NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

3 All Weather tracks

barryb

19 July 2018, 4:08 p.m.

Three all-weather tracks for NZ

Racing Minister Winston Peters announced at a public meeting held in Invercargill on Wednesday night that three all-weather tracks have been earmarked for construction around New Zealand.

As reported by the Otago Daily Times, he said each track would be financed through the provincial growth fund.

''We know that we are going to have to have three all-weather tracks in this country.''

''There will be one probably around the Waikato, there will be one probably around Awapuni - I don't know where exactly - and one in the South Island.

''Likely to be near Christchurch. You can't muck around, you can't have 38, 46 events being cancelled and all the losses involved.''

''This will be funded, I might add, by the provincial growth fund, but we want clubs to put their share up as well.''

• Champ Post 1

I wonder if the wily old bugger had the Racing industry in mind when he negotiated the billion dollar(per year) regional fund as part of the coalition deal, knowing that any new tracks would probably be in the regions

Edited by hesi

2 minutes ago, hesi said:

I wonder if the wily old bugger had the Racing industry in mind when he negotiated the billion dollar(per year) regional fund as part of the coalition deal, knowing that any new tracks would probably be in the regions

He had in mind winning back Northland to keep his party in Parliament.  They won't win that and I might add Christchurch is not 'the regions' either so it is a misnomer to describe it as coming from the provincial growth fund(neither is Dunedin either where Jones was lavishing money about today).  And you are hardly going to transfer from Omakau to Riccarton(or wherever it is) on the morning of the races when the track is dodgy are you?

Interesting to not that apparently if you hold off until the morning of the races to cancel(like Westland) you get a lot of the NZTR payouts anyway whereas go a couple of days early(like Kumara) and you get nought.  Great incentive for Clubs to hold off and prevent (say) Reefton being all set to host the Kumara day next year if the shiite hits the fan.  Another example of forward thinking to stop the stakeholders getting opportunities.

Still good to have the money coming into the industry and to have the possibility of a good even winter surface.

6 minutes ago, hesi said:

They could always take the innovative approach and put one on the West Coast, isn't that Kumara Nuggets meeting legendary.

If a Strathayr can handle monsoon rain at Shatin, it could probably do alright on the Coast

Interesting possibility.  I think though Kumara's attraction is its uniqueness - run more than one meeting a year and that will go out the door(though they tell me NZTR are dead keen to have the Westland meeting permanently moved there).

I actually suggested that Kumara convert to a trotting club and install an all weather - 99% of the drunks wouldn't know the difference much less care.  Another helpful suggestion totally ignored.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reefton said:

Interesting possibility.  I think though Kumara's attraction is its uniqueness - run more than one meeting a year and that will go out the door(though they tell me NZTR are dead keen to have the Westland meeting permanently moved there).

I actually suggested that Kumara convert to a trotting club and install an all weather - 99% of the drunks wouldn't know the difference much less care.  Another helpful suggestion totally ignored.

Agree about the drunks..!   ...seriously,  it is the uniqueness,  as you say,  that is it's attraction..  also,  despite that,  Kumara is cash-strapped - and has woeful facilities for stabling horses.

Westland,  with land assets,  adequate if modest stabling/yards, and adequate cash as well,  not in the same category at all.  Given the history of NZTR for making stupid decisions,  this would be another one IMO.

11 hours ago, barryb said:

19 July 2018, 4:08 p.m.

Three all-weather tracks for NZ

Racing Minister Winston Peters announced at a public meeting held in Invercargill on Wednesday night that three all-weather tracks have been earmarked for construction around New Zealand.

As reported by the Otago Daily Times, he said each track would be financed through the provincial growth fund.

''We know that we are going to have to have three all-weather tracks in this country.''

''There will be one probably around the Waikato, there will be one probably around Awapuni - I don't know where exactly - and one in the South Island.

''Likely to be near Christchurch. You can't muck around, you can't have 38, 46 events being cancelled and all the losses involved.''

''This will be funded, I might add, by the provincial growth fund, but we want clubs to put their share up as well.''

how can 3 all weather tracks help nz racing  .       i didnt realize 38 or 46 meetings were cancelled thats nearly one a week ?????

Edited by wally

34 minutes ago, Huey said:

Interesting comment about the clubs putting in their share as it looks like a lot of the clubs that would benefit the most have little or anything to put into these ventures I'd have thought.

true in many cases but Riccarton is flush right now isn't it?

3 hours ago, Freda said:

Agree about the drunks..!   ...seriously,  it is the uniqueness,  as you say,  that is it's attraction..  also,  despite that,  Kumara is cash-strapped - and has woeful facilities for stabling horses.

Westland,  with land assets,  adequate if modest stabling/yards, and adequate cash as well,  not in the same category at all.  Given the history of NZTR for making stupid decisions,  this would be another one IMO.

Not my call Pam - only reporting what the strong word about the place is.  Kumara's reliance on the other Coast clubs to stable their runners has been a point of debate for years and years along with their reluctance to come around and help clean the aforementioned stables out when everyone has gone home.  They(well some of them) do have a bit of a superiority complex about their meeting.

I don't think Kumara is as cash strapped as what it used to be - it used to be a bit lavish in some of its spending on raceday hire etc but I think that has been curbed.  When the rest of us brought the new gates they struggled to pay their share(in fact I think the late Diane Howe paid it for them or at least lent them the money)

54 minutes ago, wally said:

how can 3 all weather tracks help nz racing  .       i didnt realize 38 or 46 meetings were cancelled thats nearly one a week ?????

Check that count for yourself - Winnie is a bit prone to guessing figures - the other day he said there are only two unrecovered bodies in NZ mines(other than Pike).  There are two in Strongman alone let alone Brunner and Kaitangata and whatever other disasters there have been.

As I said in previous posts - if you don't have ten of these AW tracks dotted about the place you are hardly going have adequate cover for on the day cancellations(not that I am advocating ten AW tracks).  In this day and age the bottom line is that health and safety overrides everything and we simply have to stomach the cancellations.

Does anyone else notice that every time there is a steeplechase run at Te Rapa or Wellington or Riccarton how they say that the going is so much better on the steeple course?  Invariably those steeple tracks have not been 'renovated' but equally will have had just as much rain as the course propers.  All the turf culture brains in the world will not improve on tracks set up by nature and hence the lack of cancellations on tracks that have not been 'renovated'.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shad said:

Always wondered  why greymouth never raced at  omoto, after the end of there all weather track racing.

The prospect of flooding.  We(in my time as GJC Secretary) discussed the possibility of an AW trotting track but if you have seen the Grey River in high flood you will know why it was not feasible.

And like a lot of Committee people the general feeling among the GTC was if we lose our track we will be out.  We at Reefton would be the same(as will the vast majority of Westland if it happens) 'if they don't want our track they don't want us' and will just walk away.  I have been looking for an out for years so it certainly will not worry me if Messara plugged the plug on us but please don't expect me to contribute with either enthusiasm or financially elsewhere.  it might be only a thousand bucks plus petrol money and time but it will be gone from the game if that happens.  Thinking through our sponsors I suspect there would not be too many keen to front up somewhere else and the committee - not a one.

Even racing them is a massive drainpipe for cash (bearing in mind having a 20% share of a $600,000 winner) so regardless of what Messara does when the current selection of donkeys are done I will be unlikely to take up the cudgels for another go anytime soon. 

Edited by Reefton

32 minutes ago, Reefton said:

.  I have been looking for an out for years so it certainly will not worry me if Messara plugged the plug on us but please don't expect me to contribute with either enthusiasm or financially elsewhere. 

pulled the plug not plugged the plug!

13 hours ago, barryb said:

Wait till this makes mainstream media.

The moaning will be intense, Nurses, Teachers, kids with no shoes/food, homeless & bloody so on.

Don't worry about Soper Bazza..

Winnie will destroy his pathetic arguments agin the Racing rebound fund...

...then when Cindy gets back she'll rubber stamp Winn's championing of the Racing Industry...

...I bet you cant wait until she starts breastfeeding the Princess in the debating chamber while supporting Winn??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

true in many cases but Riccarton is flush right now isn't it?

No,  not at all....the funds from the new housing development do NOT go to the CJC,  rather to the R.R Trustees who are charged with maintaining reserves for the future and benefit of racing for the people of Canterbury.  Interest from those funds will be allowed to go to the CJC but as yet,  payment in full is a fair way away.

Not my call Pam - only reporting what the strong word about the place is.  Kumara's reliance on the other Coast clubs to stable their runners has been a point of debate for years and years along with their reluctance to come around and help clean the aforementioned stables out when everyone has gone home.  They(well some of them) do have a bit of a superiority complex about their meeting.

I don't think Kumara is as cash strapped as what it used to be - it used to be a bit lavish in some of its spending on raceday hire etc but I think that has been curbed.  When the rest of us brought the new gates they struggled to pay their share(in fact I think the late Diane Howe paid it for them or at least lent them the money)

Check that count for yourself - Winnie is a bit prone to guessing figures - the other day he said there are only two unrecovered bodies in NZ mines(other than Pike).  There are two in Strongman alone let alone Brunner and Kaitangata and whatever other disasters there have been.

As I said in previous posts - if you don't have ten of these AW tracks dotted about the place you are hardly going have adequate cover for on the day cancellations(not that I am advocating ten AW tracks).  In this day and age the bottom line is that health and safety overrides everything and we simply have to stomach the cancellations.

Does anyone else notice that every time there is a steeplechase run at Te Rapa or Wellington or Riccarton how they say that the going is so much better on the steeple course?  Invariably those steeple tracks have not been 'renovated' but equally will have had just as much rain as the course propers.  All the turf culture brains in the world will not improve on tracks set up by nature and hence the lack of cancellations on tracks that have not been 'renovated'.

Edited by Freda

Even if Riccarton were flush with funds it obviously makes sense for them to make a contribution to an AW track as that's where its being proposed to be located so their contribution should go without saying.

It's the other smaller clubs contributions that I'd be concerned about the ones that are potentially going to be eaten alive by it, perhaps some contribution mechanism could be put in place based on the number of race dates held at each club.

11 hours ago, Turny said:

Near Christchurch - that means Rangiora or Motukarara - OMG, really

If NZ racing doesn't get a significant re-structuring through the Messara report,  it won't matter where they are.

They - on their own - won't turn our fortunes around significantly and we won't be able to afford to maintain them.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Te Rapa and Pukekura today, what complete shit. Only a couple handle going, hug rails, wins. Others have no chance even on the turn, that is bad. 

Bring on all weather track racing, would be good to see all horses a chance on the turn. By the way, not my money talkin, hardly bet on nz racing in winter

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Te Rapa and Pukekura today, what complete shit. Only a couple handle going, hug rails, wins. Others have no chance even on the turn, that is bad. 

Bring on all weather track racing, would be good to see all horses a chance on the turn. By the way, not my money talkin, hardly bet on nz racing in winter

Thought the same. 

I really can't understand why the N.Z.T.R haven't said to Auckland RC....stop patching your track up-we'll ( i.e. the Development fund ) will go50/50 on putting in a Strathyar. Or: no more permits to race there until you guys come to your senses and get yourselves into the 21st Century..

• Champ Post 1

46 minutes ago, Kopia said:

I really can't understand why the N.Z.T.R haven't said to Auckland RC....stop patching your track up-we'll ( i.e. the Development fund ) will go50/50 on putting in a Strathyar. Or: no more permits to race there until you guys come to your senses and get yourselves into the 21st Century..

Wouldn't that be a first, the body that supposedly runs racing, laying the law down to one of it's members

But agree, lateral drains every 5m, is peace meal stuff compared with the comprehensive drainage works required in installing a Strathayr

Edited by hesi

26 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Would be a challenge putting a Strathayr into Ellerslie.

What would be the challenges

If they stripped the track right back to a 2 foot depth to put in all the drainage layers, is there a concern about what they might find