Bit Of A Yarn

Derby and 2000Gns under threat

14 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Actually correct myself.  A little research indicates Mr Illusion ran 1000m in 55.91.  49.5kg and Maree Lyndon indeed 1983

Four year old stallion by Sovereign Edition from An Illusion.  Surprised he wasn't sent to stud bred like that

He was but appears to have only stood one season and produced 6 named foals.

24 minutes ago, curious said:

He was but appears to have only stood one season and produced 6 named foals.

Ok.  Didn't recall that.  What a magnificent stallion Sovereign Edition was. Stayers sprinters two and three years and top class older horses.  And just as good in Aussie

On 5/10/2022 at 10:19 AM, Reefton said:

Much as it is(or should be) the best track in the south if not the country it is a shocking place to watch a race due to the distance they are from you and that stinking nor easterly that seems to blow every time I go there.  The vast majority sit inside and watch the TV's and accordingly why would I travel three hours there and three hours back?

Therein lies both a problem and a very sadly lost opportunity. That stand has always been a white elephant and is now a tired old relic. You can't see anything much from the seated area and with my eyesight these days I can barely see the very poor quality vision on the big screen.

There was a great opportunity to refurbish the eastern end of the Grand National Stand with its far superior viewing, glassed in to protect from both the easterlies and northwester and the rest for something else, demolish the Members stand relic and make a decent sized parade ring there.

Instead, they have sat on their hands for years and their fate is in the hands of the Commissioner's decision in 3 weeks as to whether they can demolish the National stand or not.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Reefton said:

Actually correct myself.  A little research indicates Mr Illusion ran 1000m in 55.91.  49.5kg and Maree Lyndon indeed 1983

Four year old stallion by Sovereign Edition from An Illusion.  Surprised he wasn't sent to stud bred like that

As an aside ,if my memory serves me well,crack jockey Brent Thomson won his first race on his first ride on...An Illusion.

12 hours ago, holy ravioli said:

As an aside ,if my memory serves me well,crack jockey Brent Thomson won his first race on his first ride on...An Illusion.

How would've Brent Thompson fared among the John Wayne's of today?

Thompson rode in an era where the competition was fierce and was every bit as good (if not better) than his peers.

Four Cox Plate victories on four different animals speaks volumes for one B. Thompson.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Majority rules I spose, it is a democracy after all, however, most of us will be dead and never see any benefits from progressive thinking......at least it's a 'legacy' for the 20 somethings that will have to pick up the pieces of a rooted industry left behind by small minded, egotistical, dolt heads, I hope they realise that all this piss farting around was not instituted by the majority.........so onward and upward you brave Cantabs......good luck to you. 

Overall Decision
182. Having carefully considered the application in some detail, and having considered the submissions, the officer reports, the evidence and all other relevant matters, the application be granted pursuant to ss 104, 104B, 104D and 108 of the Resource Management Act 1991 subject to the conditions attached in Appendix A.

So it appears that the CJC have successfully demolished both the Grand National Stand and the Grand National carnival in the course of the year.

• Sad 2