Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton. Blundered at start.

1668218502924.jpg

1 hour 14 min ago

Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images

The New Zealand Cup meeting at Riccarton has been abandoned (file photo).

New Zealand Cup race meeting postponed to Monday due to unsafe track at Riccarton

Stuff sports reporters

One of the country’s biggest race days, the New Zealand Cup meeting at Riccarton, Christchurch, has been abandoned after three races due to an unsafe track.

Chief stipendiary steward John Oatham confirmed just before 2pm on Saturday that the meeting was off, after a horse slipped on the track during race three. The remaining nine races including the Thousand Guineas and New Zealand Cup will be now held on Monday at Riccarton, officials said.

A sellout crowd of around 15,000 was expected for the third day of the week-long cup carnival under sunny skies.

1668218502924.jpg

Alden Williams/Stuff

Leonard Stewart, trainer of Ekstremiss in the New Zealand Cup at Riccarton.

Harmonious, ridden by apprentice Lily Sutherland, slipped but didn’t fall around the home bend, which Oatham described as “a significant slip”.

After jockeys and stewards inspected the track, and machinery was used to try and alleviate the problem, it was agreed the meeting was over for the day.

“There are concerns that areas in the middle of the track seem to be a bit wetter than other areas. That’s the comment we’ve had from riders; it’s a little bit inconsistent whether that’s due to irrigation with all the wind we’ve had in Canterbury,” Oatham told Trackside TV.

“It’s a bit of a sweaty base under good lush spring growth which can be an issue, then underneath it’s still relatively firm so as they take the top off they’re just moving on it.”

1668218502924.jpg

Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images

A sellout crowd of 15,000 was expected for day three of the meeting (file photo).

Jockey Kylie Williams expressed her concerns before the meeting was called off.

Trainer Leonard Stewart had travelled 160km up from Timaru for the races. He had three horses scheduled to run, including Ekstremiss in the NZ Cup.

The cancellations were “disappointing”, he said.

1667888215380.jpgfile:///android_asset/icon_play_button.png

TRACKSIDE/SKY SPORT

The North Island horse won the $600,000 race for a second consecutive year.

At 90, Stewart reckoned he was “most likely” one of the most senior trainers there. He had travelled up for the Riccarton races nearly every single year since 1972 – minus a few in the 90s.

“I’ve got a crook leg anyway, so golfing wouldn’t be much good.”

Racing was a also family affair for Stewart.

“I’ve got a granddaughter who loves the horses – that’s a big part of it.

“I told her when she was about four I’d have to get her a pony. She stuck her lip out and said I don’t want a pony, I want a racehorse.”

-Additional reporting Amber Allott

Our track is undergoing massive reconstruction, 60 meetings a year, a few abandoned when we get 100ml otherwise a great track, Nevesh Ramdhani is our track manager,  headhunted from Randwick? shall I call him? small commission payable should I get him to commit to CJC?.........he's a family man, so Chch's pumping nightlife wont scare him.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Joe Bloggs said:

Our track is undergoing massive reconstruction, 60 meetings a year, a few abandoned when we get 100ml otherwise a great track, Nevesh Ramdhani is our track manager,  headhunted from Randwick? shall I call him? small commission payable should I get him to commit to CJC?.........he's a family man, so Chch's pumping nightlife wont scare him.....

Just make sure he doesn't have Josh Parr's phone number otherwise it's a quick , Eh Nah .

26 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

So if it was that dangerous, why did they run any races today? Any complaints first race, any complaints 2nd race??? If jockeys were concerned they would never have started the meeting. 

H&S, ha ha your a funny woman. Didn’t seem to have issues with so many horses falling, but if one slips your all over it. 
Once we get more feedback from jockeys that didn’t have issue with track, maybe you will change your mind

Why attack the jockeys,? Safety must be paramount at all times . Heads must roll at the CJC 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

H & S rules make it mandatory to call races off if there is a KNOWN problem.  

Don't blame the jockeys.  Do you think they want to miss out on prestige races and great money? 

They know, better than most, how much work goes in, ffs many work these same horses daily.  How many hopes and dreams just got scuttled?   What are you thinking?

The buck stops with who served this tripe up on a Grp One day.   Unbelievable.

Crickey nothing like a feed of tripe,

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I said this would happen months ago.  

yes, and you and I had a minor difference of difference of opinion about horses slipping at Riccartpn.    I did say that they got away with indifferent preparation because of the wide, sweeping turns, and horses didn't slip.

But the incompetence we have seen today defied even that.   They got slipping on a relatively straight line.  Well done team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New Zealand Cup Day at Riccarton abandoned

NZ Racing Desk
12 November 2022

One of the biggest days on the domestic racing calendar, New Zealand Cup Day at Riccarton, was abandoned after race three on Saturday due to safety concerns following a horse slipping whilst free of interference rounding the home turn.

Harmonious, ridden by Lily Sutherland, clearly slipped on a lush patch of turf as she commenced her run into the race at the 400m mark.

A track examination by stipendiary stewards and a delegation of jockeys saw remedial work undertaken on the affected turf to try alleviate the issue of the excess moisture trapped near the track surface.

Despite extensive efforts the situation did not improve and the decision was taken to abandon the meeting.

Leading rider Lisa Allpress was present during the track inspection and admitted she was bitterly disappointed to see racing abandoned but felt there was no other alternative available to officials.

“On the firm surface underneath, the fact that the grass is quite long and with a little bit of rain overnight, it just hasn’t dried underneath which means that there is an area of the track that is unsafe,” she said.

“There is more than just the one slip mark and there are quite a few out there.

“We really tried (to save the meeting) and with daylight saving hours available, we might have been able to put the meeting back, but with the length of the grass and the amount of moisture in it, it just isn’t going to dry out.

“Jockey and horse safety is paramount, but this isn’t a decision made lightly and it is just devastating for everybody.”

An announcement on the fate of remaining events at the meeting, including the Gr.1 Barneswood Farm New Zealand 1000 Guineas (1600m), Gr.3 Martin Collins New Zealand Cup (3200m) and Gr.3 Lindauer Stewards Stakes (1200m) will be made by New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing in due course.

Todays stipe report

Following issues with horses losing their footing jumping out of the barriers at Wednesday’s meeting further work had been carried out on the start areas in an attempt to rectify the problem.

Race 1
STOP YELLING (L Callaway) - Blundered at the start. Lay out rounding the bend.
DRAKE BAY (L Sutherland) - Slow to begin.
MDNIGHT JANE (M Taylor) - Lost its footing leaving the barriers. Raced three wide without cover throughout. SEVEN TWENTY (J Parr) - Lost its footing and began awkwardly losing ground.
O’JUDE (K Asano) - Restrained behind runners to obtain cover shortly after the start.
DORINGO (T Moseley) - Dipped shortly after the start briefly unbalancing its rider.

This is pure negligence and non-compliance by the CJC. They have failed by a large margin to comply with the venue preparation guidelines. Grass is supposed to be cut for 2 months prior any racemeeting through raceday to 90-100mls. It was quite clear from the trackside vision that the grass in that area was 150-200mm.

This has come at huge cost to a whole range of participants (including the CJC themselves) and the CJC should be severely penalised.

A year ago following the 4/12/21 Trentham abandonment a comprehensive review was ordered by NZTR. The board following a review of that report required a series of actions. One of those was:

NZTR to implement a more robust compliance program for Clubs that do not adhere to track preparation procedures and annual maintenance plans, including consequences for non-compliance with policies and procedures, by February 2022

Has anyone seen that compliance programme or know what the consequences in it are?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, curious said:

This is pure negligence and non-compliance by the CJC. They have failed by a large margin to comply with the venue preparation guidelines. Grass is supposed to be cut for 2 months prior any racemeeting through raceday to 90-100mls. It was quite clear from the trackside vision that the grass in that area was 150-200mm.

This has come at huge cost to a whole range of participants (including the CJC themselves) and the CJC should be severely penalised.

A year ago following the 4/12/21 Trentham abandonment a comprehensive review was ordered by NZTR. The board following a review of that report required a series of actions. One of those was:

NZTR to implement a more robust compliance program for Clubs that do not adhere to track preparation procedures and annual maintenance plans, including consequences for non-compliance with policies and procedures, by February 2022

Has anyone seen that compliance programme or know what the consequences in it are?

Mills should have been cut 20 years ago.

Goodbye Guineas!

17 minutes ago, Jenny said:

Todays stipe report

Following issues with horses losing their footing jumping out of the barriers at Wednesday’s meeting further work had been carried out on the start areas in an attempt to rectify the problem.

Race 1
STOP YELLING (L Callaway) - Blundered at the start. Lay out rounding the bend.
DRAKE BAY (L Sutherland) - Slow to begin.
MDNIGHT JANE (M Taylor) - Lost its footing leaving the barriers. Raced three wide without cover throughout. SEVEN TWENTY (J Parr) - Lost its footing and began awkwardly losing ground.
O’JUDE (K Asano) - Restrained behind runners to obtain cover shortly after the start.
DORINGO (T Moseley) - Dipped shortly after the start briefly unbalancing its rider.

I'm guessing that is the same issue as on the track at the 600. Not mowed. Grass way too long.

To all of the above, damn right.

However, another issue, which most don't consider;  what about the staff?     Some are away from home, and may have commitments elsewhere after 'today's races'.   What about those lads/lasses who had factored in a party or social event, or had been promised  a few days off to mark the end of what should have been a fantastic week?

Sorry, guys, you'll have to come in at 5 tomorrow, to work these horses for Monday.  [ which if it rains, as it is forecast to do, might be at risk again ].

Yes, I feel for owners, sure as hell I do, and also riders, and trainers.. many of these folk have families and commitments too which may not be able to be shifted around at a whim.  And if Monday doesn't go ahead, what then?

Do the test crash dummies get sent out again, for practice?

As for staff incentives..some trainers may be able to afford remuneration for staff when horses win, I know some owners give appreciation to stable workers, and good on them all.  But as a matter of course, there isn't a specific mandated percentage for staff.

Without them, the whole shitfest falls apart.

But, wait, there is plenty of spare money to boost these Grp races it seems.

• Champ Post 3

Rarely does racing get coverage on tv1 news, and when it it does it's for all the wrong reasons, real shame the events of today,but I guess everyone went home in one piece, most of the younger crowd there for a big social outing or there for the fashion stakes, both of no interest to me.

• Like 2

I notice all the scratchings have been reinstated for Monday. Could lead to some interesting situations. Pam's horse was first ballot on Saturday but got a start because there was one scratching out of the field. That horse is now back in the field, for now, and Pam is balloted again. Could be interesting if the originally scratched horse has come right and wants to start. You imagine some people could potentially be a bit pissed off.

• Like 3