Bit Of A Yarn

Awapuni , the future of CD racing .

Yet another meeting at Awapuni canned because of dangerous track conditions , when are they going to learn .

It's a joke , oh wait we weren't going to have this happen because of all the investigations NZTR have had previously , and of course the A/W's were going to stop us losing all these meetings .

Fuck off NZTR , get your shit together , time you guys in head office stood up and started earning your bucks .

Edited by nomates
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 3

And this isn't down to a bit of rain on a hard track , they have irrigated since Monday night .

8mils - Monday night 

8mils - Tuesday night 

12mils Wednesday night

8mils - Thursday night 

This has to be no more than a shit track , you can only polish a turd so much before you realise that it will still be a turd .

Looking back at some recent replays what strikes me is the amazingly quick construction of the all weather. 

Over recent years the farcical playing around with the bend approaching the straight.

The housing development where one could have allowed for extension of the course. This probably started 20 years ago.

There has to be some logical explanation.

Lisa Allpress , who i don't blame , rode the very warm favorite and said that she never really let her horse go because of the track , should that horse , if not all runners be declared a non runner and give the punters their money back . 

Theft by any other description .

• Like 1

We have our own troubles here with Gundagai now in jeopardy.......to be a steward you need half a brain, apparently, the track was under water and although they have run the first, they knew full well there was a massive problem with horses pulling up.

What is it with these guys, they pull on a suit and any common sense flies out the window....

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Lisa Allpress , who i don't blame , rode the very warm favorite and said that she never really let her horse go because of the track , should that horse , if not all runners be declared a non runner and give the punters their money back . 

Theft by any other description .

A lot of our riders have lost confidence which just accentuates the track problems.

23 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

We have our own troubles here with Gundagai now in jeopardy.......to be a steward you need half a brain, apparently, the track was under water and although they have run the first, they knew full well there was a massive problem with horses pulling up.

What is it with these guys, they pull on a suit and any common sense flies out the window....

Nah Joe , they were always clueless and lacking common sense , they just happened to get a job that required them to pull a suit on , they would have been just as clueless if they were cutting lawns .

• Haha 1

So , they have transferred the 2 open handicaps to Hastings on Saturday , reason , these horses need the race as the are looking to progress to future important races .

Is this the tiered racing that some people think we run , look after some participants and fuck the rest , what about the poor bloody owners that pay for the horses that haven't got a run now .

This is where they fail the industry , they just walk away and think people will just accept this , well noddies not all will . We have a shortage of racehorses in NZ , the CD in particular , and this is exacerbating the process .

We have so many issues in our racing , and the biggest is becoming clear , the management and leadership , and it is becoming worse .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nomates said:

So , they have transferred the 2 open handicaps to Hastings on Saturday , reason , these horses need the race as the are looking to progress to future important races .

Is this the tiered racing that some people think we run , look after some participants and fuck the rest , what about the poor bloody owners that pay for the horses that haven't got a run now .

This is where they fail the industry , they just walk away and think people will just accept this , well noddies not all will . We have a shortage of racehorses in NZ , the CD in particular , and this is exacerbating the process .

We have so many issues in our racing , and the biggest is becoming clear , the management and leadership , and it is becoming worse .

In support of that commentary, we supported CD for a decade about 6 horses, last one is booked out shortly, going, going gone......who in their right mind would keep going there? lunatics running the Asylum, next thing Sharrock will be replaced by Jack Nicholson , oh hang on, he's been and gone, Sharrock is trying to live up to an icon......good job I reckon.

36 minutes ago, nomates said:

Nah Joe , they were always clueless and lacking common sense , they just happened to get a job that required them to pull a suit on , they would have been just as clueless if they were cutting lawns .

Some smart bush remedial work has saved Gundagai, Snake Gully Cup safe for now, a lot of pressure on those jocks as it's a two day carnival with huge crowds.......gotta luv the bush.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

In support of that commentary, we supported CD for a decade about 6 horses, last one is booked out shortly, going, going gone......who in their right mind would keep going there? lunatics running the Asylum, next thing Sharrock will be replaced by Jack Nicholson , oh hang on, he's been and gone, Sharrock is trying to live up to an icon......good job I reckon.

Don't think the Jack Nicholson character is the one we need , NURSE RATCHED , is the nasty type we need to sort out racings problems . She's sort out sycophants .

• Like 1

Punters will always find something to punt on , they lost nothing after today's abandonment , but the owners that didn't get a run lost $$$$ , again . 

Where the punters lost today was backing horses in the 2 races where jockeys have said they didn't let their horses run on their merit .

I agree re the integrity , but that left our shores years ago .

14 minutes ago, nomates said:

Punters will always find something to punt on , they lost nothing after today's abandonment , but the owners that didn't get a run lost $$$$ , again . 

Where the punters lost today was backing horses in the 2 races where jockeys have said they didn't let their horses run on their merit .

I agree re the integrity , but that left our shores years ago .

I think punters lost a lot. Hours of analysis, pricing, getting bets on. All out the window.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, nomates said:

That's  always been the case, only thing is they keep lifting the bar of incompetence to new rarified levels.

• Like 2

Yes, oh dear, and FFS...to all of the above.   But to pick on one sector - and I have to be fair and acknowledge that no one, not even the heirarchy, wants to see horses and riders hurt through unsafe tracks - as far as I am aware, track managers undergo a course in, well, track management.  So, we therefore assume that all managers have learnt much the same stuff.  I don't think it's very long either, a diploma course of six weeks I believe although someone may correct me.

Clearly, then, the material that is taught to these fellas is flawed  [or else they are as thick as planks and can't learn],  or else the course is just not long enough to hammer stuff home.

Chief will come in and point out that soil structures are stuffed, through years of under-investment, and he's not wrong IMO.    

So, how long are these blokes going to carry on, doing the same, before someone either from their ranks, or from the Taj Mahal, says, shit, guys, we're getting this wrong..?

How long can ineptitude and utter stupidity not be challenged, and fixed?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yes, oh dear, and FFS...to all of the above.   But to pick on one sector - and I have to be fair and acknowledge that no one, not even the heirarchy, wants to see horses and riders hurt through unsafe tracks - as far as I am aware, track managers undergo a course in, well, track management.  So, we therefore assume that all managers have learnt much the same stuff.  I don't think it's very long either, a diploma course of six weeks I believe although someone may correct me.

Clearly, then, the material that is taught to these fellas is flawed  [or else they are as thick as planks and can't learn],  or else the course is just not long enough to hammer stuff home.

Chief will come in and point out that soil structures are stuffed, through years of under-investment, and he's not wrong IMO.    

So, how long are these blokes going to carry on, doing the same, before someone either from their ranks, or from the Taj Mahal, says, shit, guys, we're getting this wrong..?

How long can ineptitude and utter stupidity not be challenged, and fixed?

But isn't that partly down to the poor mangement and utilisation of the tracks?

Many of the venues have been over used due to extremely poor decision making at an industry management level, the venue plan springs to mind. Implemented by a fool who has since departed our fair shores , this was a plan that like most of the strategic initiatives at NZTR look great on paper but unfortunately don't play out that way in reality.

What other industry would hold itself to ransom (i.e. refuse to use very good and capable venues and let them rot in the hope they can eventually be sold off) to the detriment of its own future?  

• Like 1