Bit Of A Yarn

Oamaru going to the dogs

So it appears that the plan is to put a new greyhound track in the middle of Oamaru racecourse, to replace Forbury. It makes sense, plenty of room both inside the tracks, and around the outside for facilities .

But as usual, some part time hobby harness trainers are grumbling. They can't cope with change. Hopefully, everyone plays nicely, gets along and cooperates. After all, any business is good for an under utilised course like Oamaru.

3 hours ago, Ludwig said:

So it appears that the plan is to put a new greyhound track in the middle of Oamaru racecourse, to replace Forbury. It makes sense, plenty of room both inside the tracks, and around the outside for facilities .

But as usual, some part time hobby harness trainers are grumbling. They can't cope with change. Hopefully, everyone plays nicely, gets along and cooperates. After all, any business is good for an under utilised course like Oamaru.

Are many greyhounds trained south of the Waitaki? 

3 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Is the racing club going to still keep going there.i mentioned on another thread they seem to get dicked around all the time with their racedays.

All good questions. As I understand it, gallops in Oamaru are under the control of Otago Racing Club. So what their plans and intentions are, who would know.?

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

All good questions. As I understand it, gallops in Oamaru are under the control of Otago Racing Club. So what their plans and intentions are, who would know.?

Sometimes in the past when Wingatui is too wet Oamaru has been a good second option.

22 hours ago, Ludwig said:

This seems like one of those ideas that makes no sense.For that reason that's why they may actually be considering it.

Putting a greyhound track inside a trotting track,which is already inside a galloping track would result in no spectators whatsoever. I've been to addington and forbury dogs.Just the once. And it was a total waste of time,you can't see them because they are so far away. And here you have a suggestion that you put in a track at least another 50-100m further away from spectators. Anyone who watches dog racing in australia can see that they often get reasonable crowds at tracks where the dogs are within touching distance of the spectators.Increase the distance between the on track action and the spectators,and you decrease the numbers attending.

Then you have the location of the dog population. Sure,90% of the trainers that currently go to forbury won't have to travel an extra 1 1/2 hours,but if thats the logic being used why not put the track closer to christchurch. There is a couple of smaller greyhound trainers who are listed as living in oamaru,but having 2 or 3 locals really is not saying much. 

Theres got to be better options than oamaru.And surely if they do put in a new track somewhere in otago,they will design it to make it more enticing to view than most greyhound tracks in nz.

• Like 4

Galah, you are correct regarding not being able to see the dogs!

Even Addington track is too far away to watch the dogs easily, however Not many owners actually go oncourse to watch their dogs race anyway!

Wouldnt be too concerned about it as Swarbrick and her Lefty Losers want the dogs GONE!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, the galah said:

This seems like one of those ideas that makes no sense.For that reason that's why they may actually be considering it.

Putting a greyhound track inside a trotting track,which is already inside a galloping track would result in no spectators whatsoever. I've been to addington and forbury dogs.Just the once. And it was a total waste of time,you can't see them because they are so far away. And here you have a suggestion that you put in a track at least another 50-100m further away from spectators. Anyone who watches dog racing in australia can see that they often get reasonable crowds at tracks where the dogs are within touching distance of the spectators.Increase the distance between the on track action and the spectators,and you decrease the numbers attending.

Then you have the location of the dog population. Sure,90% of the trainers that currently go to forbury won't have to travel an extra 1 1/2 hours,but if thats the logic being used why not put the track closer to christchurch. There is a couple of smaller greyhound trainers who are listed as living in oamaru,but having 2 or 3 locals really is not saying much. 

Theres got to be better options than oamaru.And surely if they do put in a new track somewhere in otago,they will design it to make it more enticing to view than most greyhound tracks in nz.

You mentioned spectators,what are they,are they a endangered species or something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Ludwig said:

One positive is the trotting club use the grass track a bit,in some small way i was a little surprised that Waikouiti race club didn't move to Oamaru,its more in their geographical area,the racing club does have one good day in July but the other 2 meetings are pretty average events at best.

Don't know how far it ended up going, but there was investigations and discussions held- which could very well still be going - into a straight greyhound track at Ashburton. 

I'm presuming the Forbury decision jas probably defaulted that idea, but word was that it came about through Christchurch Greyhound Racing Club having had enough of Addington Raceway.

13 hours ago, Big Bang said:

Don't know how far it ended up going, but there was investigations and discussions held- which could very well still be going - into a straight greyhound track at Ashburton. 

I'm presuming the Forbury decision jas probably defaulted that idea, but word was that it came about through Christchurch Greyhound Racing Club having had enough of Addington Raceway.

A bit off topic I guess,  but personally, I like the idea of straight tracks for dog racing.   The potential for interference and injuries when dogs are scrambling round corners would, one would think, be much reduced, and could be a way of front-footing the push to end greyhound racing.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Freda said:

A bit off topic I guess,  but personally, I like the idea of straight tracks for dog racing.   The potential for interference and injuries when dogs are scrambling round corners would, one would think, be much reduced, and could be a way of front-footing the push to end greyhound racing.

Agree those corners certainly take their toll injury wise.