that includes racing..

Trackside just like radio sport probably didn't make money,it's just plain economics.

30 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Trackside just like radio sport probably didn't make money,it's just plain economics.

Trackside can quite easily make money if it is split away from the TAB and all racing codes form a standalone media company.

The simple fact is the majority of advertisers are uncomfortable supporting gambling whereas have no problem supporting racing as a community event.

Split away radio could have broken even and left all the benefits to racing for free.

42 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

The tab are having nothing to do with senz but they have granted the rights to broadcast the races to them, what have they got to lose?

As I mentioned earlier I made a complaint to the Racing Minister and although I don't expect any answer I did rouse up the TAB heads for a lengthy meeting.

Didn't receive any valid reasons but I can appreciate the costs involved in keeping radio mothballed for a year or two. Even so the cost not that great in order to for the codes to come up with workable plans. Therefore I blame the codes for not doing enough research and consultation with grass root participants and sponsors.

Where are all the "highly" qualified businessmen on the boards surely having an efficient standalone company handling all racing and TAB promotions is a no brainer.

• Like 1

New survey figures show radio is surging.

"Beyond the continuous competition for the coveted number one slots across segments, the overall figures told a good story for the radio industry.

The data showed that more than 3.7 million New Zealanders continue to listen to the radio every week and almost 3.5 million of those listen to commercial radio stations.

The continued relevance of radio was reiterated in 2020 by significant spikes in the number of people tuning in to stations around the country."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/newstalk-zb-topples-rnz-national-as-biggest-talk-station-in-nz/OD3SQOASMQBEVZPRAFESOUKC6I/

6 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

"Beyond the continuous competition for the coveted number one slots across segments, the overall figures told a good story for the radio industry.

The data showed that more than 3.7 million New Zealanders continue to listen to the radio every week and almost 3.5 million of those listen to commercial radio stations.

The continued relevance of radio was reiterated in 2020 by significant spikes in the number of people tuning in to stations around the country."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/newstalk-zb-topples-rnz-national-as-biggest-talk-station-in-nz/OD3SQOASMQBEVZPRAFESOUKC6I/

This is clearly not relevant for our industry leaders , they have a plan , a cunning plan , and no amount of rational information will deviate them from their chosen path . They have told us they know what they are doing and in them we must trust . 

I wonder just how many regular radio trackside radio listners just turned the dial and stopped betting .

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

you can have ya devices and your apps but simple radio is still a big part of our lives,personally i prefer radio to tv.

Radio trackside is gone but something good will come out of this new venture.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 2

On 6/05/2021 at 9:34 PM, mikeynz said:

you can have ya devices and your apps but simple radio is still a big part of our lives,personally i prefer radio to tv.

Radio trackside is gone but something good will come out of this new venture.

I hope that you are right but I doubt it. 

On 4/04/2021 at 12:04 PM, The Centaur said:

Crazy expecting TAB to be the sole marketer of racing. 

With the new racing act NZTAB are not responsible for any marketing of any racing, thats up to the respective codes. examples such as weigh In etc are allowed to use Trackside but are paid for by NZTR. Likewise Box seat which is privately funded

NZTAB marketing is wagering related as per the act

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

With the new racing act NZTAB are not responsible for any marketing of any racing, thats up to the respective codes. examples such as weigh In etc are allowed to use Trackside but are paid for by NZTR. Likewise Box seat which is privately funded

Which means unless there is no marketing done by the respective codes that the costs have only been transferred to the codes (still paid out of wagering revenue from TABNZ) and likely will result in duplication (triplication?) of efforts.

• Like 3

On 11/05/2021 at 10:37 AM, JJ Flash said:

Your argument only enforces what I've been saying all along. i.e. there should have been more consultation with the codes. Now if you look at the code CEO's you see they are cozy with the TAB heads. e.g. Glenda Hughes, Gary Woodham both ex TAB whilst Bernard Saundry in the same building and too close to Australian interests. 

Obviously if the racing Minister following on from my complaint makes enquiry from them they will quickly back up the TAB decision. However my investigation showed there was little consultation or interest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

Your argument only enforces what I've been saying all along. i.e. there should have been more consultation with the codes. Now if you look at the code CEO's you see they are cozy with the TAB heads. e.g. Glenda Hughes, Gary Woodham both ex TAB whilst Bernard Saundry in the same building and too close to Australian interests. 

Obviously if the racing Minister following on from my complaint makes enquiry from them they will quickly back up the TAB decision. However my investigation showed there was little consultation or interest.

Consultation was getting no where unless you have been living under a log for last 15 years. Everyone wanted change at TAB and cost reductions. The new act provides that via a structure for survival of fittest and cost reductions. As for  cosy , that's just plain nonsense as Mc Kenzie got rid of Woodham or did you overlook that. Hughes was an abject failure whilst TAB chair and was quickly shown the door by WP once Messara report arrived