Bit Of A Yarn

What happens next?

The debacle over the jumping features at Riccarton raises the question of what happens next?

Will future Grand Nationals be allocated elsewhere, if so, where? Or will the whole Grand National idea just be quietly buried?

How long before the Guineas are moved?

One thing of which I am certain. The thief who is pinching punnets of flower plants from my garden, will be launched over Jumbo as a final tribute !!!!

• Haha 2

If the National Week heads north, and only a matter of time ... Likely within a few years .... then other iconic events will go too. CJC will become level 2 tier racing, where they realistically belong, on a par with Tauranga and New Plymouth but slightly below Awapuni and Trentham.

Self inflicted 

15 minutes ago, Turny said:

If the National Week heads north, and only a matter of time ... Likely within a few years .... then other iconic events will go too. CJC will become level 2 tier racing, where they realistically belong, on a par with Tauranga and New Plymouth but slightly below Awapuni and Trentham.

Self inflicted 

Pretty much, yes.

However, Cup Week, in ChCh, has so much going for it apart from gallops, it really works, and that is one potent reason for leaving those races in place.

5 minutes ago, Freda said:

Pretty much, yes.

However, Cup Week, in ChCh, has so much going for it apart from gallops, it really works, and that is one potent reason for leaving those races in place.

Well tell CCC that .... now called Bloom Festival .... fitting in a way as we wither on the vine

• Sad 1

On 3/08/2022 at 6:12 AM, Turny said:

Well tell CCC that .... now called Bloom Festival .... fitting in a way as we wither on the vine

Yes i remember reading about that decision a couple of years ago.

I just re read the article and it stated the decision was to help people enjoy the regular events and shift away from the booze and gambling focus.

It seems it had the support of the two racing clubs.

Riccarton racecourse commercial manager said"cup and show week had not really resonated and wasn't well recognised".

Addington business and marketing manager said "they were extremely excited" about Bloom being the new branding.

So can't just blame the council,seems those commenting on it for the racing clubs thought it a good idea. It was one of those articles where you think is it april the 1st,but it was real.

1 hour ago, the galah said:

I just re read the article and it stated the decision was to help people enjoy the regular events and shift away from the booze and gambling focus.

Riccarton racecourse commercial manager said"cup and show week had not really resonated and wasn't well recognised".

Addington business and marketing manager said "they were extremely excited" about Bloom being the new branding.

So can't just blame the council,seems those commenting on it for the racing clubs thought it a good idea. It was one of those articles where you think is it april the 1st,but it was real.

I'm astounded.

1 hour ago, the galah said:

The fact that both clubs endorsed this is exactly why racing is in the dither that it is , diabolical that they didn't fight to keep it " Cup Week ". But then nothing about racing administration should surprise any of us now .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, the galah said:

Can u post the article. It sounds incredible!

1 hour ago, nomates said:

The fact that both clubs endorsed this is exactly why racing is in the dither that it is , diabolical that they didn't fight to keep it " Cup Week ". But then nothing about racing administration should surprise any of us now .

And the vertically challenged restauranteur on the canine Chanel is singing Mills praises? Was Mills in the know? maybe not, he doesn't know much at all, sadly.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, curious said:

Can u post the article. It sounds incredible!

i don't know how to post articles.

It was "spring bloom campaign replaces NZ cup and show week branding".

Its a rather long article about the marketing side of what  i suppose you and i always had thought was always called cup week,but when you read the article it turns out it hadn't always been branded that.

Apparently in the 1990's it was called Showtime Canterbury,then after 2005 was rebranded to Cup and show week".Then in 2019 came the change to the current name.

Another quote from the article was... Karena finnie,head of major and business events for christchurchnz,said they wanted a brand that represented all that happens during spring,rather than a select few .   Bloom was launched by the city council owned tourism and economic development agency christchurch.

Maybe the racing clubs had little say in the decision,but the reported comments expressed their support.

It had a couple of photo's in the article,one of lazarus winning the cup,and the other of apparently a  drunken punter lying across a footpath.

The article is what the woke media does best,highlighting the successful agendas of the likes of those who made that decision,and pointing out that those commenting for the racing club were happy to look weak and compliant.

Unbelievable.

Chris Rowe, commercial manager at Riccarton Racecourse, said market research revealed the Cup and Show Week branding had "not really resonated" and wasn't well recognised.

"Cup week has been an iconic week in New Zealand for many, many years. Maybe that's why it was so difficult to get the (Cup and Show) brand across."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, curious said:

Unbelievable.

Chris Rowe, commercial manager at Riccarton Racecourse, said market research revealed the Cup and Show Week branding had "not really resonated" and wasn't well recognised.

"Cup week has been an iconic week in New Zealand for many, many years. Maybe that's why it was so difficult to get the (Cup and Show) brand across."

Didn't he just contradict himself?

' iconic week'   ....' difficult to get the brand across ' ..?

• Like 6

Spring Bloom campaign replaces NZ Cup and Show branding

05:00, Sep 19 2019

Part of the Bloom promotional campaign for Christchurch's spring events.

Part of the Bloom promotional campaign for Christchurch's spring events.

In a move called bold and a shift away from a booze and gambling focus, the New Zealand Cup and Show Week concept will make way for a new spring marketing campaign called Bloom.

The rebrand will promote a range of events around the national trotting and galloping championships and the New Zealand Agricultural Show, previously promoted together as a celebratory anniversary week.

Bloom has been launched by the city council-owned tourism and economic development agency, ChristchurchNZ.

Crowds watch Lazarus win the New Zealand Trotting Cup at Addington Raceway in 2016.
JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
Crowds watch Lazarus win the New Zealand Trotting Cup at Addington Raceway in 2016.

Karena Finnie, head of major and business events for ChristchurchNZ, said they "wanted a brand that represented all that happens here during spring, rather than a select few".

She said Cantabrians could expect "the same quality events and activities as previous years, as well as a raft of new ones to explore".

Bloom campaign material created by ChristchurchNZ.
SUPPLIED
Bloom campaign material created by ChristchurchNZ.

Bloom is an umbrella campaign aimed at attracting visitors from across the country.

As well as the Addington and Riccarton races and the show, it will promote major sporting fixtures, concert and street art events, and the Antarctic season opening.

Finnie said they were working with the show and racing organisers to "build their hugely popular Christchurch events" and "help introduce them to a broader audience".

The anniversary week concept was launched by the city council as Showtime Canterbury in the 1990s. It was then rebranded as New Zealand Cup and Show Week in 2005.

It regularly attracts between 150,000 and 200,000 locals and visitors and triggers up to $30 million in spending.

Ratepayers spend about $350,000 annually on Cup and Show Week, covering advertising plus grants to both racing venues and the Canterbury A&P Show Association.

Canterbury University associate marketing professor Ekant Veer said he liked the Bloom concept.

"There may be some traditionalists that feel this is a departure from what they know and love about Christchurch. There will be some that will say 'It's always been Cup & Show Week! Why change?'."

Veer believed it was "good to celebrate other aspects of spring in our city and, perhaps, diverge from the associations of alcohol consumption and gambling that tend to follow Cup Day".

Town and country meet at the New Zealand Agricultural Show last year.
JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
Town and country meet at the New Zealand Agricultural Show last year.

"It focuses on something that is truly beautiful about our city, and helps us to enjoy the regular events without a heavy focus on the races associated with Cup and Show Week."

The Bloom campaign will use street flags and posters, and advertising on buses and social media.

The Bloom campaign will use street flags and posters, and advertising on buses and social media.

Rowe said the change did not alter the current funding arrangement, and would give Riccarton more marketing autonomy rather than having to buy into a package.

He did not feel their message would be diluted or lost inside the wider campaign.

Addington Raceway's business and marketing manager, Keryn McElroy, said they were "extremely excited" about Bloom and believed it would complement the existing brands.

Racegoers at Addington on a previous cup day.
IAIN MCGREGOR/STUFF
Racegoers at Addington on a previous cup day.

Geoff Bone, the Canterbury A&P Association's event director, said Bloom would further Christchurch as a city of experience.

He said they were "encouraged by the bold decisions ChristchurchNZ has made".

The Bloom campaign was created mainly in-house by ChristchurchNZ, with external companies paid $18,000 for a photo shoot and promotional video.

Bloom is an umbrella marketing campaign launched by ChristchurchNZ.

Bloom is an umbrella marketing campaign launched by ChristchurchNZ.

ChristchurchNZ will spend $52,000 promoting it on social media, buses, posters, and digital channels.  Another $40,000 was spent on long-term resources such as banners and street flags.

Finnie said the creation, launch and promotion was funded from their existing events marketing fund, which they were optimising to include more events.

Last year's Best Dressed winners at New Zealand Trotting Cup day.
JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
Last year's Best Dressed winners at New Zealand Trotting Cup day.

Does anyone know how much NZTR and CJC spent marketing the Winter Cup /National Jumps meeting?  Would be interesting to see the return on investment.

I guess the Bloom Festival is better than the Doom Festival.

I wonder what new marketing slant Melbourne will be on the Melbourne Cup Spring Carnival?

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Does anyone know how much NZTR and CJC spent marketing the Winter Cup /National Jumps meeting?  Would be interesting to see the return on investment.

I guess the Bloom Festival is better than the Doom Festival.

I wonder what new marketing slant Melbourne will be on the Melbourne Cup Spring Carnival?

I am curious to know how many people forked out for the $25 entry fee at Riccarton?

47 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

I am curious to know how many people forked out for the $25 entry fee at Riccarton?

The Marx bros, Keystone Cops, Blind Freddie, God's Dog, Ned Kelly and Robin Hood apparently. There were a few more but they wish to remain anonymous for obvious reasons, and a few got in under the fence.........ye haaaa

• Haha 1