Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton. Blundered at start.

4 hours ago, Doomed said:

I notice all the scratchings have been reinstated for Monday. Could lead to some interesting situations. Pam's horse was first ballot on Saturday but got a start because there was one scratching out of the field. That horse is now back in the field, for now, and Pam is balloted again. Could be interesting if the originally scratched horse has come right and wants to start. You imagine some people could potentially be a bit pissed off.

A bit ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm torn between laughing my socks off or ripping my undies in anger.  All the posts, comments and statements about getting more people to the races, generating more punting revenue, blocking gambling leakage overseas and so on and so on.   All that means SFA if there aren't tracks for horses to safely race on!!  Of course there also has to be horses too!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, Doomed said:

I notice all the scratchings have been reinstated for Monday. Could lead to some interesting situations. Pam's horse was first ballot on Saturday but got a start because there was one scratching out of the field. That horse is now back in the field, for now, and Pam is balloted again. Could be interesting if the originally scratched horse has come right and wants to start. You imagine some people could potentially be a bit pissed off.

And after Monday, there is not a single suitable feature+ level race programmed in Canterbury for that horse until the end of January.

• Like 1

My tuppence worth, to much water being applied to make sure track is a good4. Combination of long grass, artificial watering unevenly and a dry bed. Looks to me like its all man made. Once upon a time, tracks were what they were in summer. Horses that jarred up avoided them. Grey Way would never get a look in in todays over watered tracks.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

In the clear light of day and with a nights sleep I hope there is a resolution to yesterdays debacle and a new era arises from the ashes, I hope, I'm not confident.

The various social media outlets inc this one went into overdrive did they not? Surely Petone can't escape this one, within those outlets were many great contributions alongside the scathing criticisms and if Sharrock has any credibility he will listen.

I feel very sorry for those that went out to Riccarton yesterday, the paying customer and the racing participant, a day in their lives they shall not recover, except for the lucky few who captured prize money from the completed races the rest will think about that day for ages.

Come Monday the track will not resemble the colourful sight we witnessed yesterday, the Marquee's and the crowd looked amazing on tele, even from km3000 away, a grand sight, something that encourages a new band of race enthusiast one would hope, CJC will lose financially and the reverberations from that will be felt down the road.

Out of casualties spring surprises, in this instance I just hope it is for the better, a kick up the arse from the local policeman used to foster better behaviour from us kids, lets hope this is racings ''kick up the arse'' and we see a new day......

Just saying......and hoping.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Interesting thread this one. It seems whoever started it had questions about the slippery track earlier on. Yet nothing was looked at, wow

Yes, and will they reimburse the connections of runners who lost their chance blundering the start on the first two days? With approx 50 horses losing their footing at the start Mills and Co were fortunate that the first two days weren't canned as well.

Did old Millsey have a plan B yesterday to entertain the once a year racegoers and if he's still at the wheelhouse next year, will he do the right thing and provide free admission ?

Edited by billy connolly
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, aquaman said:

My tuppence worth, to much water being applied to make sure track is a good4. Combination of long grass, artificial watering unevenly and a dry bed. Looks to me like its all man made. Once upon a time, tracks were what they were in summer. Horses that jarred up avoided them. Grey Way would never get a look in in todays over watered tracks.

You'd still have the same problem if it rained.  Which it did.

Irrigation is not the problem.  The problem is a stuffed soil.

As for Grey Way he actually raced on some very dodgy tracks.  I recall a major win at Trentham was on a track that looked like a turnip paddock!

52 minutes ago, billy connolly said:

Yes, and will they reimburse the connections of runners who lost their chance blundering the start on the first two days? With approx 50 horses losing their footing at the start Mills and Co were fortunate that the first two days weren't canned as well.

A senior jockey said earlier this morning that they were lucky to get away with the first two days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

And after Monday, there is not a single suitable feature+ level race programmed in Canterbury for that horse until the end of January.

Because CJC need 10 weeks summer holidays each year! It’s a disgrace no feature meeting at Riccarton over this period, but hay CJC get to have a extended merry Xmas.

• Like 2

Don't be too hard on Timmy Mills. After all, he can't control the rapid grass growth that Riccarton experiences every 24 hours.

I just got sent this photo of Timmy in the home straight a few minutes ago. Poor bugger, he looks exhausted and famished from sitting on the ride on all night.

It's ok Timmy mate......it will be all over in the next 24 hours......with any luck, and you will get to enjoy your exit remuneration..... and one question on the way out...what the fuck happened??

Tracks.jpg

Tim Mills.jpg

Edited by KickintheKods
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I'm torn between laughing my socks off or ripping my undies in anger.  All the posts, comments and statements about getting more people to the races, generating more punting revenue, blocking gambling leakage overseas and so on and so on.   All that means SFA if there aren't tracks for horses to safely race on!!  Of course there also has to be horses too!

It seems to me NZTR have been interfering for too long, trying to force track managers to attain a mythical Dead 4 track when a safe one is what is actually required.

Spot the difference:

Newcastle track yesterday with a very similar weather pattern for the week - their biggest racing day of the year

and Riccarton, which looks like its getting ready to be cut for lucerne, on it's biggest day of the year. Have a look at the jockey's boots.

What could possibly go wrong????

Newcastle Track.jpg

Riccarton Track.jpg

Edited by KickintheKods
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, curious said:

I have mentioned this a few times. No $30,000 races in Canterbury now until the end of January. Unbelievable. Heaps of racing at Wingatui, if Canty trainers want to take the chance of travelling 5 hours south and hoping the meeting isn't abandoned. SI racing is so badly run. I think the next 2yo race is at the end of January as well. 

It really is hard to believe this is a multi million dollar industry. It is basically run on similar lines to someone running the weekly quiz night at the old peoples home. The only difference being the person running the quiz night would get run out of town if they stuffed up.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Six horses going around in the $40,000 race at HB today that they desperately had to reschedule because it was so crucial to all the superstars summer campaigns. It will be interesting to follow the progress of those six as they contest all the group races in coming weeks. Five yesterday in a $30,000 rating 65 at Tauranga. Not much accountability or consideration of profit and loss when it comes to pouring money into the favoured clubs.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, billy connolly said:

Walked Riccarton track today, mowed twice and it's as hard as a city street. Begs belief why it wasn't mowed earlier.

Should be a good day tomorrow without the commotion. Will old Millsey let me in in my shorts and jandals?

He'll welcome you.

Hard, you say?  Rain forecast for tomorrow morning. 

1 hour ago, billy connolly said:

Walked Riccarton track today, mowed twice and it's as hard as a city street. Begs belief why it wasn't mowed earlier.

Should be a good day tomorrow without the commotion. Will old Millsey let me in in my shorts and jandals?

Did they vertidrain the  whole track?