Bit Of A Yarn

What's the go here?

8 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Hi Karrots,welcome back.🤩

I have been enjoying Combo of Olympics & Queensland Winter Carnival at Albion Park.(including following Gammalites Musings)

Yes,after The Wigg Team was late scratched by Order Of Stewards a couple of weeks back,She was told Her Trainers License would be suspended pending an Inquiry.

Therefore her Racing Team were transferred elsewhere immediately.

However,with initial test results not showing any irregularities,Her Trainers License is still valid.

Steven Reid/Simon McMullen look like they have kept the promising maiden.

Hi Taupiri,

Nice to hear from you, Im off to bed now, just in a scrap with Ranga haha. Not sure why I like Ranga, but bring it Ranga, bring it.

Thought you might have the ins and outs re this case. Hmm most interesting. Its all a bit weird I thought and I was initially bitterly disappointed at first reaction. I mean good grief you and me, had really hummed her up on here as others had re her being our best driver and all. So that would of really let the team down.

Well I do hope that no wrong doings have gone on. I shall stay objective and not get all subjective here. So shall step aside and await results.

Hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karrotsisback said:

had really hummed her up on here as others had re her being our best driver and all.

did we ever get the 'reason ' Tim Vince handed in licence at the Wigg's training establishment?

Just give Danielle Hill , the South Australia pocket dynamo a plug here as well, as she drives well like the Wigg sisters.

Danielle (with only one eye after horrendous crashes) has broken her Australian record tonight !!!  

6 wins (and a 2nd) on the 7 race card at Globe Derby Park SA today. wow ! that's great going 

she has driven 6 winners on the card on 5 Occasions now !!!

Breaking her own record of being the only driver to have 6 winners on 4 occasions.

Sure, they only toddle along at 2min mile-rate down there , but a fine achievement all the same. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Laurel Hubbard appeared as though she haunt prepared for the games at all!

You can not tell me that someone in that had been male and now supposedly female could turn up in that condition and be rated as one of the best weightlifters in the world female!!!

The arms looked like an old woman’s arms that hadnt lifted anything for years!

Got no problem at all with what gender he or she wants to identify as, but seriously to represent NZ at the Olympic Games and can not lift a successful lift well under her personal best is disgraceful!

Then to say she choked when she has had years to prepare and wouldve had taxpayers money is an absolute load of BS unfortunately.

Needs to hang up her bra or jockstrap and retire!

Just thinking,it would have been good if she had a black singlet like Fred Dagg,maybe even gumboots as well.

On a serious note probably at the age it is time will beat her,but it is true at any Olympic Games you have to perform to your best,sadly that didn't happen in this case,Beatrice Faumaina springs to mind.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Just give Danielle Hill , the South Australia pocket dynamo a plug here as well, as she drives well like the Wigg sisters.

Hi Gamms,ironic you have made this observation.

Have you also noticed that Danielle Hill has driven winners for Tim Vince/Sheryl Wigg during 2020/21.

They sent across their R59 5yo Pacer SIMON (4 NZ Wins) to South Australia.

Racing from stable of Jake Webster,Simon ,racing mostly around Globe Derby,recorded 10 wins in 12 months,doubling his career earnings.

Danielle Hill was in the sulky for 4 of these wins.

Simon has since transferred to your 'neck of the woods' this year,racing from the Ron Sallis barn.

After setbacks,has yet to succeed after 3 Albion Park runs,but had a pair of 'soft kill' wins at Redcliffe last month.🤑

With NZ's inferior handicapping system,Simon may have had 1 more Alex Park win/or 2 at Cambridge,and failed to 'pay his way' bigtime!

• Like 3

On 8/3/2021 at 2:33 PM, Brodie said:

NZ has always been good at events that involved sitting on our butts

Unfortunately the New Zealand bloke needed to stay sitting on his butt on his bike, in the Team Pursuit just now . He was Riding for Bronze against Australia in the '4 man team pursuit'.

Unfortunately he hit a wheel of a team-mate , (just like a good trotting driver would lol,....)   and his butt was now sitting flat on the valodrome track,  instead of being on his bike. oh dear.

so Bronze to Australia on this occasion. 

Edited by Gammalite
add
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karrotsisback said:

What's the go Taupiri any further news ? … Curious just as note that she isn’t down to drive any of her horses at Camb in Amateur race.

Karrots,Sheryl incurred the wrath of Stewards at Addington on 20 June ,using whip with more than a wrist flicking motion,suspended 2 months  21/6/21 to 20/8/21 inclusive.

As fate would have it,her horse here Franco Hoffman ran 2nd,the winning driver being her Twin Sister Cheree.

At his following start,Franco Hoffman went on to win,this time also driven by Cheree Wigg.Sibling Rivalry is alive and well.😄

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:54 AM, Taupiri Wonder said:

With NZ's inferior handicapping system,Simon may have had 1 more Alex Park win/or 2 at Cambridge,and failed to 'pay his way' bigtime!

Hi Taupiri

I am doubting your assertion, but could you explain the difference between Australia and New Zealand's Rating system, and highlight the various inferiorities

Many thanks

13 minutes ago, Michael said:

Hi Taupiri

I am doubting your assertion, but could you explain the difference between Australia and New Zealand's Rating system, and highlight the various inferiorities

Many thanks

Oops Taupiri. that should have read "I am not doubting your assertion....."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Michael said:

Oops Taupiri. that should have read "I am not doubting your assertion....."

Taupiri isn’t one to get involved in conflict, as its just a question, Ill go & answer to the lil I know on subject.

They seem to have a Jnr concession allowance in some races. E.g. if you put a Jnr on that has Jnr allowance, you deduct e.g. 2-3 points for that race. So if your R57 put a Jnr on minus 2 points, you can get into race up to R55. They also use it for pref barrier draws. So your rating becomes lower ,so you can get a better draw.

Note the Jnr concession is coming to NZ too. Handicappers have announced it. Not yet the mare concession.

They also have mare concessions too. And maybe even 3 year old concessions.

They seem to have enough horses that say are R55 or NR55 over there, they can run Divisions same nite, it could be up to NR55 races, but might hold 3 divisions. Division 3 for runners that have won lowest stake money that season.

Recall Camb doing something like this maybe 2 years ish ago. Thought was a good idea. But seemed to stop after only 2-3 times. So in this type case, seems like individual clubs could program such things. Eg in past 3-4 starts the lowest stake money or if you ran out of top 4 in past 3-4 starts, up to say R50-R57 can enter & Division 1 be for the others up R50-57.

In Oz seems you only get 2-3 points added to your rating if you win NR55 Division 3, but maybe if you win Division 1 of up to NR55 you might say 4-5 points added. Division 1 would be inform runners within grade up to NR55.

Might not have all this bang on, so Taupiri can correct or add anything worth a mention hehe. 

Edited by Karrotsisback

2 hours ago, Karrotsisback said:

These two types of concessions would be another nail in the coffin.  Fillies and Mares allowances in NZ Thoroughbred racing have done nothing to help retain numbers or increase the number of races per horse.

They've done the opposite and forced the previous mainstay of NZ racing, the durable aged gelding, out of racing.

Some idiot statistician or most likely an accountant discovered the fillies and mares race less than geldings and figured that they needed an allowance to compete.  Well the stat's haven't improved but the number of aged geldings racing has declined as has the number of races and the quality of the fields.

41 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

These two types of concessions would be another nail in the coffin.  Fillies and Mares allowances in NZ Thoroughbred racing have done nothing to help retain numbers or increase the number of races per horse.

They've done the opposite and forced the previous mainstay of NZ racing, the durable aged gelding, out of racing.

Some idiot statistician or most likely an accountant discovered the fillies and mares race less than geldings and figured that they needed an allowance to compete.  Well the stat's haven't improved but the number of aged geldings racing has declined as has the number of races and the quality of the fields.

Oh I was just noting any differences I have seen between Oz & NZ rating system.

The ones I like are the Jnr as it encourages to get Jnrs a go. And I like the division thing where if you haven’t won stake money then you go into that division within the grade - and if you win get less points. Also like the idea if you win a race at say Camb then you get less points for a win oppose winning at say Alex.

Haven’t really thought about the mare or 3 year old concession thing.

On that other thread, if thinking about it more in-depth, think Brods is right.

Its about coin & peeps

Eg money put into industry - comes from the following mainly

Sponsors, punters, owners

So would need to ask the question why are they starting to dis-engage. Can it be fixed or not I suppose???

Back to subject wonder when MVB will be doing a follow up article - Titled the swabs came back negative if that was indeed the case. Im so curious about this case, due to Wigg being voted our BOAY drive of season. Better not put egg on our BOAY poster faces. 

Edited by Karrotsisback
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Karrotsisback said:

Haven’t really thought about the mare or 3 year old concession thing.

Your thoughts are all good Karrots.  LOL to think that HRNZ wants to curtail online discussion!

I'm just really anti concessions for fillies, mares and age for that matter.  Those things were lobbied for by the breeders in the Thoroughbred industry and in my opinion have been counterproductive to the quality of the breed, retaining horse numbers and generating wagering revenue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karrotsisback said:

Taupiri isn’t one to get involved in conflict, as its just a question, Ill go & answer to the lil I know on subject.

They seem to have a Jnr concession allowance in some races. E.g. if you put a Jnr on that has Jnr allowance, you deduct e.g. 2-3 points for that race. So if your R57 put a Jnr on minus 2 points, you can get into race up to R55. They also use it for pref barrier draws. So your rating becomes lower ,so you can get a better draw.

Note the Jnr concession is coming to NZ too. Handicappers have announced it. Not yet the mare concession.

They seem to have enough horses that say are R55 or NR55 over there, they can run Divisions same nite, it could be up to NR55 races, but might hold 3 divisions. Division 3 for runners that have won lowest stake money that season.

Recall Camb doing something like this maybe 2 years ish ago. Thought was a good idea. But seemed to stop after only 2-3 times. So in this type case, seems like individual clubs could program such things. Eg in past 3-4 starts the lowest stake money or if you ran out of top 4 in past 3-4 starts, up to say R50-R57 can enter & Division 1 be for the others up R50-57.

In Oz seems you only get 2-3 points added to your rating if you win NR55 Division 3, but maybe if you win Division 1 of up to NR55 you might say 4-5 points added. Division 1 would be inform runners within grade up to NR55.

Might not have all this bang on, so Taupiri can correct or add anything worth a mention hehe. 

Thanks Karrots, lovely answer

But you have highlighted a couple of concessions that they use that any Club can use in New Zealand if they want

What I was asking of Taupiri is the difference between the Ratings system in each country, followed on by him highlighting the NZ inferiorities he referred to

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still no official comment from RIU or HRNZ - lack of transparency by both administrations is poor. 

If is was a "red herring" raid tell us or if still investigating tell us but silence since mid July (near 3 months ) is a poor example of keeping the public informed.

Can someone who has the authority/connections please update us - getting frustrating. 

• 3 weeks later...

"Acting on a report provided by Racing Investigators who completed a stable inspection at the training premises of ''''''''' this afternoon, Stewards ordered that  xxxxxx, xxxxxx and xxxxx be scratched acting under Rule 213(1)(c). An investigation was opened into this matter."

Any update - it is now months since media reported this.

Surely transparency by the RIU and HRNZ means a comment should be made.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LongOwner said:

"Acting on a report provided by Racing Investigators who completed a stable inspection at the training premises of ''''''''' this afternoon, Stewards ordered that  xxxxxx, xxxxxx and xxxxx be scratched acting under Rule 213(1)(c). An investigation was opened into this matter."

Wonder this as well! perhaps we should file a missing person report!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Acting on a report provided by Racing Investigators who completed a stable inspection at the training premises of ''''''''' this afternoon, Stewards ordered that  xxxxxx, xxxxxx and xxxxx be scratched acting under Rule 213(1)(c). An investigation was opened into this matter."

<

This came to light on the 17th July 2021 and still no report or comment from the RIU. Surely as a professional body some statement from them is well overdue.