Bit Of A Yarn

SENZ Radio.... Sport - but Racing???

14 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Consultation was getting no where unless you have been living under a log for last 15 years. Everyone wanted change at TAB and cost reductions. The new act provides that via a structure for survival of fittest and cost reductions. As for  cosy , that's just plain nonsense as Mc Kenzie got rid of Woodham or did you overlook that. Hughes was an abject failure whilst TAB chair and was quickly shown the door by WP once Messara report arrived 

The Act stipulates consultation with codes. That means written fully documented consultation.

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Everyone wanted change at TAB and cost reductions.

Shifting costs off the balance sheet from one industry agency to another industry agency doesn't improve the industry at all.

As for the movements of Woodham, Hughes et al nothing has changed.  Same old same old on the respective Boards as well.

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Everyone wanted change at TAB and cost reductions.

Shifting costs off the balance sheet from one industry agency to another industry agency doesn't improve the industry at all.

As for the movements of Woodham, Hughes et al nothing has changed.  Same old same old on the respective Boards as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 2:54 PM, mikeynz said:

You may say that but so many of the young announcers try to be comedians,hopefully most of the radio sport lot stay on the sideline.

Radio sport I reckon went downhill when Telfer got the heavo for Devlin who right now on zb is talking the biggest load of shit you are ever likely to hear.

Despite the fact that technology is good,for some strange reason when I want to watch or listen to a race through the TAB website it always cuts out usually half way through the race,it's just not reliable and the internet is generally good where I am,that's what pisses me off,radio is generally always reliable.

I see Devlins made the herald for being a dickhead,I'm not one to be a critic here of others,he is the exception,when he took over from telfer on radio sport that was it for me,other than live cricket and a wee bit if rugby I gave up on it,strange how it died a slow death.

• Like 1

Seems this new setup will be up and running soon,they have completed their midweek crew.

Probably will have nrl and I see this organisation also has the rights to cricket in aussie which does attract a lot of interest so live commentary is probable.

Hopefully if there is racing they can get it right,saturday arvos would be good as starting point, after all where things double up you can switch things on to a online platform,radio sport use to have a extra channel when more than one event was on at same time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Lok like you have been Slam Dunked 

Not really. Its the industry that has been slammed. Radio was a cog in the wheel. Removing it makes the wheel likely to collapse.

The whole formula of paying high salaries is killing racing. Those with the salaries mostly have little experience or real knowledge of racing. It also prevents enterprising ideas being injected into racing when the single most inefficient aspect is the entrenched salaries.

There could have been a host of innovative schemes possible with radio but then oh... that would show up the "executives" as clueless.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Not really. Its the industry that has been slammed. Radio was a cog in the wheel. Removing it makes the wheel likely to collapse.

The whole formula of paying high salaries is killing racing. Those with the salaries mostly have little experience or real knowledge of racing. It also prevents enterprising ideas being injected into racing when the single most inefficient aspect is the entrenched salaries.

There could have been a host of innovative schemes possible with radio but then oh... that would show up the "executives" as clueless.

Trackside Radio was not an earner, it was one of those nice to have extras.

Remember what you and others were harping on about for decades- cost reductions. As soon as the new board and CEO took the knife to the TAB cost structures the likes of you go off and even write letters to Robertson. As the saying goes" you cant have your cake and eat it to". On the positive side , such actions have recently seen an extra 5 mio go to the 3 bodies to use in whatever way their boards decide. The balance sheet has also seen some nice improvements in recent times resulting in reduced debt levels. 

The new act has seen a truly fundamental reset of the NZTAB and its functions. Cost cuts including those on big salaries and departure of tote machines Radio etc are about  20 mio last time i heard. The fact that bodies employed those who were shown the door suggests they are the ones with the real issues IMHO

I see this new setup has a app you can download,its starting soon.a lot of stuff will be through the app I guess,hopefully though they can get the right mix as in radio and racing,the internet is a great thing but so is the radio,we will just have to wait and see.

I notice Mr Devlins not on radio today,Miles Davis is on,he's ok,maybe Devlins not gunna be on,that would be a positive.

As for a positive I've been doing some research into senz,overall they look like a well run setup,there is room for a well run sports and racing setup,bring it on.

On 5/06/2021 at 1:15 PM, mikeynz said:

I notice Mr Devlins not on radio today,Miles Davis is on,he's ok,maybe Devlins not gunna be on,that would be a positive.

As for a positive I've been doing some research into senz,overall they look like a well run setup,there is room for a well run sports and racing setup,bring it on.

Miles Davis can't stand him. In saying that, have  him over  Devlin any day of the week.

4 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Senz through the app are now broadcasting live cricket from England,I guess when the radio starts it will be there too,I suspect this new setup is gunna be good and that is from a racing view as well.

Hope youre right, we certainly need it!

I see Devlins not on zb again this weekend,hard to believe hes on holiday doing part time hours,maybe hes gone.

Senz on the app are running the same stream that the tab have at this stage but the cricket was on the phone app only,coudnt find it on the pc but its a work in progress,a lot of new apps dont  work on older devices it seems.

Phone app for cricket last was stopping and starting,dont know if the problem was at my end or somewhere else but once again reiterates the fact that technology is still airyfairy lots of times,radio is usually reliable unless you run out if battery or back over it or something😂and they say it's free online but those internet provider charges can mount up over time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Senz starts monday morning,this time next week,first radio racing show,if its shit then the only way to get through is to tell them but let's just see first aye.

I see Frequencies , hopefully its independent enough to have a point of view on things locally, though that doesn't look likely with BS showing his support for it.

Michael Guerin (@GuerinSports) | Twitter

52 minutes ago, barryb said:

954am Hamilton was not broadcasting this morning.

Not a good start.

It says on website some places coming soon,Hamilton is one of them so dont panic it will arrive someday.

Ian Smith comes from or lives in Hawkes Bay,i wonder where he is working from,sometimes they can work from home/

I see that the trackside simulcast on the computer,I pad etc is now gone and been replaced with the radio which is ok but you can watch ,listen to trackside on the app only it seems,I have a listen,it's ok but not a all day station for me, a fair bit of reruns too and the same old senz this senz that every ad break gets a bit monotonous,still have to wait and see what if any racings on,I know how I would do things but some people seem to think differently,as I say we will wait before passing judgement.

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

I see that the trackside simulcast on the computer,I pad etc is now gone and been replaced with the radio which is ok but you can watch ,listen to trackside on the app only it seems,I have a listen,it's ok but not a all day station for me, a fair bit of reruns too and the same old senz this senz that every ad break gets a bit monotonous,still have to wait and see what if any racings on,I know how I would do things but some people seem to think differently,as I say we will wait before passing judgement.

Takes time to get advertising on board and I would presume Mediaworks is helping out with selling advertising for them. If you look online it seems that the bloke who is in charge of SENZ & the CEO of Mediaworks are chummy, so that is my guess.

takes to find advertisers I am sure, so they have to fill the ad’s with something to give the hosts a break. 

Edited by Bill

I enjoyed the station this week, only suggestion I'd have is that they need a professional DJ on in the mornings to assist the ex sports persons just to help the flow/delivery etc, but apart from that its at least one positive the return of the radio!