Bit Of A Yarn

When and how did you get involved in the game?

Walt

I'm always interested in hearing what got you started in harness racing and kept you in it for years?

When I as about ten, I far king hated horse racing. My dad was a dollar each way and doubles punter and not a very successful one. He'd be walking around with this huge radio on his shoulder listening to race calls all day on Saturday even when we were out and about at sports events etc. I couldn't understand what the race caller was saying but knew I didn't enjoy it. Neither did my siblings. The race call would often end with one word being strongly expressed by my dad. That word started with an "F"

To wrap up this enjoyment I'd often be left in the car outside the TAB for hours while my dad "just nipped in for a minute". 

Then one day he won a nice amount off doubles and bought gifts and treats for the family. Maybe punting wasn't so bad. I'd tag along when he went to the races on course and enjoyed it very much. My dad would give me $2 on Saturdays to take 4 x 50 cent doubles. Winning $300 from a 50 cent double was a great feeling especially when you consider what you could buy with $300 back then. 

Horses that I followed were Master Dean, Forto Prontezza, Mighty Gay, Palestine, Nimble Yankee, Trusty Scot, Lunar Chance, Stanley Rio, Bolton Bryd, Lord Module, Captain Harcourt, Speedy Guest, Wee Win, Nigel Craig Easton Light, Petite Evander etc etc.

I'd read the racing liftout from the Press that the teacher would always save for me. On Friday night I'd be laying on the floor in the lounge with the Friday Flash and Press lift out spread over the floor while my dad and I would study for hours looking at trial results and trackwork etc. Putting my interpretation on form write ups was an interesting challenge. I'd see the race live and know a certain horse was desperately unlucky and climbing over them at the finish. The form write up in the Turf Digest read, "trailed in midfield, battled on fairly".  I was winning often and my dad's strike rate lifted. The father and son time was one I look back on with fondness. I became a gun tipster even as a 12 year old boy. I'd go with my dad to his engineering workshop on a Saturday morning. My dad's workmates and football teammates would always ask me for my tips. I'd give them five runners and it was unusual not to nail 4 winners and often 5. 

Later we got involved with ownership of numerous horses that achieved mostly modest results with a couple of exceptions. That aspect cemented the life long interest in the game.

As an adult I'd get VHS video's sent to me every week by a contact at the TAB covering all of the previous weeks racing. They were gold and I'd share them with my punter mates who also found them very helpful. I'd have weekly phone calls with Michael Dore pleading with him to get horse racing on our TV screens. His response was to always say they would like to but it was just too big a gamble. I'd point out to him the irony of it all. The TAB is all about gambling and encouraging their customers to gamble but they themselves are terrified of risk taking. 

I celebrated the eventual arrival of Action TV. They have got some things right but sadly, their motivations and priorities are diluting and devaluing the very things that make the game so enjoyable. Wall to wall racing coverage is an epic fail. Important features are missed and or obliterated. Quantity rules over quality. One could be forgiven for believing Tracksides target audience are compulsive gamblers. I feel we need three Trackside channels. One for Harness, one for the gallops and one for the greyhounds. The agenda must be quality over quantity. They also need colourful presenters that know their stuff and didn't just leave school the week before. They need to be free to express personal perspectives. It's my sincere hope that the channel Jason Teaz is fronting will be a wake up call to Trackside to lift their game.

That's my Sunday morning bla bla bla. My dad did get one thing right. He always said I could talk the ears off a dead donkey :) 

Edited by Walt
  • Like 3
  • Champ Post 3

5 hours ago, Walt said:

I'm always interested in hearing what got you started in harness racing and kept you in it for years?

When I as about ten, I far king hated horse racing. My dad was a dollar each way and doubles punter and not a very successful one. He'd be walking around with this huge radio on his shoulder listening to race calls all day on Saturday even when we were out and about at sports events etc. I couldn't understand what the race caller was saying but knew I didn't enjoy it. Neither did my siblings. The race call would often end with one word being strongly expressed by my dad. That word started with an "F"

To wrap up this enjoyment I'd often be left in the car outside the TAB for hours while my dad "just nipped in for a minute". 

Then one day he won a nice amount off doubles and bought gifts and treats for the family. Maybe punting wasn't so bad. I'd tag along when he went to the races on course and enjoyed it very much. My dad would give me $2 on Saturdays to take 4 x 50 cent doubles. Winning $300 from a 50 cent double was a great feeling especially when you consider what you could buy with $300 back then. 

Horses that I followed were Master Dean, Forto Prontezza, Mighty Gay, Palestine, Nimble Yankee, Trusty Scot, Lunar Chance, Stanley Rio, Bolton Bryd, Lord Module, Captain Harcourt, Speedy Guest, Wee Win, Nigel Craig Easton Light, Petite Evander etc etc.

I'd read the racing liftout from the Press that the teacher would always save for me. On Friday night I'd be laying on the floor in the lounge with the Friday Flash and Press lift out spread over the floor while my dad and I would study for hours looking at trial results and trackwork etc. Putting my interpretation on form write ups was an interesting challenge. I'd see the race live and know a certain horse was desperately unlucky and climbing over them at the finish. The form write up in the Turf Digest read, "trailed in midfield, battled on fairly".  I was winning often and my dad's strike rate lifted. The father and son time was one I look back on with fondness. I became a gun tipster even as a 12 year old boy. I'd go with my dad to his engineering workshop on a Saturday morning. My dad's workmates and football teammates would always ask me for my tips. I'd give them five runners and it was unusual not to nail 4 winners and often 5. 

Later we got involved with ownership of numerous horses that achieved mostly modest results with a couple of exceptions. That aspect cemented the life long interest in the game.

As an adult I'd get VHS video's sent to me every week by a contact at the TAB covering all of the previous weeks racing. They were gold and I'd share them with my punter mates who also found them very helpful. I'd have weekly phone calls with Michael Dore pleading with him to get horse racing on our TV screens. His response was to always say they would like to but it was just too big a gamble. I'd point out to him the irony of it all. The TAB is all about gambling and encouraging their customers to gamble but they themselves are terrified of risk taking. 

I celebrated the eventual arrival of Action TV. They have got some things right but sadly, their motivations and priorities are diluting and devaluing the very things that make the game so enjoyable. Wall to wall racing coverage is an epic fail. Important features are missed and or obliterated. Quantity rules over quality. One could be forgiven for believing Tracksides target audience are compulsive gamblers. I feel we need three Trackside channels. One for Harness, one for the gallops and one for the greyhounds. The agenda must be quality over quantity. They also need colourful presenters that know their stuff and didn't just leave school the week before. They need to be free to express personal perspectives. It's my sincere hope that the channel Jason Teaz is fronting will be a wake up call to Trackside to lift their game.

That's my Sunday morning bla bla bla. My dad did get one thing right. He always said I could talk the ears off a dead donkey :) 

Sometimes i can be accused of being negative but on some of your comments i agree.

Nice to reflect, i think as we age we are actually in the best position to compare then and now,today its just more and more, but mores not always better.

Rugby is no better, go back to 98 when the blues played the crusaders,{and 98 aint that long ago} the country almost ground to a halt for the final,played in the daytime, next week probably almost be forgotten by monday.

As for trackside i just watched a few races and im done with it for the day,often only watch if nought better to do, use to like the trackside radio as we all know but i just tune in to other things now, makes one realise there are other things in life, horse racing aint so big for me now, sometimes wall to wall coverage does promote problem gambling but only winners get restricted, losers are most welcome,almost VIPs.

The only time the wall to wall coverage is good is late on Saturday with the barrage of world class gallops from oz, late friday or sunday night barrage of dog racing,some might like i guess but ive never been a fan of dog shit.

Jason Teaz friday show is ok, cuts out all the crap. Trackside is all about sqweezing every cent they can.

One difference was the vhs videos we had werent horse racing.

• Like 2

Your story has quite a few similarities to mine.

Both my parents enjoyed going to the races,and so it seemed did nearly all my uncles and some of my aunties,and grandparents. I got started with betting when i was at primary school,and myself and my brother would use our pocket money from jobs like mowing lawns to take the 50 doubles. My father would have one of his employees put his and our bets on when he was out doing his rounds.

Back then the local radio stations would do coverage of all the local meetings races,and the doubles from other meetings..Our local radio station at one stage had an announcer who on saturdays would broadcast all the south island races,so we were lucky with that.Up until my late teenage years sport always took priority, but if the timing was right it was off to the races with  the family afterwards,and regular trips to christchurch for a weekend with the relations which invariably included the night trots.

Once i started work i had a boss who would let me finish early if a local meeting was on.Back then i ran a betting syndicate with all the employees putting in $5 and everyone taking there turn betting,and the payout coming in handy for christmas. 

I too used to be supplied the video tapes of nz racing by the man who ran the local tab. Thats when you rung the local tab with your bets on the phone betting. He was super fast with putting them on at the last minute. Silly thing was he a top bloke who knew the right thing to say whoever his customers were in his local tab. Then the TAB changed premises,and he had to reapply and they gave the job to someone who while nice,had no experience with punters and just wasn't the same character the fella they no longer wanted. Seemed crazy,but thats when i realised the TAB really didn't understand how punters tick.

Most of the time mu focus has been on the punting.Back in the day i used to back on all 3 codes,but now days i just focus on the harness racing. I have always bet on every race,mostly on the tote,but due to pools not being as big i have been doing part tote and part fixed odds. Unfortunately the tab now just slash anything i back and the tote price drops because people back the ff movers. Just in the last few months its lead me to reduce my betting significantly.   Personally i know someone(not me) who was spending about 2.5 mil a year just through the tote,but the tab with their algorithms have seen his spend drop in recent months to about 1/10th of what it was prior. I tell him why do you bother. I say that because thats what i often think myself.

I agree with those who say the TAB only encourage losing punters,and discourage winning punters. It doesn't take a genius to work out that this strategy  will ultimately lead to less punter participation. If someone thinking about having a bet only know punters who lose,why would anyone bother. 

The thing i like best about the sport is watching the horses and drivers. I don't have the level of anticipation or excitement that i used to ,but i think thats just an age thing.Besides you don't have to bet to find harness racing entertaining. When trackside took away the free to air racing it meant a lot of people who watched it ,including those who were introduced to it for the first time,would not be exposed to what it has to offer.

I was talking to a bloke the other day who had a couple of run ins with authorities and no longer trains.Seems a shame to not use his talent.I asked him if he missed it. He said yes he missed the horses,but not other aspects of it. At the end of the day it is the horses that is unique to this sport,and it is them which is the greatest selling point.Maybe the current and future generations no longer can relate ,or won't get the right type of exposure to the horse and the sport of harness racing,but i will keep enjoying it as it will always appeal to me.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, the galah said:

Both my parents enjoyed going to the races,and so it seemed did nearly all my uncles and some of my aunties,and grandparents. I got started with betting when i was at primary school,and myself and my brother would use our pocket money from jobs like mowing lawns to take the 50 doubles. My father would have one of his employees put his and our bets on when he was out doing his rounds.

Back then the local radio stations would do coverage of all the local meetings races,and the doubles from other meetings..Our local radio station at one stage had an announcer who on saturdays would broadcast all the south island races,so we were lucky with that.Up until my late teenage years sport always took priority, but if the timing was right it was off to the races with  the family afterwards,and regular trips to christchurch for a weekend with the relations which invariably included the night trots.

Once i started work i had a boss who would let me finish early if a local meeting was on.Back then i ran a betting syndicate with all the employees putting in $5 and everyone taking there turn betting,and the payout coming in handy for christmas. 

I too used to be supplied the video tapes of nz racing by the man who ran the local tab. Thats when you rung the local tab with your bets on the phone betting. He was super fast with putting them on at the last minute. Silly thing was he a top bloke who knew the right thing to say whoever his customers were in his local tab. Then the TAB changed premises,and he had to reapply and they gave the job to someone who while nice,had no experience with punters and just wasn't the same character the fella they no longer wanted. Seemed crazy,but thats when i realised the TAB really didn't understand how punters tick.

Most of the time mu focus has been on the punting.Back in the day i used to back on all 3 codes,but now days i just focus on the harness racing. I have always bet on every race,mostly on the tote,but due to pools not being as big i have been doing part tote and part fixed odds. Unfortunately the tab now just slash anything i back and the tote price drops because people back the ff movers. Just in the last few months its lead me to reduce my betting significantly.   Personally i know someone(not me) who was spending about 2.5 mil a year just through the tote,but the tab with their algorithms have seen his spend drop in recent months to about 1/10th of what it was prior. I tell him why do you bother. I say that because thats what i often think myself.

I agree with those who say the TAB only encourage losing punters,and discourage winning punters. It doesn't take a genius to work out that this strategy  will ultimately lead to less punter participation. If someone thinking about having a bet only know punters who lose,why would anyone bother. 

The thing i like best about the sport is watching the horses and drivers. I don't have the level of anticipation or excitement that i used to ,but i think thats just an age thing.Besides you don't have to bet to find harness racing entertaining. When trackside took away the free to air racing it meant a lot of people who watched it ,including those who were introduced to it for the first time,would not be exposed to what it has to offer.

I was talking to a bloke the other day who had a couple of run ins with authorities and no longer trains.Seems a shame to not use his talent.I asked him if he missed it. He said yes he missed the horses,but not other aspects of it. At the end of the day it is the horses that is unique to this sport,and it is them which is the greatest selling point.Maybe the current and future generations no longer can relate ,or won't get the right type of exposure to the horse and the sport of harness racing,but i will keep enjoying it as it will always appeal to me.

3zb use to do the afternoon races, during the week you only got the results lots of times, we are actually quite lucky with all the info we have access too,( smartphones) but we are as a society all stuck on technology, not entirely convinced we are a better society though.

I use to love sports roundup in the summer, could listen to cricket all day, it informed and entertained, trying to listen to racing on a smartphone to a simulcast, fuckin shit.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, the galah said:

I have to be careful when I look back that I don't overplay my hand. I would tell my kids about these great TV shows we had in the 1970's but when I got to see reruns on Jones TV I realized many of the shows I thought were very good were actually crap that nobody would watch if they came out now.

The prospect of a horse winning the NZ Cup back then in sub 4 minutes was unthinkable. If you told people a NZ mare called Adore Me would run a mile in 1.47 you would have been carted off for a phycological assessment. The game has evolved for sure. I remember waiting for darkness to arrive so I could tune into 3ZB and listen to the Addington trots and 1ZB for the Auckland trots. Main problem was both stations were near the National program on the radio dial so it was common for the finish of a race to get drowned out by classical music etc. You'd then have to wait through a pile of advertising for 20 minutes until Mark Bennett would cross over to Reg Clapp or 3ZB to Reon Murtha. The fun and games really started if there was a protest. The radio station knew nothing and the TAB knew even less. 

The ZB networks would broadcast midweek doubles from the gallops if the races were worth 10k plus and 5k plus for the harness. It almost felt like Christmas when Radio Pacific arrived on the scene and we got to listen to virtually every race in NZ. I can't remember the last time I listened to a race on the radio. Now we routinely watch races from all over the globe. 

Back in the day the betting options were limited to win and place, quinella, doubles and trebles. The prospect of fixed odds was still decades away. 

As for future progress. I love to see complete transparency with all protests. If cameras can follow every sordid detail of the life of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard, surely we can get a camera in the room and stewards treated the same as everyone else in the game. No doubt if they do get to that point Trackside won't have time to show punters the action in the room. That could result in punters not seeing four greyhound races from Woollomulumbo. :) 

• Like 3

You reckon listening to 1ZB and 3ZB was bad, 2ZA was even worse, I use to put my old trusty tranny up against a post and  wire fence to get a boost, it never worked against a wooden one so I sawed one up for firewood.

As for the old tv shows, they were good at their time but music and comedy will always stand the test of time, thank god for you tube.

4 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

courtesy of alan richards, bryan waddle, peter sharp, iain galloway and others

Alan Mac, can't spell his name, Phil Stevens  Bryan Aldridge, I think, must have been on the radio in the background at many workplaces and holiday spots, no need to rush to the smartphone to get ya info., great days.

Sadly radio sport  wasn't really the same and eventually died, I maintain and always have the time they replaced Telfer with Devlin was the beginning of the end.

Radio sport was different from sports roundup in as such that radio sport tried to be fulltime, and sports roundup was seasonal, and in many ways that's where racing on radio could still be broadcast and mixed with some online coverage, no racing on Boxing Day, strange,.weve discussed that elsewhere before.

I always remember Alan Mac commentating cricket one day , and saying that Jock Edwards has just got going with a couple of meaty pull shots, always stuck in my mind.

Edited by mikeynz

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

3zb use to do the afternoon races, during the week you only got the results lots of times, we are actually quite lucky with all the info we have access too,( smartphones) but we are as a society all stuck on technology, not entirely convinced we are a better society though.

I use to love sports roundup in the summer, could listen to cricket all day, it informed and entertained, trying to listen to racing on a smartphone to a simulcast, fuckin shit.

We often listened to 3zb as the canterbury races were broadcast through there. Racing had a high profile,and the only time they delayed a broadcast was if the news was on or an important part of a shield game.One of the announcers at our local radio station used to give precedence to a race call over the news sometimes. The late 70's and 80's were a great era to be young and a lot of the  focus if you were young was on sport,and harness racing in the south island was a big part of that.

Talking about saturday radio covering sport,i remember driving  to addington one saturday afternoon listening to ken anderson on 3zb give his normal outstanding,colourful coverage of a ranfurly shield game.

I remember him saying how dark it had become on a wet afternoon,then a couple of seconds later the canterbury 1st five put up a high ball,and anderson described how as the opposing fullback waited to catch the ball, he had one eye on something coming towards him",its victor simpson,the outstanding Maori centre,with only the whites of his eyes visible,and oh he's dropped it,and who wouldn't drop the ball if they saw that coming at them." He had a way with words.Everyone loved it ,but now days he wouldn't be able to say stuff like that. 

But back to harness racing,for it to attract new customers,it needs to firstly somehow have those new customers experience what it has to offer.

Personally i've always believed that the focus on attracting younger customers has been a strategy doomed to failure.History also shows that. We aren't australia.

I've always believed any business should analyse who their current customers are,and then use that information to expand the numbers, by using their resources to target like minded,like circumstanced people.Thats what makes sense to me. Whats the point in focusing on trying to attract people under 35 who don't have the financial means to support an interest in racing.The best way to get initial exposure to that group,and their children is to encourage their parents or grandparents who you have attracted,to make racing a family event. Thats part of the reason why grass track racing has such an important place.They are places for extended families to attend. 

If resources are somehow to be used to focus on young people, harness racing  needs to works its way into receiving exposure in the education system. Not just one off visits.

For example say approach schools,organise with each of them visits to individually chosen stables,and vice versa and make it say a 2 monthly thing,and as a sweetener for participation in the programme from the school,it  is receive from sponsors,or a horse's owner or a driver part of a selected horse/drivers purse which would go to a fund raiser to support some type of worthy school project. Access be given to pupils to any websites,and emails obtained from pupils so regular updates can be sent to them on the horse or driver who is representing the schools progress. Stuff like that. 

Edited by the galah

I am not sure exactly when I  became a harness addict. I think early 70s, we lived in Torrens Rd not far from Addington so never missed a meeting. Later, I was lucky that my first ownership of a syndicate horse that was trained by Patrick O'Reilly sen. What a legend, and straight as an arrow. I remember we went to see the horse go as an early two year. Our horse was thrashed by another filly owned by outright by one of the syndicate members. I must have looked shocked but Mr O'Reilly said to me: "Don't worry, your filly is the better horse, she needs time." He was right. One day, the horse was worked at Carl Middleton's just over the road from O'Reilly stable. It was there that Mr O'Reilly told me that Gerard was the best driver in the family! This was a time when Patrick O'Reilly junior and Kerry O'Reilly were top drivers in the country. Gerard hadn't had a race drive at that stage. Gerard won his first race on one of my horses, I'm proud of that.

I've seen so many good horses.... Roydon Glen maybe the best of them. I followed Fred Fletcher, he's always win at least won at Addington each meeting. Jack Carmichael also looked after me on the tote. Trotters, too many to pick from including Sir Castleton, Basil Dean, No Response, Even Speed, Yankee Loch (thanks Jack!), Nigel Craig, what an era...

Edited by Davis
  • Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

33 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

In a completely different tangent and it is off topic I see Trevir Mallard is taking up a post in Europe, hopefully he has rocket jammed up his arse and its posted to the Ukraine.

That's good news but predictable. He was always going to get a cushy sinecure, most speakers ex Ministers do. Good riddance to the prick. You don't need a rocket mate. Let the arsehole stand behind a sour mare when in season, she'd kick the prick into orbit... good riddance. Corrupt arsehole.

Now let's get back to Harness, something worth talking about....

• Champ Post 2

1 hour ago, Davis said:

I am not sure exactly when I  became a harness addict. I think early 70s, we lived in Torrens Rd not far from Addington so never missed a meeting. Later, I was lucky that my first ownership of a syndicate horse that was trained by Patrick O'Reilly sen. What a legend, and straight as an arrow. I remember we went to see the horse go as an early two year. Our horse was thrashed by another filly owned by outright by one of the syndicate members. I must have looked shocked but Mr O'Reilly said to me: "Don't worry, your filly is the better horse, she needs time." He was right. One day, the horse was worked at Carl Middleton's just over the road from O'Reilly stable. It was there that Mr O'Reilly told me that Gerard was the best driver in the family! This was a time when Patrick O'Reilly junior and Kerry O'Reilly were top drivers in the country. Gerard hadn't had a race drive at that stage. Gerard won his first race on one of my horses, I'm proud of that.

I've seen so many good horses.... Roydon Glen maybe the best of them. I followed Fred Fletcher, he's always win at least won at Addington each meeting. Jack Carmichael also looked after me on the tote. Trotters, too many to pick from including Sir Castleton, Basil Dean, No Response, Even Speed, Yankee Loch (thanks Jack!), Nigel Craig, what an era...

Hey Davis,

Some big names there. You picked a good family to get linked up with. Pretty sure Kerry was the regular driver of Basil Dean who was a beauty at a time of some very big names. Some you mentioned. He was a favourite of mine.

Skipper Dale in the 80's and Tyrone Scottie in the 90's are a couple of well performed O'Reilly horses that come straight to mind. 

You're right about Roydon Glen. He was almost unbeatable for a while there and the big name horse of his day.

Jack Carmichael was another big name in the game. Cup winner Globe Bay and the horse you mentioned Yankee Loch were two of his best but he had many top horses. Yankee Loch won the Interdominion final in 1989 and Rowe Cup the same year. I was there to see the Rowe Cup victory but unfortunately never met Jack.

Jack would also be at every Hutt Park meeting and you knew if he'd had made the trip you up should get on. 

Nigel Craig was an outstanding trotter for the Heron's. If you left him out of the double leg, you wouldn't be getting the double.   

Carl Middleton was terrific with trotters. He had Fraggle Rock who won some big races. He won the Interdominion trotters final at Alexandra Park in 1991. Very sad to lose Carl.

I had a family contact with Cecil Devine as a boy so would usually stop in for a chat at his Templeton home whenever I was in Christchurch. He'd show me his cups and stop and take in his monument to his great False Step.

I struck up a friendship with Jack Smolenski in the 1970's and would catch up with him most times he took runners up to my local meeting. I don't know any trainer who could get horses away from a stand better or faster than Jack. He was racing the good mare Gina Marie at the time. She went on to produce the wonderful mare Gina Rosa. 

The caller at my local meeting was Jack O'Donnell who invited me up to his callers box to watch him call which was a buzz I won't forget. I was stoked he was in the ownership of the superb trotter Take A Moment. 

Good walk down memory lane.

Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 3

45 minutes ago, Davis said:

That's good news but predictable. He was always going to get a cushy sinecure, most speakers ex Ministers do. Good riddance to the prick. You don't need a rocket mate. Let the arsehole stand behind a sour mare when in season, she'd kick the prick into orbit... good riddance. Corrupt arsehole.

Now let's get back to Harness, something worth talking about....

Isn't it ironic that two ministers people wanted gone for some time allegedly spoke to Ardern about leaving Parliament in 2020. Yea right. The exact same time Labour had a landslide victory. No politician needs to be talked into staying with that dynamic in play. The other one plays jingle bells. Faafoi allegedly wanted to leave his job in 2020 because his youngest son would start school in 2023. Really? Ardern is that determined to sell that to avoid it appearing the opposition calls for resignations had been heeded. I've had six children. I love them very much but would never dump my employment to spend time with one of them starting school soon. Nobody I know would do that. I call BS on this reason / excuse.

I see the inept Poto Williams is finally gone. Why? because Luxon got some serious traction on his call to get tough on gangs. William's is so out of her depth she had to go but I regret the real motivation for the PM. Auckland is like the wild west at the moment with gangs and the Government has done approximately zero to stop what's unfolding but now they want to act. Why? Self preservation. Ardern is worried her time as PM will end in 2023. That much is clear.

I think our PM has been less than honest today so loses more respect.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

47 minutes ago, Walt said:

Hey Davis,

Some big names there. You picked a good family to get linked up with. Pretty sure Kerry was the regular driver of Basil Dean who was a beauty at a time of some very big names. Some you mentioned. He was a favourite of mine.

Skipper Dale in the 80's and Tyrone Scottie in the 90's are a couple of well performed O'Reilly horses that come straight to mind. 

You're right about Roydon Glen. He was almost unbeatable for a while there and the big name horse of his day.

Jack Carmichael was another big name in the game. Cup winner Globe Bay and the horse you mentioned Yankee Loch were two of his best but he had many top horses. Yankee Loch won the Interdominion final in 1989 and Rowe Cup the same year. I was there to see the Rowe Cup victory but unfortunately never met Jack.

Jack would also be at every Hutt Park meeting and you knew if he'd had made the trip you up should get on. 

Nigel Craig was an outstanding trotter for the Heron's. If you left him out of the double leg, you wouldn't be getting the double.   

Carl Middleton was terrific with trotters. He had Fraggle Rock who won some big races. He won the Interdominion trotters final at Alexandra Park in 1991. Very sad to lose Carl.

I had a family contact with Cecil Devine as a boy so would usually stop in for a chat at his Templeton home whenever I was in Christchurch. He'd show me his cups and stop and take in his monument to his great False Step.

I struck up a friendship with Jack Smolenski in the 1970's and would catch up with him most times he took runners up to my local meeting. I don't know any trainer who could get horses away from a stand better or faster than Jack. He was racing the good mare Gina Marie at the time. She went on to produce the wonderful mare Gina Rosa. 

The caller at my local meeting was Jack O'Donnell who invited me up to his callers box to watch him call which was a buzz I won't forget. I was stoked he was in the ownership of the superb trotter Take A Moment. 

Good walk down memory lane.

Cheers.

Carmichael was a great horseman, good driver and trainer. He had the knack of getting a run with a horse and no passing lane then. He'd give his horses an economical run and find gaps on the fence up the straight. He was good for $3 to $5 place chances regularly. I won plenty off him. I met him a few times because he drove a mare of ours I think from memory nine times, Jack never won but placed every time on her. Legend. But man of few words, he did his talking on the track.

Roydon Glen, certainty beaten in NZ Cup and felled in Derby. Normally, he would have won both those races and his record would look more outstanding. He had some mind-boggling performances... the Nz Messenger when he lost about 50-60m at the start looped the field and ran away from them. Another time he broke without about 300m to go in Junior FFA but somehow he still won... Marvellous horse. What a master trainer Fred Fletcher was, his horses were tough, fit and honest never went a bad race. Little Philippa Frost one of the gamest horses to look through a bridle and placed in some big races.

Smolenski. Kerry O'Reilly was a top driver and yes he drove Basil Dean. In fact when I first had a horse with O'Reilly Basil Dean was in the stable but I don't think he ever raced for the O'Reillys as owner trained him. Kerry never drove much after the Norton incident and I cannot blame him a bit, he had young family then. Norton was bought down just before the homebend at Addington, the horse went straight down and Kerry was propelled into the air at 5 or 6 metres up. He seems to hang in mid air in slow motion then he hit the track hard. That would be the worst smash I have seen at addington.

And finally, wouldn't Patrick O'Reilly be proud of his granddaughter Sarah, who is going to be the best driver of the lot.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

5 hours ago, Walt said:

Jack Carmichael was another big name in the game. Cup winner Globe Bay and the horse you mentioned Yankee Loch were two of his best but he had many top horses. Yankee Loch won the Interdominion final in 1989

4 hours ago, Davis said:

Carmichael was a great horseman, good driver and trainer.

Gave the winning drive to my good friend gentleman Jim O'Sullivan as well for the Big Win at Moonie Valley. Was a thrill to see that race go. have heaps of clippings from those glory days. here's one now . nice one Jack and Jim !!

Sir Castleton also winning an Interdominion in Australia (1984) for your great trotters . Getting revenge on Scotch Notch winning the trotters Inter GF at Auckland for the late Graeme Lang . the mighty legend Gammalite striking victory in the pacers section in both those years  !!!  1983 and 1984 

DSC02750.JPG

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

6 hours ago, Walt said:

Jack Smolenski in the 1970's and would catch up with him most times he took runners up to my local meeting. I don't know any trainer who could get horses away from a stand better or faster than Jack. He was racing the good mare Gina Marie at the time.

Here's a treat for you then Walt.

A nice pic of Gina Marie parading for Jack after winning the NI Standardbred Breeders Stakes.

She went on to make 'Open' Class as a four year old , but in that crop of 4 year olds were Lord Module, Locarno and Royden Scott so mares were not much chance against them in the feature races. (unless you are Delightful Lady lol...) 

DSC02751.JPG

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Here's a treat for you then Walt.

A nice pic of Gina Marie parading for Jack after winning the NI Standardbred Breeders Stakes.

She went on to make 'Open' Class as a four year old , but in that crop of 4 year olds were Lord Module, Locarno and Royden Scott so mares were not much chance against them in the feature races. (unless you are Delightful Lady lol...) 

DSC02751.JPG

Enjoyed your input very much Gammalite. 

I remember Lightning Blue winning the NZ Cup in 1987 for Jim beating Luxury Liner and Skipper Dale.

Love the picture of Gina Marie. She was a lovely mare. If you ever got to see Gina Rosa you could be forgiven for thinking she was a he across the chest. Very strong looking mare and boy could she run and fight. 

The three names you quoted in Gina Marie's year were magnificent. Roydon Scott had a huge motor. Locarno could drop on a field late from nowhere so you'd never give up on him. Then there is Lord Module. He was my all time favourite even when he told everyone to far koff.

I was there when he won the Alan Matson and his NZ Cup. That level of tingle was never felt on a racetrack before or since. The fact I had large wagers on him both times ensured the smile stayed for some time. There were heart palpitations of course when the whistle blew after his cup victory. 

His Alan Matson victory was his last race. What a way to go out and what a great field.

Stormy Morn won the Dominion earlier on the card. Norton won the 3 year old feature beating Mister Wood Chips and Mel's Boy for Jack. Among the beaten lot was the bonny filly Hilarious Guest.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Gave the winning drive to my good friend gentleman Jim O'Sullivan as well for the Big Win at Moonie Valley. Was a thrill to see that race go. have heaps of clippings from those glory days. here's one now . nice one Jack and Jim !!

Sir Castleton also winning an Interdominion in Australia (1984) for your great trotters . Getting revenge on Scotch Notch winning the trotters Inter GF at Auckland for the late Graeme Lang . the mighty legend Gammalite striking victory in the pacers section in both those years  !!!  1983 and 1984 

DSC02750.JPG

Jack was a master as setting a horse for a race. Look at Yankee Loch when he won the Rowe Cup, bolted in, could have gone another round. I thought Bolt For Brilliance's Rowe Cup win was reminiscent of Yankee Loch. Roll along in front, no can catch. Probably you or I could have driven him mate!

• Like 2

On 13/06/2022 at 2:44 PM, Davis said:

I think Gerard O'Reilly won his first race at Motukarara.Must have been about 1982 I think as I had just left school .I remember it because Dad made a small fortune off it.Pretty sure it was trained by his Dad

I was there for Lord Module's Allan Matson. World record at the time wasn't it? Just look at the depth in that field. When would be the last time we saw a field with that much depth. Superior Chance was a free legged pacer wasn't he? Something else I don't think we see any more. A pity we no longer use the historical names for some of the long established races.

My own favourite horse of that era was Locarno; a very flashy animal.

We were lucky to be at Addington in the late 70s and 80s. No Response's Interdominion, Scotch Tar racing against the pacers. Matai Dreamer a briliant horse we probably never saw the best of.

You do wonder where it all went wrong.