Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton. Blundered at start.

Meeting News

Track Update From Canterbury JC

At 11am this morning Stipendiary Stewards and Canterbury Jockey Club Management inspected the work that has been undertaken at Riccarton Park since the abandonment of racing during NZ Cup Day yesterady.

That work included mowing with front mounted mowers and the application of the Verti-Drain machine to assist in alleviating any compaction.

9mm of rain fell on Saturday night and Sunday is a warm day with a moderate wind.

The Stipendiary Stewards see no reason for racing not to resume with the remainder of the programme at Riccarton Park on Monday.

Hmmm.

Clearly the stipendiary stewards saw no reason for racing not to take place after their Thursday morning inspection.  That shouldn't give anyone much confidence in their judgment would it?

I think ( jmo ) that after Sundays efforts, the track should be safe enough although,  as Billy has referenced, hard.

I also feel the need to add, that for all the vitriol and disgust hurled at the management of the CJC,  it should be pointed out that no-one, be it staff, management, stewards - would WANT to see the meeting called off, or participants hurt, or livelihoods threatened.

The loss that will be incurred as a result of this debacle will be punishment enough for the club and its employees.

What we want to see is a radical change of process that actually works, not more BS from Sharrock.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, curious said:

My concern is that the inspection yesterday was conducted by stipes. No mention of any riders or anyone with racecourse turf management involved. Hopefully they gallop a few horses across that area this morning and get some feedback from riders before proceeding.

Horses were galloped Saturday morning.   That doesn't seem to have been  a great success.

51 minutes ago, Freda said:

I also feel the need to add, that for all the vitriol and disgust hurled at the management of the CJC,  it should be pointed out that no-one, be it staff, management, stewards - would WANT to see the meeting called off, or participants hurt, or livelihoods threatened.

If any of the stakeholders didn't want the meeting called off then why the hell didn't anyone say anything BEFORE it happened?  It was blatantly obvious what was likely to transpire.  Or did everyone kinda know and just hope they might get lucky?

53 minutes ago, Freda said:

What we want to see is a radical change of process that actually works, not more BS from Sharrock.

Process means SFA if the same personnel are running the show.  Same outcome just a different process.  The reality is the track is stuffed and no amount of process is going to address that fundamental issue.

• Like 1

According to the Ellerslie CEO , NZTR can't be held responsible for the track fiascos.

Is he that delusional that he can't see it is the many iniatives,policies and planning(lack of) from the likes of NZTR that have led the industry to where it is today?

3 minutes ago, Huey said:

According to the Ellerslie CEO , NZTR can't be held responsible for the track fiascos.

Is he that delusional that he can't see it is the many iniatives,policies and planning(lack of) from the likes of NZTR that have led the industry to where it is today?

I agree with him. NZTR have put policies and guidelines in place. If clubs like the CJC choose to entirely ignore them, whose fault is that?

4 minutes ago, curious said:

I agree with him. NZTR have put policies and guidelines in place. If clubs like the CJC choose to entirely ignore them, whose fault is that?

This isn't an isolated case , its happened on numerous occassions now, so to suggest NZTR haven't had a role to play in this issue(abandonements)  in the industry , borders on the absurd.

Not only that , but their inaction and blinded viewpoint of how the industry should operate has more than contributed to this utter mess.

• Like 1

Mills is just on TV and has just said that the grass may , or may not have been too long but they are looking into it , so why the fuck did they cut . This is the problem nowadays , no one just stands up and goes , " OK  , i'm sorry we fucked up and it was on us and will make sure it doesn't happen again " .

• Like 1

Just now, nomates said:

Mills is just on TV and has just said that the grass may , or may not have been too long but they are looking into it , so why the fuck did they cut . This is the problem nowadays , no one just stands up and goes , " OK  , i'm sorry we fucked up and it was on us and will make sure it doesn't happen again " .

It's bullshit. It was clearly way too long. They cut it Saturday afternoon (reprortedly twice) and at 11 am the next morning after 7-8mms overnight rain the stipes reported the area dry and safe for racing. Put your hand up Tim.

Yeah.....have to agree with both parties here.

Sure, It isn't the fault of NZTR if clubs choose to ignore their guidelines.   

However there never seem to be any consequences.  If a small/provincial/country club 'ignored guidelines'  they would most likely be asked to show why they should be allowed a licence to run races.

And there has to be considered the suitability of such 'advice'.

There was, until recently, a 'venue inspector' who was ostensibly responsible for all the tracks country-wide.  It doesn't take much thought to realise that one size doesn't fit all.   Advice pertaining to Ruakaka will not suit Invercargill, or Riverton.

Even in a geographical area considered ' one district' i.e. the Coast,  what works for Kumara will most certainly not work for Reefton.   So you may have, in those situations, local club track men, whether volunteers or otherwise, taking not a blind bit of notice and with plenty of justification.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 2

So the latest on Stuff , CJC are offering full refunds to those that bought tickets to last Saturday's fiasco , but Mills is asking for those people to not take up the refund so that the financial hit to the CJC is lessened .

Fucking really , such a bad look for our industry , can't put up a decent safe track to race on and fucks everybody's day , then pleads poverty to save the financial hit .

Just telling people that not only the industry can't prepare tracks , we're broke .

Here's something novel , don't put millions into an A/W track and your club wouldn't have been so financially stretched . 

The industry needs to rid itself of these losers , dragging the rest of us down while padding their pockets .

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nomates said:

So the latest on Stuff , CJC are offering full refunds to those that bought tickets to last Saturday's fiasco , but Mills is asking for those people to not take up the refund so that the financial hit to the CJC is lessened .

Fucking really , such a bad look for our industry , can't put up a decent safe track to race on and fucks everybody's day , then pleads poverty to save the financial hit .

Just telling people that not only the industry can't prepare tracks , we're broke .

Here's something novel , don't put millions into an A/W track and your club wouldn't have been so financially stretched . 

The industry needs to rid itself of these losers , dragging the rest of us down while padding their pockets .

That would be almost funny if it wasn't so farsical. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nomates said:

So the latest on Stuff, CJC are offering full refunds to those that bought tickets to last Saturday's fiasco, but Mills is asking for those people to not take up the refund so that the financial hit to the CJC is lessened.

Take the refund and don't go back there whilst Mills is at the wheelhouse, he's used the place to feather his own nest for 25 years or more.

Will be interesting to see if the CJC's insurers come to the party when Mills goes cap in hand. If you don't lock your house and someone gets in and helps themselves, your insurers have every right to dissent. Likewise, If you don't produce a safe and satisfactory track to race on, your insurers also have every right to dissent.

I've never rated Tim Mills but past and present CJC/Riccarton Park Board's obviously do, although to be fair to Mills his predecessors weren't much chop either.

• Like 1

TO EACH TOTALISATOR CLUB

Following recent abandonments of both race meeting and trials, I need to make it very clear that I, and the Board consider that each club CEO/GM is accountable and responsible for ensuring that their systems and processes meet the standard required and requested by NZTR in relation to presenting a safe and suitable racing surface.

This could mean for some clubs that a thorough review of their people and processes is undertaken immediately and that everybody responsible for presenting a track is clear on the role they play.

Should a club not follow the track preparation policies and procedures, and these actions are found to contribute to an abandonment I need to make it clear that this will jeopardise the club funding for the meeting.

If any club CEO/GM is unsure of the requirements I encourage you to contact Darin Balcombe to answer any questions.

I also want to make clear that we are all in this together, support is available for all clubs, and utilising the resource of the Regional Track Advisors and early engagement of NZTR should there be any concerns leading into a raceday is the only way we are going to be able to mitigate the impact of these issues going forward.

As always, I am happy to discuss with any club directly.

Bruce Sharrock

Chief Executive

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

TO EACH TOTALISATOR CLUB

Following recent abandonments of both race meeting and trials, I need to make it very clear that I, and the Board consider that each club CEO/GM is accountable and responsible for ensuring that their systems and processes meet the standard required and requested by NZTR in relation to presenting a safe and suitable racing surface.

This could mean for some clubs that a thorough review of their people and processes is undertaken immediately and that everybody responsible for presenting a track is clear on the role they play.

Should a club not follow the track preparation policies and procedures, and these actions are found to contribute to an abandonment I need to make it clear that this will jeopardise the club funding for the meeting.

If any club CEO/GM is unsure of the requirements I encourage you to contact Darin Balcombe to answer any questions.

I also want to make clear that we are all in this together, support is available for all clubs, and utilising the resource of the Regional Track Advisors and early engagement of NZTR should there be any concerns leading into a raceday is the only way we are going to be able to mitigate the impact of these issues going forward.

As always, I am happy to discuss with any club directly.

Bruce Sharrock

Chief Executive

Did you make that up?  Or is it real?