Bit Of A Yarn

Ashburton Tuesday

LongOwner

50 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Galah, were you one of the regulars that went around picking up the discarded tickets and taking them home to check to see if they were winners?

I was actually when i was younger.I guess you were too?They used to have those thicker tickets that could stand a bit of the weather back then. Seemed every meeting  i could come across one or two.Dad also used to drop us off at the local racetrack the day after the races and we would wander around picking them up. The key was you had to know the results of the races,and back then my memory was very good.We would either be picking up tickets or playing soccer or rugby or cricket in the car park with the cousins on race day.

I remember my biggest find was after a galloping meeting. I found $10 win and $10 place on a horse called jane again. Dad later collected it for me,and i got $65 . Five years  later i could fill up my mini for $5,so $65 was a good score.

I also remember throwing away some tickets at addington one night. I had 5 $1 units of the on course treble worth a  couple of months wages. I spent a couple of races finding them,and luckily i came across them.

Good, times.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, the galah said:

I remember my biggest find was after a galloping meeting. I found $10 win and $10 place on a horse called jane again. Dad later collected it for me,and i got $65 . Five years  later i could fill up my mini for $5,so $65 was a good score.

.... back in the day (1970's) we'd sweep thru the bars and pick up tickets, take them home and check them, best find was $5 ew on a galloper Tina Kaha, I think it was Riverton, won and paid about $49 the win, good pay day for us kids then.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

Galah, were you one of the regulars that went around picking up the discarded tickets and taking them home to check to see if they were winners?

Operating within the border of the Barrington, Sydenham and Beckenham TAB's.

On bicycle when the white Hilman Hunter was broken down on Battersea St.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, the galah said:

They used to have those thicker tickets that could stand a bit of the weather back then.

Did you ever have exchange tickets.? At Alexandra Park the on-course treble used to print out with 2 numbers on it .

You had to go to tote to 'exchange' them for your last leg number , should the first 2 win. ( I guess the tote machines only had ability to print 2 numbers per ticket instead of 3 at that stage ) 

Meant there was a LOT of tickets blowing around I can tell you. At times , if say Roy and Barry Purdon won the first 2 legs, the exchange queue's were 100m long with people and they had to delay the races ! so everyone got on lol. 😂😁

did you have anything like that down South?

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 11:51 PM, the galah said:

Its the same rating and type of horse that goes to a  sunday addington meeting that goes to a sunday grass track meeting. So it must be the grass tracks you prefer over the all weather,but of course they can't race on grass during winter.

Yours must be the same type of thinking. On one hand you always say you want more race meetings at the provincial tracks,then on the other you are always saying you don't like the meetings at addington that cater to the low grade horses. But they are the very same type of horses. Maybe the venue is what you mean,but thats not what you say.What you say always seems a contradiction to me.

Hey Galah, no one's suggesting more provincial meetings. 

Just look after the ones you have, more and more racing in Canterbury is likely with cost rising means less will travel, We saw that with Westport, Nelson and Marlborough seem to be fine for now, some of it can be programming, why Westport Cup is R55 then 4 days later cup at Motukarara  is the same seems a bit illogical, just my thoughts.

As for your comment about Addington and no longer going aint you answering your own question about exciting,(not) going there is.

I'm sure those days on the Coast and the top of the South are keenly attended, don't diminish the product to drive people away, 8 races and finishing just after 4 seems to me to be shortchanging the public as it was on Boxjng Day.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, the galah said:

I was actually when i was younger.I guess you were too?They used to have those thicker tickets that could stand a bit of the weather back then. Seemed every meeting  i could come across one or two.Dad also used to drop us off at the local racetrack the day after the races and we would wander around picking them up. The key was you had to know the results of the races,and back then my memory was very good.We would either be picking up tickets or playing soccer or rugby or cricket in the car park with the cousins on race day.

I also remember throwing away some tickets at addington one night. I had 5 $1 units of the on course treble worth a  couple of months wages. I spent a couple of races finding them,and luckily i came across them.

Good, times.

Very handy mare Jane again by Beaufort sea, and trained by John Parsons, was out of a tidy mare Mary Ellen, certainly a tidy family and left quite a few winners, oh the memories, out of curiosity what track was it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Did you ever have exchange tickets.? At Alexandra Park the on-course treble used to print out with 2 numbers on it .

You had to go to tote to 'exchange' them for your last leg number , should the first 2 win. ( I guess the tote machines only had ability to print 2 numbers per ticket instead of 3 at that stage ) 

Meant there was a LOT of tickets blowing around I can tell you. At times , if say Roy and Barry Purdon won the first 2 legs, the exchange queue's were 100m long with people and they had to delay the races ! so everyone got on lol. 😂😁

They did,but that ended not long after i was legally able to bet.

I remember when there was a couple of roughies win the first 2 legs,those with the remaining handful of tickets sometimes used to get together and if they could agree,they took the same horse in the last leg,that way they all got a nice collect whether it won or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Did you ever have exchange tickets.?

Loved the on course exchange trebles especially if I had the first leg winner sorted.

20 units on leg one then off to discreetly peer over the Brodsters shoulder re legs 2 and 3.

Thank goodness restrictions weren't a thing back then.

• Haha 1

On 14/01/2023 at 10:44 AM, the galah said:

But the numbers from nelson and ashburton don't support your comments.

nelson had 11 races with good size fields and ashburton has the same.

And as i have said before,turnovers are high at this time of year,especially on the average meetings you refer to.Its also the meetings which mostly have the lower class horses at this time of year that get the big crowds. 

Your view is just keep thrashing the trainer and driver - and there is a shortage of both at the top end of the performance range - human welfare behind picking up stones. 

On 14/01/2023 at 11:33 AM, Richie said:

A lot of horses in Canterbury and u less you want to spend a lot of money on circuit racing there has been basically a 2 week gap between meetings.The size of fields at Ashburton proves trainers have been waiting for a meeting In Canterbury.

Maybe - but why Tuesday ? A lot of trainers etc staying in Nelson until Tuesday p.m. - could of been Wednesday.

Maybe Oamaru Thursday to cater for Southland and Canterbury - so one meeting.

I think the industry thinks trainers & drivers are robots - health and safety issue. 

4 hours ago, LongOwner said:

Your view is just keep thrashing the trainer and driver - and there is a shortage of both at the top end of the performance range - human welfare behind picking up stones. 

What must you think about all the christmas racing?If you are to apply your logic, you will be calling for a reduction in racing over the christmas period,where trainers and drivers participate all over the south island in consecutive days.

Seems quite a few trainers and drivers never got the memo about it being expected they had to travel from nelson to ashburton a couple of days latter. Contrary to what you seem to believe,it seems some decided they had a choice and stayed in marlborough and are having a working holiday up there.