Bit Of A Yarn

Government approves Entain partnership with TAB NZ

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

https://harnesslink.com/new-zealand/government-approves-entain-partnership-with-tab-nz/

A couple of years of normal and then what!  Betting bans for smart punters, trackside turns to shit with no interviews just wall to wall racing and much worse.  💩💩💩

The NZ TAB has gone backwards over the decades due to very poor decision making!!

Signing up to a partnership with ENTAIN for 25 years seems a massive gamble due to the length of term!

Entain will only be interested in their own pockets and nothing else and can see it backfiring on the racing industry big time!

Hopefully I am wrong but I doubt it!

HARM MINIMALIZATION   what a load of BS!

When have they stopped losing punters from losing money????

I personally do not need this HARM MINIMALIZATION, quite the opposite!

This TAB outfit restricts me from wagering on their races when I am not doing any harm to myself or financial situation?

Entain has now got the power to do anything they want and the changes are going to be massive.

All they want is punters using their phones or computers and TAB agencies, Pub Tab’s etc. will be done away with!

Harness racing will go into demise as they dont need it to be operating as they have their hands on Sports Betting!

Just another poor decision from the incompetent bunch in Wellington, that dont give a rats about its citizens!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

That announcement said the tab would have the monopoly over racing and sports betting.

But then it said that will happen once further work has been done. How long does that take as they first started looking into it in 2019.

McAnulty seems to be pushing for positive change,but  what it actually all means does need to be put into words that everyone can understand.

When he said the nz tab will receive more punter support,because nz punters won't have anywhere else to go...well does that mean any betting on the likes of the overseas betting agencies like betfair will be prohibited in the future?  sounds like it,but when are the laws for that coming into effect.

And what about the online casions's,lotteries and the fastest form of gambling in nz the on line pokie machines. Are they part of what he has said will be the tab's monopoly of on line gambling.He says the tab will remove its 500  nz class 4 gaming licences(is that 500 pokies or 500 venues for pokies).What does that actually mean as far as income sources for the likes of the clubs who currently benefit.

If so,will the TAB in the future provide those type of products online and if so where does the money go.Currently the overseas agencies for the likes of the pokies don't have any harm minimalization commitments, is that what he is talking about when he talks about reducing problem gambling harm,or do they just carry on as is.

Whats this facial recognition the entain talks about. They refer to it as a way of stopping problem gamblers placing bets,but will that be another way of restricting winning punters.

McAnulty said in his press conference that punters who beat the bookies shouldn't be restricted. Is that not a bit of a fairy tale claim which makes you wonder how accurate the rest of what he said is.

Given the NZ tab clearly has a policy of doing everything they can to stop winning punters from investing,as do overseas bookmakers which i thought entain was,then why is much going to change.

Like i said,how much of what he says actually be delivered and how much will turn out to be hot air speculation? And what are the timelines?

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

32 minutes ago, the galah said:

He says the tab will remove its 500  nz class 4 gaming licences(is that 500 pokies or 500 venues for pokies).What does that actually mean as far as income sources for the likes of the clubs who currently benefit.

The pokies also fund community groups and the RIU/RIB.  We are living in Labour Party la la land.

• Like 1

It's 500 machines and they fund the RIB to the tune of $15,000,000

Year #1 not looking that great already

I have no views either way as I haven't followed the finer print that closely, but 2028/29 is when the deal can be judged; that's the first year after the gaurenteed "payments"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

That announcement said the tab would have the monopoly over racing and sports betting.

But then it said that will happen once further work has been done. How long does that take as they first started looking into it in 2019.

McAnulty seems to be pushing for positive change,but  what it actually all means does need to be put into words that everyone can understand.

When he said the nz tab will receive more punter support,because nz punters won't have anywhere else to go...well does that mean any betting on the likes of the overseas betting agencies like betfair will be prohibited in the future?  sounds like it,but when are the laws for that coming into effect.

And what about the online casions's,lotteries and the fastest form of gambling in nz the on line pokie machines. Are they part of what he has said will be the tab's monopoly of on line gambling.He says the tab will remove its 500  nz class 4 gaming licences(is that 500 pokies or 500 venues for pokies).What does that actually mean as far as income sources for the likes of the clubs who currently benefit.

If so,will the TAB in the future provide those type of products online and if so where does the money go.Currently the overseas agencies for the likes of the pokies don't have any harm minimalization commitments, is that what he is talking about when he talks about reducing problem gambling harm,or do they just carry on as is.

Whats this facial recognition the entain talks about. They refer to it as a way of stopping problem gamblers placing bets,but will that be another way of restricting winning punters.

McAnulty said in his press conference that punters who beat the bookies shouldn't be restricted. Is that not a bit of a fairy tale claim which makes you wonder how accurate the rest of what he said is.

Given the NZ tab clearly has a policy of doing everything they can to stop winning punters from investing,as do overseas bookmakers which i thought entain was,then why is much going to change.

Like i said,how much of what he says actually be delivered and how much will turn out to be hot air speculation? And what are the timelines?

Entain will want losing punters.

You are correct tve facial recognition is so that they can eliminate winning punters.

When has a betting agency ever stopped losing punters?

Every punter should be treated equally and restrictions need to be removed
Why should people who have the ability be restricted to pathetic betting amounts and be treated as a criminal?
Yes they may be throwing a lot of cash around but it is in the best interests of only one party.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Special Agent said:

The pokies also fund community groups and the RIU/RIB.  We are living in Labour Party la la land.

Good question.Its like they have cherry picked the best bits for the announcement to the racing industry but given the broad sweeping statements,is there a full report that gives actual detail that those who are interested can read so they can have a more informed opinion.

Mr McAnulty does seem to at least understand the issues.

Its just we've heard so called game changing announcements before,and they failed to deliver.We all remember seeing John allen go on and on about the new TAB website in 2019 being a game changer to improve revenue.  That was a disaster that never made sense.And so it proved.

At least this some of the claims by mcanulty appear to make sense to a certain degree.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Entain will want losing punters.

You are correct tve facial recognition is so that they can eliminate winning punters.

When has a betting agency ever stopped losing punters?

Every punter should be treated equally and restrictions need to be removed
Why should people who have the ability be restricted to pathetic betting amounts and be treated as a criminal?
Yes they may be throwing a lot of cash around but it is in the best interests of only one party.

I think the harm protection policy,and the ability of government to have influence and control over the NZ TAB in respect of that sounds full of merit.The current situation of government having no control of enforcing overseas operators in that respect was something that we can all understand needed change.I guess that is part of how they influence public opinion of those who have little interest in gambling, to accept possible growth by the NZTAB.

But like you have said brodie,Why should  winning punters think they will be assisted by the tab or Entain.

McAnulty said winning punters who beat the bookies shouldn't be restricted.

Well why didn't he say that part of the deal was to include a regulation or law or whatever,that ensured exactly that.

Had he done so, he might have won your vote on that alone. Maybe,...nah,probably not.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Be mad not to.

I have a gut felling that the allure of a promising partnership paints a rosy picture, but behind the facade, it will reveal the grim truth: an unsuspected alliance with an evil dictator who wants only one thing... to wring as much money out of the New Zealand Punter as it is humanly possible. They will not be doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

• Like 1

Just now, Nowornever said:

I have a gut feeling that the allure of a promising partnership paints a rosy picture, but behind the facade, it will reveal the grim truth: an unsuspected alliance with an evil dictator who wants only one thing... to wring as much money out of the New Zealand Punter as it is humanly possible. They will not be doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

3 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Brodie I hear you going on about restrictions.

Obviously this applies to fixed odds only but what are people being restricted too.

What are their winnable limits ?

What are restricted too ?

Amounts on accounts that just are not worth the effort!

$30 on Top 4 

A few hundred on some other bets.

They are either Bookies or they are not Mikey?

The AML $1k limit is also a huge restriction!!

6 hours ago, Robalan said:

GOSH YOU ARE HARD TO PLEASE BRODIE. THIS IS THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO RACING FOR DECADES

I do hope you are right Robalan!

This Entain outfit are not in it to help NZ Racing!

They are pretty ruthless from what I have read, however I will wait and see!

So you reckon that they will let punters on for what they want?

Hole they do, but wont be holding my breath as Entain owns Ladbrokes Australia and they shut me down!

I believe that harness racing will be ok for a few years if they get bigger payouts from the  TAB but ultimately it will eventually fold as Entain dont want harness racing as the money for them is SPORTS BETTING and now they will control this!

To be fair it is the NZ TAB fault that it has come to this due to some shocking policy decisions being made unfortunately!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brodie said:

They are pretty ruthless from what I have read, however I will wait and see!

Yes I have been banned from every one of their bookmaker companies in Aussie.

We wish to advise that following a recent review, we have decided to close your account.
Please advise your bank details (incl. Bank Name, BSB, Account Name and Account Number), and we will arrange for payment of any outstanding balance as soon as possible.
We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

You can look forward to that in coming years Brodie 😂

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

somewhat presumptuous on their part

Yes I was livid and that got me going. I sent off an email that would have made their eyes bleed reading it. They did send the money out of the account back to me pretty quickly😂.

• Like 1

Brodie, the reason I don't quote anyone is because I have  arsehole phone that stuffs up.

You quote figures of 30 bucks on a top four, the TAB has it says 250000 account holders, most are small time punters but they all add up but I think I read somewhere that 3% of customers bet 87% of turnover so ic they want to grow turnover look after your core base.

You probably are not going to grow turnover by more nz customers, many don't bet in our society and having more options is actually creating gambling issues, do we need all these Xtra betting options ?

If the commingling goes on the major aussie races be interesting to see what the pools are, with TABcorp they were Feely big with Entain I'd say they would be much smaller.