Bit Of A Yarn

Mayor Molloy: There is a limit to how far you should stick you head above the Parapet!

Chief Stipe

Auckland businessman Leo Molloy to run for mayor in 2022 local election

3 minutes to read
Auckland businessman Leo Molloy plans to run for mayor in the 2022 local election. Photo / Michael Craig

Auckland businessman Leo Molloy plans to run for mayor in the 2022 local election. Photo / Michael Craig

NZ Herald

Auckland businessman Leo Molloy plans to run for the city's mayor in the next election - saying he is tired of the central city's traffic congestion issues and promised to create a "vibrant town" if elected.

Molloy's intention to run for mayor was announced via a post on the HeadQuarters bar Facebook page - deeming him a "coruscating contender" that wanted to get Auckland "moving again" and was against "woke pretentious white whingeing wankers".

The HeadQuarters bar owner told the Herald he had long been cynical about Auckland Council's ability to "deliver anything significant at the micro-level".

"Things like consents, interpretation of the RMA [Resource Management Act], having to deal with Panuku [Panuku Development Auckland] which most often is difficult."

The controversial hospitality figure said the "final straw that broke the camel's back" was dealing with Auckland Transport and the way they were redeveloping "the waterfront streets with a particular focus on their provision for cyclists and one-way traffic".

And he said he couldn't wait to get into the electoral debates, "preferably in front of cameras".

"I'll tear anybody who they put up against me from limb to limb. I've got an appetite for it, I'm enthusiastic and passionate about it. I can't wait to get into the arena and take the gloves off and let's get started."

The restaurateur was convicted, fined and ordered to complete community work earlier in the year for flouting a High Court suppression order and naming Grace Millane's murderer online - a conviction he is now appealing against.

The conviction would not be an impediment to his mayoral plans, he said.

Molloy and his bar HeadQuarters have made headlines in the past – including for a since deleted Facebook post in May 2020 on the bar's page that was perceived as homophobic and claimed the Prime Minister had told "lies and half truths" about the spread of Covid-19 at hospitality venues.

Among the claims, the post asserted a man who spread the virus in South Korea attended a number of "gay dungeon bars".

Molloy apologised for using the words "gay dungeon bars" and vehemently denied he or the bar were homophobic.

In the Facebook post announcing Molloy's intention to run for mayor, the bar said it was:

• Pro business.

• Pro "user pays" infrastructural investments.

• Pro making the city "party friendly".

• Pro "rainbow".

• Pro "activating" the waterfront.

• Pro RMA reform.

• Pro immigration.

• Pro growth for the peripheral city.

• Pro a "bloody good" clean-out at Council.

• Pro expediting the consents process.

• Pro housing growth.

• Pro creating great environments for kids & families, eg. salt water swimming pools around the harbour.

• Pro getting a decent "downtown" sports & events stadium.

• Pro supporting the homeless, the vulnerable, and the needy.

• Pro Covid vaccination, and precluding those not vaxxed from flying in or out of Auckland.

On the other hand, the post said they were against "using inner-city hotels for quarantine" and "woke pretentious white whingeing wankers who're self-victimisers immersed in cancel culture".

Molloy said he was looking for a running mate and keen to hear from anyone interested in "some sort of joint, collaborative type platform".

Molloy would make a great Mayor.

Auckland needs a major shakeup. It needs a brash hardline approach to cleanout the council waste and cutback on the overpaid, under performing leeches who inhabit every department of the organisation.

Get in behind him Chief..........but not too close.

download (1).jpg

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, KickintheKods said:

Auckland needs a major shakeup. It needs a brash hardline approach to cleanout the council waste and cutback on the overpaid, under performing leeches who inhabit every department of the organisation.

Don't disagree however Molloy will act as only an amusing sideshow and probably limit the chances of getting rid of the likes of Goff or his Left anointed successor.

The dirt diggers won't have to do much digging that's for sure!

All that side he was probably pissed and was playing on Facebook on his permanently attached tablet and let rip.  The fact he is appealing for a running mate and organisational support indicates that it was nothing more than a spur of the moment brain fart.

• Haha 3

The Diminutive's are PEOPLE too you know..

Even though they have to jump up and down to raise their big heads above the parapet..to be heard...they're good for target practice

...it also helps to have a mega rich sis to pay fines...sub lawyer fees...and finance the bar life

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, paleface adios said:

Molloy would he not give them a good shake up 

Unless he gets a 'Molloy team' elected with him, he'll soon learn that he, like all councillors, only has one vote. Making wholesale change as a lone wolf is near impossible & if you alienate the other councillors & the staff (who can make life difficult if you have shit on them) your term in office will be lonely and most uncomfortable.

Another observation from my time around the traps is that narcissists and local government go together like oil & water.

On that basis, I'm now going out to buy a huge supply of popcorn and a new recliner so I can settle in for one hell of a ride while this plays out.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Chimbu said:

Unless he gets a 'Molloy team' elected with him, he'll soon learn that he, like all councillors, only has one vote. Making wholesale change as a lone wolf is near impossible & if you alienate the other councillors & the staff (who can make life difficult if you have shit on them) your term in office will be lonely and most uncomfortable.

Another observation from my time around the traps is that narcissists and local government go together like oil & water.

On that basis, I'm now going out to buy a huge supply of popcorn and a new recliner so I can settle in for one hell of a ride while this plays out.

Thing is as well, going be abit of a protest vote going on. Because if Craig Lord, Molloy and John Tamihere stand. Going be a good split in the vote, before get to new lefty Labour backed contender and if someone like Mark Mitchell stands.

8 minutes ago, Gospel of Judas said:

Thing is as well, going be abit of a protest vote going on. Because if Craig Lord, Molloy and John Tamihere stand. Going be a good split in the vote, before get to new lefty Labour backed contender and if someone like Mark Mitchell stands.

If they all stand when the time comes it will be a massive shit fight. The issues will get lost in the character assassinations & one-upmanship. Not great news for Auckland should it happen like this.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2021 at 5:31 PM, Chimbu said:

If they all stand when the time comes it will be a massive shit fight. The issues will get lost in the character assassinations & one-upmanship. Not great news for Auckland should it happen like this.

People got remember, going be nothing force if does not come with a team. Mayor in reality, is only the casting vote.

On 14/07/2021 at 6:47 PM, The Centaur said:

My legal contact tells me August 2nd is the date for Molloys appeal hearing.

Now I don't trust Auckland lawyers. If there is money floating around anything could happen. Even to a point the Police don't put up a good opposing counter argument.

Considering some of crocked shit Molloy done, anything possible,

Edited by Gospel of Judas

• 3 weeks later...

For all you Leo fans🤣

Auckland businessman and mayoral candidate Leo Molloy is appealing his conviction for deliberately flouting a court suppression order and naming Grace Millane's murderer online.

Molloy, who is best known as the owner of Viaduct bar HeadQuarters, is to date the only person charged by New Zealand police over dozens of suppression breaches before and after the high-profile murder trial of Jesse Kempson in November 2019.

Kempson's suppression remained for several months after he was sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering the British backpacker because he faced two further trials for violent sexual offending against two other women.

But before Kempson's suppression lapsed late last year, Molloy posted the killer's name on an online forum while the killer's jury was deliberating in November 2019. Molloy pleaded guilty to knowingly or recklessly breaching Criminal Procedure Act suppression provisions and sought a discharge without conviction.

E.

However, Judge Peter Winter convicted, fined $15,000 and ordered him to complete 150 hours' community work earlier this year.

Today, Molloy, a qualified veterinarian, and his lawyer David Jones, QC, asked Justice Timothy Brewer at the High Court in Auckland to quash the restaurateur's conviction and sentence. The judge reserved his decision after a nearly hour-long hearing

Molloy not only posted the name of the accused but a full blown photo.

I recall somewhere on the other site him saying that doing community service was an "honour" and has often skited how much money he has. So I fail to see how he can possibly complain about the penalty which compared to other cases overseas was extremely light.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Where does that place you?

Suck Up Sell Out GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

Neutral as has always been the case but don't let facts get in the way of your obsessional pouting's. Your gold at that.

In fact your above  reply reeks of "pot calling kettle black"

He clearly irritates you yet based on his posts elsewhere i'm of the view he could not give a toss about you- wonder why?? 

Edited by JJ Flash

5 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Neutral as has always been the case but don't let facts get in the way of your obsessional pouting's. Your gold at that.

In fact your above  reply reeks of "pot calling kettle black"

He clearly irritates you yet based on his posts elsewhere i'm of the view he could not give a toss about you- wonder why?? 

You're becoming boring and dreary @JJ Flash