Bit Of A Yarn

Robust process my arse

3 hours ago, Freda said:

When I was at

When I was at school a CEO was a bloody secretary.

Quite right Pam.  The minute they start referring to themselves as the 'CEO' alarm bells should ring.  Twenty five years ago when Chittick, Fenwick and co were trying(unsuccessfully) to shut the Country Clubs down I was Secretary of Greymouth and Reefton and I always said 'if a Club boss calls himself the CEO that is a sure sign that that Club should be shut down'.

CEO is a wanky name for the Manager

I suppose the industry has come into money so they have to spend it somehow. Don't want to waste it on stakes.

They are probably overwhelmed by the extra profits accruing from the shutdown of Hokitika, Blenheim, Banks Pen, Waikouaititi, Waimate etc. They have probably saved enough money from the closure of all those tracks to fund an AWT at Ascot Park.

We are probably only about a month away from a fairly comprehensive report detailing the net benefits to the industry of all those tracks this season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

CEO is a wanky name for the Manager

Back in the day of full grandstands and full fields the CEO (secretary) was a part-timer with another full-time (usually Accountancy) job... and many of them went out and personally canvassed for nominations.

I can recall a former secretary regularly attending trackwork on Monday mornings (in all weathers) taking noms from trainers before going to his main place of employment !

• Like 1

Yes, I can remember going in to an accountancy firm in Oxford Terrace to get the fields..

The name Oliffe comes to mind, but may be mistaken there.  Warren Barberel was another early secretarial model I think.

Edited by Freda

13 hours ago, Freda said:

Yes, I can remember going in to an accountancy firm in Oxford Terrace to get the fields..

The name Oliffe comes to mind, but may be mistaken there.  Warren Barberel was another early secretarial model I think.

I remember that name Oliffe too.  Can't think of the firm name

15 hours ago, billy connolly said:

Back in the day of full grandstands and full fields the CEO (secretary) was a part-timer with another full-time (usually Accountancy) job... and many of them went out and personally canvassed for nominations.

I can recall a former secretary regularly attending trackwork on Monday mornings (in all weathers) taking noms from trainers before going to his main place of employment !

That's exactly what I was - an Accountant moonlighting as a racing Club Secretary.  Mind you I didn't do the raceday stuff too much(a few times but preferred not to) and by that stage the fields were done on the NZTR computer then later by the bureau.

Whatever happened I found I was spending far too much time on racing and not enough on paying the mortgage via the business so chucked it in.  I did however do a quick calculation when they were trying to shut us down and discovered that - in the late nineties - our admin(Secretarial) costs worked out at about $3500 per raceday compared to the CJC's $10,000 per raceday. Does that stat give any clues why these big Clubs are in trouble?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Reefton said:

I did however do a quick calculation when they were trying to shut us down and discovered that - in the late nineties - our admin(Secretarial) costs worked out at about $3500 per raceday compared to the CJC's $10,000 per raceday. Does that stat give any clues why these big Clubs are in trouble?

It certainly does & on that note how on earth does an organisation like NZTR justify a COO & CEO from a cost perspective?

• Like 3

I've an open mind on this.

So could someone answer the following.

What are the tertiary qualifications.?

Does the person possess a MBA?

What are his skills, qualifications and management experience within IT? I ask this question because predominantly the "operations" of racing revolves around expeditious use of IT.

What legal qualifications are possessed? 

18 hours ago, Freda said:

Oliffe may have been associated with the Timaru Racing Club. Might be totally wrong of course.

11 hours ago, Huey said:

It certainly does & on that note how on earth does an organisation like NZTR justify a COO & CEO from a cost perspective?

Was wondering that myself.

As was pointed out to me by a member of a particular committee - 'it's easy to spend someone else's money' ....in this case, ours.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Centaur said:

I've an open mind on this.

So could someone answer the following.

What are the tertiary qualifications.?

Does the person possess a MBA?

What are his skills, qualifications and management experience within IT? I ask this question because predominantly the "operations" of racing revolves around expeditious use of IT.

What legal qualifications are possessed? 

Connect the dots for  role specific Qualifications.

3 hours ago, Freda said:

Was wondering that myself.

As was pointed out to me by a member of a particular committee - 'it's easy to spend someone else's money' ....in this case, ours.

One would expect the initiatives being rolled out that are aligned with the reports would require someone on a project basis, however if the current leadership is incapable of delivering on them (which has been very apparent for some time) perhaps this person is being bought in as a replacement, but all the same its very difficult to see why an organisation like this requires two very senior likely very expensive leaders.

Of course much of the new leaders apparent skill set comes from his already established relationships within the industry which has already been pointed out.

I'm of the opinion the current leadership and board should have been capable of delivering on the asset grab side of things.