Bit Of A Yarn

Kelvin Tyler, Aussie stats.

6 hours ago, Freda said:

$66,000....a tad better than he would be doing here with one win and placings.

Be intere.sting to do the figures to see if they are on the plus side, seems the team he took with him are mostly racing regularly which helps.

He will learn that it is much harder to race a horse out of its class over there. Their racing is much better structured and horses tend to find their level. The art is to determine where a horse is well placed and a winning chance. What's the saying? Keep yourself in the best company and your horse in the worst.

The secret to Aussie racing is that they cater for all classes of horse very effectively.

I often think Winston would have done NZ racing a much bigger service if he had asked Messara to come over here and try to make our racing more exciting and relevant and better structured, rather than just asking him which 50% of our tracks should be eliminated without any desire to actually make our racing any better.

If Messara had come out and said "your pattern is all wrong, your handicapping is all wrong, your stakes allocation is all wrong" and other insights like that he could well have gone down in history as a messiah of NZ racing rather than being considered a half wit. As it is, he got the 50% the wrong way around.

• Like 4

I think the Tylers are a massive asset for NZ racing, just like Myers in the NI. I wonder if they are appreciated as much as they should be by NZTR? I suspect not. I recall the previous CEO basically said they won't be missed.

You do wonder if NZTR took any "learnings" at all from the fact that several significant trainers have voted with their feet and basically said " we don't have to put up with this shit." I'm sure it came as a bit of a surprise to them, but at the same time I suspect they are too stupid to realise it isn't a good thing for the industry.

10 minutes ago, Doomed said:

He will learn that it is much harder to race a horse out of its class over there. Their racing is much better structured and horses tend to find their level. The art is to determine where a horse is well placed and a winning chance. What's the saying? Keep yourself in the best company and your horse in the worst.

The secret to Aussie racing is that they cater for all classes of horse very effectively.

I often think Winston would have done NZ racing a much bigger service if he had asked Messara to come over here and try to make our racing more exciting and relevant and better structured, rather than just asking him which 50% of our tracks should be eliminated without any desire to actually make our racing any better.

If Messara had come out and said "your pattern is all wrong, your handicapping is all wrong, your stakes allocation is all wrong" and other insights like that he could well have gone down in history as a messiah of NZ racing rather than being considered a half wit. As it is, he got the 50% the wrong way around.

Very hard fro Messara to say any of that when he was working from a script , he got paid no matter what he suggested .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I think the Tylers are a massive asset for NZ racing, just like Myers in the NI. I wonder if they are appreciated as much as they should be by NZTR? I suspect not. I recall the previous CEO basically said they won't be missed.

You do wonder if NZTR took any "learnings" at all from the fact that several significant trainers have voted with their feet and basically said " we don't have to put up with this shit." I'm sure it came as a bit of a surprise to them, but at the same time I suspect they are too stupid to realise it isn't a good thing for the industry.

Southland have been lucky to have the odd larger team size trainers from the days of Rex Cochrane and Ted Winsloe  (gee how many horses are even trained at Gore now?) and the Tyler's today to bolster their numbers ,ain't many at Wingatui on Sunday, sure it's winter but with some pulling the pin, some giving up, some these are interesting times

On 30/06/2022 at 4:42 AM, Shad said:

Guess that good racing and stakes over there are tough to win, haven't follow all of his team, have they the track conditions to suit, his team prefers the soft stuff.

Exactly and some trainers who have threated to go over but haven't , have not gone for that very reason. 

On 30/06/2022 at 6:14 PM, Doomed said:

Of course it would have been had had he done so, but surely an industry such as racing can expect its governing body to take care of matters such of those in an adeqaute manner... no such luck here though.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Huey said:

Of course it would have been had had he done so, but surely an industry such as racing can expect its governing body to take care of matters such of those in an adeqaute manner... no such luck here though.

We have gone beyond expecting. I might seem harsh on NZTR at times, but every indication is that they are incompetent. The only other option is that they are totally in the pocket of certain factions and are eliminating about 70% of the industry to fund the remaining 30%.

I don't really subscribe to conspiracy theories though, and you do have to be quite clever to pull off something like that. Every indication is that they aren't that clever, although having said that they are being allowed to do what ever they like because there is virtually no opposition.

If NZTR was an incompetent city council (like Tauranga) or a DHB or school board the Govt would sack them and call in a commissioner to run the show, but because the industry as a whole has just laid back and waited to be shafted this is unlikely to happen.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Huey said:

Exactly and some trainers who have threated to go over but haven't , have not gone for that very reason. 

Yes, easy for most to say just pack up and head for the lucky country, and not just the cost of flying horses over, then getting a suitable property, all big costs involved in setting up, and having the stock to compete, see the stable has a couple in today, good luck to them, I'll be watching on, hopefully they can go well, they do say fortune favours the brave.

• Like 2

Racing .com i think has all the info, not easy to keep up, 4 runners today not sure if all are starting though, im not a rhodes scholer, on everything people.

Easy to boast about but the grass aint always greener, still it would a good trip, something different.

I will add , as he comes from Southland the grass wont be greener.

Edited by mikeynz

13 hours ago, Doomed said:

We have gone beyond expecting. I might seem harsh on NZTR at times, but every indication is that they are incompetent. The only other option is that they are totally in the pocket of certain factions and are eliminating about 70% of the industry to fund the remaining 30%.

I don't really subscribe to conspiracy theories though, and you do have to be quite clever to pull off something like that. Every indication is that they aren't that clever, although having said that they are being allowed to do what ever they like because there is virtually no opposition.

If NZTR was an incompetent city council (like Tauranga) or a DHB or school board the Govt would sack them and call in a commissioner to run the show, but because the industry as a whole has just laid back and waited to be shafted this is unlikely to happen.

Winston getting that clause in the Racing Act (and the effing Nats not screaming blue murder about it) means they don't have to be that clever.

If however the NZTR people were clever they would see the opportunity it now creates to cash up multiple high value and low returning assets of the industry and ultimately removing all the country clubs via them not being able to compete stakes wise.

Lets not hold our breath for them to see it though

Edited by Reefton
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

That racing.com site don't seem to update too flash but as it stands the record is 26 starts, 1 win, 75000 in stakes, i running tomorrow at Sunshine Coast, hasn't exactly set the world on fire, bit different from Wingatui and Ascot Park.

C'mon Mikey lad

Give my mate Kelvin a break - every tradesman deserves a holiday and I can't think of any better place to be than the Sunshine Coast and Brissy right now.

Let's face it mate, your own record of recent achievements and  bookkeeping is somewhat shabby, is it not?

Last time the private eye boys take a peep into your pottie, there was some dried up old semen, some infested fungus from a piece of 3 month old KFC and a pile of rotting old losing TAB tickets that you looked like you had been wiping your arse with.

None of us is perfect Mickey, but you shouldn't mock a man having a go as Kelvin is.

Now, have you got a tip for today. Mine is....never trust an electrician with no eyebrows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KickintheKods said:

C'mon Mikey lad

Give my mate Kelvin a break - every tradesman deserves a holiday and I can't think of any better place to be than the Sunshine Coast and Brissy right now.

Let's face it mate, your own record of recent achievements and  bookkeeping is somewhat shabby, is it not?

Last time the private eye boys take a peep into your pottie, there was some dried up old semen, some infested fungus from a piece of 3 month old KFC and a pile of rotting old losing TAB tickets that you looked like you had been wiping your arse with.

None of us is perfect Mickey, but you shouldn't mock a man having a go as Kelvin is.

Now, have you got a tip for today. Mine is....never trust an electrician with no 

Strange comments, dont think anywhere you'd find I'm putting anyone down, it's just interesting, not often one sees a team trained out of  Riverton trekking that far, be even less often you would see someone trekking from Queensland to these shores, maybe someone might one day just to get away from the heat or the rain, not sure if the stakes in NZ  would be a major attraction though  lol

4 hours ago, Freda said:

I'm sure he will find it comforting that you have an eagle eye on his efforts.

He will know to the last cent how the exercise has gone, and how his options are best served in the coming months.

I say good luck to him, and wish him all the best. Good on him for making the change.