Bit Of A Yarn

Trentham Track

Trentham Track Update

NZTR’s National Track Advisor Todd Treweek has inspected the Trentham track which was a Dead 5 on the morning of Wednesday 12 January.

There has been 116mm irrigation applied over the past 9 days and the intention is to apply more this week as needed. The grass cover is good and core samples taken at various parts of the track, along with the Moisture Meter reading (38%), indicate good moisture to a depth of 200mm. CD trainers representatives had also walked the track earlier in the week and declared themselves happy with its preparation.

Could this be the day they finally get it right.......or not?

Meticulous planning and craftmanship, hundreds of man and lady hours, have been invested into ensuring New Zealand's premier race track is in pristine condition for tomorrow.

Every available member of the Petone head office team has spent allocated work time away from their desks and pie warmers, and been down the road helping out. 

Each was given one of the flash new watering cans, especially designed by NZTR.

What could possibly go wrong????

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, nomates said:

It is a sad sight . Breaks my heart . And they want to do a full refurb of the public amenities , waste of money .

But i bet they still do it .

No point unless it provides another source of revenue.  In that regard Trentham cannot compete with Central Wellington.

Need to invest in renovating the track.  The members stand is more than sufficient to cater for the crowds they get now.

13 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

No point unless it provides another source of revenue.  In that regard Trentham cannot compete with Central Wellington.

Need to invest in renovating the track.  The members stand is more than sufficient to cater for the crowds they get now.

It would be complete waste of money to renovate the track , as much as i hate saying it the champagne turf has seen it's day , sell it , put down a strathayr at Otaki and make Levin a training hub . That could all be done and there would be truckloads left over for improved stakes .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Problem solved!

Easy peasy lemon squeezy , if only Joe . But really sticking a new coat of paint on isn't going to do it .

I've been having a think about it and if the CD wants to survive and get stronger they may have to do what Auckland is doing , basically become the CD Racing consortium , or something similar . If they don't i believe they will be swallowed up .

I mean that crowd there today is an embarrassment , something has seriously gone wrong in Wellington .

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I'm at a MM party on our 30 degree day, booze, bbq and a lovely cool pool.......and what are we all talking about.......the size of the gathering at Trentham.....not a crowd.....a gathering........FFS. Beside wife swapping, what else do they do in Welly......?

Jealousy rears it's ugly head , no more please . 

Enjoy your day and win bucket loads .

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Is it an earthquake risk?  Or weren't there enough mirrors in the bathroom?

Both. No aircon. No dark beers. No zero alcohol ones either. Couldn't get  a lemon lime and bitters for the missus. Queues at the tote windows even though I bet on my phone. Committee folk were lovely though.

2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Tina take a bow, why she's plying her trade there is beyond me, both her and Hazel would make it here no worries.......must be the Chch lifestyle, must be something!

She likes the scenery.  She, Sam and the dog go all over the magnificent Sth Island. 

• Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

Huge crowd.

It's a week earlier than traditionally - had to change it to accommodate Karaka and Auckland - now they don't need to but the damage is done.  Still the same as all the main tracks around NZ - it's not an attractive day out.