Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton. Blundered at start.

Why didn't Mills explore the Morphetville model and have an inside track to take the pressure off their main track? They could have put in a Strathayr and laid world class plough, sand and cinders training tracks.......

Randwick did, so too Newcastle.......why was there no consultation with management at these iconic centres?

These guys would starve to death if they had to run their own business's, that requires thinking outside the square sometimes, way beyond Mills and the rocket scientists at Petone, a new broom required, maybe sell Riccarton and move, at least it would create a legacy for people like Pitman Jnr, and other young people hoping there will be a racing industry for them to ply their trade in.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, curious said:
1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

What are they actually doing there? Mowing it down hard and removing the grass in preparation for reseeding?

Yes.  There are a series of videos.  That was about 9 years ago.  I believe they have refined the process since then.  I'm not sure the same company does the work or if the same work is now done.  For example there must be a limit to how much verti-draining and sand injection you can do.  But I do know that what we would term major renovations are done every year.

https://www.lawnandturfmaintenance.com.au/videos/

Every Year after the Spring Carnival, Lawn and Turf carry out Renovations to the Main Track including:

Verti Draining, Scarifying, Sweeping, Top Dressing and Seeding.

Track renovation starts at Headquarters

Ben Sporle
Ben Sporle@bensporle

11 August, 2021

Racing at Flemington on Melbourne Cup Day
(Image: Racing Photos)

With five weeks between last Saturday's Flemington meeting and the Victoria Racing Club's Makybe Diva Stakes Day on September 11, Track Manager Liam O'Keeffe and his staff are currently undergoing their annual key track renovation to make sure the course is peaking for this year's Melbourne Cup Carnival.

Flemington-based trainers had access to a rare set of course-proper jumpouts at Flemington on Monday, with close to 100 horses across 15 trials taking up the opportunity.

"It's something we've done the last few years, we are careful about the access down the straight with the racing and we don't want to be creating a bias," O'Keeffe said.

"We will spend this week renovating the track from the 10-metre to the 30-metre mark and then it has four weeks to recover.

"We completed the inside 10 metres after our July meeting and it's nearing 100 per cent now.

"This renovation will have it in tip-top shape for the Carnival."

vrctrackreno_supplied.jpg?la=en

Inside 10-metre track renovation at end of July. Day 1 (left) - Day 18 (right) (Image: Supplied)

O'Keeffe's team got to work after Monday's jumpouts and expected the works to take the week to complete before it could begin to recover.

"We mow down the grass to 60mm, hollow tyne core at 100mm depth with 80 x 80mm spacings, then sweep up the cores, over sow perennial rye and kentucky blue grass and then verti-drain the track 230mm deep before we fertilise," O'Keeffe explained.

"We want dry conditions while we are doing it this week and then once the seed and fertiliser goes in some rainfall ideally."

O'Keeffe said while most track renovations take seven to eight weeks to be back performing at peak levels, he was confident the surface will race well for its September 11 resumption.

"It certainly won't be quite 100 per cent, it will be in great condition but maybe a touch tender and forgiving," he said.

"By Turnbull Day it will basically be back to its best and then we will give it a little verti-drain ahead of the carnival.

"We have been happy with it in winter, we race pretty much every fortnight from April through to August and it's a bit more difficult than in spring because you get higher damage and less recovery time."

Following Makybe Diva Stakes Day, Flemington will then host a mid-week spring preview card on September 22, with the October 2 Turnbull Stakes Day leading into the start of the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The pro-ride at Randwick is the go to, they even trial on it.........never see an AWT at HQ......God Forbid.......Not for racing.

Ironically, the PGF should probably have been used to fund an AWT at a provincial track if it was that essential and let Riccarton concentrate on its existing tracks. No Aussie major track has slotted in an AWT, they always go to the provincials.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

47 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Ironically, the PGF should probably have been used to fund an AWT at a provincial track if it was that essential and let Riccarton concentrate on its existing tracks. No Aussie major track has slotted in an AWT, they always go to the provincials.

Might have been the ideal use for Rangiora.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Doomed said:

PGF = Provincial Growth Fund

It still staggers me that that funding was allowed to be used at Riccarton in Christchurch City.

The B/S that accompanied the application was astounding; and, even more astounding was that it was swallowed hook, line and sinker.

I always felt that Rangiora would have been the ideal venue.  The harness folk would have needed convincing, but as long as all parties were on board it would have allowed an excellent facility to be kept in use.

And even Pitty agreed with me. 

Edited by Freda
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

13 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

All it takes is vision, and you're only limited by your budget and imagination.......one is/was missing sadly.

Both, I'm afraid.

Because if the taxpayer hadn't contributed [ again ]  there would have been no free money available for this.

As it is, the cost over and above the 10 mill has had to be found, from where, I'm not sure.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freda said:

Both, I'm afraid.

Because if the taxpayer hadn't contributed [ again ]  there would have been no free money available for this.

As it is, the cost over and above the 10 mill has had to be found, from where, I'm not sure.  

Maybe they could make some money off the hay they cut last week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3