Bit Of A Yarn

where c Johnson?

Honestjohn

If your a member of his fan page on Facebook you would have seen that he's been injured for quite some time. Think from memory he fractured his heel down south. Was wearing a moonboot for awhile,then onto crutches,but it looks like he's off them now.Still probably some time before he's back,rehab etc.

• Champ Post 1

On 4/15/2023 at 10:24 PM, Mardy said:

If your a member of his fan page on Facebook you would have seen that he's been injured for quite some time. Think from memory he fractured his heel down south. Was wearing a moonboot for awhile,then onto crutches,but it looks like he's off them now.Still probably some time before he's back,rehab etc.

Thanks,  I watch the races a lot and never heard of anything on trackside?  Which is unusual?? 

Hj

Certainly can't argue with all his achievements and career over the years, the only time he rode one for us,drew wide stayed 3 wide most the trip cariried  59kg over 2000m, on a favourable heavy track, which he told us he didn't handle, upside horse backed up following weekend same track and conditions won well, with a different rider and a very economical trip, but that's racing, you just never know.

11 hours ago, Shad said:

Certainly can't argue with all his achievements and career over the years, the only time he rode one for us,drew wide stayed 3 wide most the trip cariried  59kg over 2000m, on a favourable heavy track, which he told us he didn't handle, upside horse backed up following weekend same track and conditions won well, with a different rider and a very economical trip, but that's racing, you just never know.

Chris has certainly had his 'Chris' days, but you can guarantee that whatever he rides will be ok to go next time.   

I recall someone asking Peter Williams, back in the day, why he bothered with Chris, when he failed to turn up at the races.   I'd have him booked any time, he said, whether he's here or not, because at least he won't be riding against me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Freda said:

Chris has certainly had his 'Chris' days, but you can guarantee that whatever he rides will be ok to go next time.   

I recall someone asking Peter Williams, back in the day, why he bothered with Chris, when he failed to turn up at the races.   I'd have him booked any time, he said, whether he's here or not, because at least he won't be riding against me.

When you look back at some of those rides on loader, one of many,  remember one race at banks peninsula back in the day, not a hope in hell when they turned for hone, what a run, got there by a nose.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2023 at 12:10 PM, Special Agent said:

Doesn't he still hold the all time record for the most wins by a jockey?  I'd have thought that would be reason enough for inclusion.

And unlikely to be surpassed, a phenomenal achievement from a low populous North Canterbury town and even more phenomenal considering he was eight years out of the game.

In his heyday Johnson was without peer and in my view the most gifted jockey to grace the pigskin in the last fifty years here. I certainly rate him a class above every other incumbent Hall of Famer in that time.

It's a tragedy that the Johnson of today is now not a shadow of his former self.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Freda said:

Age and injury dims even the brightest star.   He may - or may not - return, time will tell, but even now he's as good as most and better than quite a few.

Yep. And like Jelly said, I'd still probably rather have him on down there than riding against us.

51 minutes ago, Freda said:

Age and injury dims even the brightest star.   He may - or may not - return, time will tell, but even now he's as good as most and better than quite a few.

I watched two races at Riccarton yesterday and decided the riding standard was too poor to risk having a bet.

Plus the silly trackside presenter talking about her shopping all the time turned me off.

He's the best jockey I've ever seen, and I think largely under appreciated over the years.

My favourite ride has always been Domino in the Oaks; I backed it of course, so very exciting. I did speak to him in the carpark at Trentham after one of the big days, can't remember if it was that Oaks day of not. The members carpark was always the place to be after a big day at Trentham. I assume that doesn't happen anymore.

I'm sure CWJ would be an amazing person to sit down and have a beer with. I can't think of anyone in Racing who would be more interesting.

Even some of his post race interviews have always been entertaining.

I think if he didn't go straight into the hall of fame as soon as he retires there would be a lot of people asking why not.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, curious said:

Update from the CWJ fb page:

Nicci Johnson

Admin
Top contributor
I can update that got another 3 months acc. Is having odd ride weekly to gauge how leg is. Fitness improving and movement much better. Hopefully September/October we may see him on track.

yip, he is taking a very slow and steady as she goes approach, the damage was to a very complexed part of the foot and has taken a long time to correct.

the key is, that He makes the decision, and that it is properly healed first, pointless coming back when it's not right.

Tiz good to know that there is still a buzz to be had when he is having that odd ride! :)

ps. I set up the CWJ page quite a few years back, to recognise his career, but also to show the likes of HO that racing is not really using social media that well, a slight improvement since, but NZ Racing History is still way behind when digital is involved! Prof Google doesn't have much to work on! 

• Like 2

On 23/04/2023 at 2:24 PM, Doomed said:

He's the best jockey I've ever seen, and I think largely under appreciated over the years.

My favourite ride has always been Domino in the Oaks; I backed it of course, so very exciting. I did speak to him in the carpark at Trentham after one of the big days, can't remember if it was that Oaks day of not. The members carpark was always the place to be after a big day at Trentham. I assume that doesn't happen anymore.

I'm sure CWJ would be an amazing person to sit down and have a beer with. I can't think of anyone in Racing who would be more interesting.

Even some of his post race interviews have always been entertaining.

I think if he didn't go straight into the hall of fame as soon as he retires there would be a lot of people asking why not.

I'm sure he finished 3rd in a Melbourne cup on mercator to, that would have to be a career highlight.

• Like 1

My favourite ride has always been Domino in the Oaks;

1: He's the best jockey I've ever seen, and I think largely under appreciated over the years.

2: My favourite ride has always been Domino in the Oaks; I backed it of course, so very exciting. I did speak to him in the carpark at Trentham after one of the big days, can't remember if it was that Oaks day of not. The members carpark was always the place to be after a big day at Trentham. I assume that doesn't happen anymore.

3: I'm sure CWJ would be an amazing person to sit down and have a beer with. I can't think of anyone in Racing who would be more interesting. Even some of his post race interviews have always been entertaining. I think if he didn't go straight into the hall of fame as soon as he retires there would be a lot of people asking why not.

Hi, I will work my way down you post.  

1: We share commonalities re that! Though, as I mature, life  has taught me to be wary of 'comparing and goats etc' , But to really appreciate Talent if we get the chance to get close to it! Life has privileged me in many way, one being the access that I have had to so many Pro Athletics!  Across multiple Sports and Jobs.  Gee, I could sit here now and type up a long list of strengths that I have seen Jockeys bring to Excellence while doing their Job!  I know it quickly gets vulgar if one tries to compare and contrasted say a James Mac with say a CWJ.  Totally different back stories to start with! 1000% different journeys taken via their Rides etc!  We do know that CWJ #1 Wins on NZ Tracks. :) And that will be celebrated  for ever in History! 

#2: I happened to work that Oaks day! Got some strong Action shots of that win!  (I could add a amusing back story, to that race day, but will not...) by chance, I have chosen a photo from that win, for me my 'project/book', weaving it into a story of how many top fillies that Chris has ridden, Facing The Music gets in as well... more on that later.

#3 Beer and Chris have played out so far in his career.  :)  
If not a beer! I could attempt to arrange a photo! and a cuppa, one day! 

Do you get on course much theses days? Sigh, I've gone from a once! 100+ year  to a few times a  Nil. This season I've been going Big!  2 meetings and a Got on course, but abended flag went up! from the amusing so dept,  the first run back took a lot out of me! 1000+ cool photos taken though!  10 races was a challenge. 7 races, I only walked 5.5ks v 8.10 at previous!  800+ photos, Ms helped out taking a few 100 more.  I'm thankful for having the needed fitness to photo the way I do! I not be like the some, who don't actually understand how a days races should be captured, be if for that day, or for marketing or future history....

If you like stats, from the June 2nd meeting I posted up X (30?)shots, gaining multi 10000+ views!  I'm sure I could have put x photos up and from that one meeting that would more that match months of postings from 'official sites', sigh, I feel the bitterness coming on!! time to walk away from the computer! 

So, I don't bite, am always up for a in person chat, on any track, should you be up for it/one! :)  As shown to be true by my actions at Wingatui on Sunday.