Bit Of A Yarn

Government approves Entain partnership with TAB NZ

I will add I only bet small amounts, for fun , I did have a period where I was serious but gambling has not been good to me money wise but I do it coz I enjoy, I am simply being responsible.

Was in a shop the other day, women bought 50 grams of roll ya own tobacco, 123 bucks, now that is a waste of money, at least having a punt you might win something.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Yes I have been banned from every one of their bookmaker companies in Aussie.

We wish to advise that following a recent review, we have decided to close your account.
Please advise your bank details (incl. Bank Name, BSB, Account Name and Account Number), and we will arrange for payment of any outstanding balance as soon as possible.
We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

You can look forward to that in coming years Brodie 😂

When I was restricted by the NZ  TAB, I was told to open up accounts in Oz!

Bit of a rigmarole to do this, but did open a few, Sportsbet, Ladbrokes Australia and Centrebet.

Ladbrokes Oz let me wager for a couple of months and then stopped taking my bets.

Centrebet and Sportsbet werent quite as bad, eventually restrictions so it wasnt worth the time and effort!

They are pretty gutless these Bookies, and are just not prepared to let anyone with ability BEAT THEM!!!!!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Brodie, the reason I don't quote anyone is because I have  arsehole phone that stuffs up.

You quote figures of 30 bucks on a top four, the TAB has it says 250000 account holders, most are small time punters but they all add up but I think I read somewhere that 3% of customers bet 87% of turnover so ic they want to grow turnover look after your core base.

You probably are not going to grow turnover by more nz customers, many don't bet in our society and having more options is actually creating gambling issues, do we need all these Xtra betting options ?

If the commingling goes on the major aussie races be interesting to see what the pools are, with TABcorp they were Feely big with Entain I'd say they would be much smaller.

Probably half of those 250,000 have joined up to get their 10 deposit bonus spent it and never touched their TAB account again. Great marketing by the TAB but the numbers are grossly over inflated and do not tell the real story.

Just fast forwarded thru The Box Seat!

Michael Guerin is all for this Entain deal, but said that half the comments at McAnulty’s presentation from the public was negative, and everyone should be seeing this as a big positive for harness racing!

I am sure it will be to start with for a few years as far as stake money goes.

Is it going to be enough to attract new owners to the industry as the older existing owners go to a pasture?

I dont believe for one moment that Entain is here to help out harness racing in NZ!

They have got their hands on the betting monopoly in NZ and Sports is what they want and they wont give a rats if harness in NZ is destroyed!

Yes Michael Guerin, total negativity at its highest, but reality!

Let us just see if they allow NZ punters to wager the amounts they wish to seem they are this massive corporate betting monstrosity that has come in and impressed McAnulty and co.!!!!

If they adopt the same rules that their betting agencies they own in australia is anything to go on, we are in trouble!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Just fast forwarded thru The Box Seat!

Michael Guerin is all for this Entain deal, but said that half the comments at McAnulty’s presentation from the public was negative, and everyone should be seeing this as a big positive for harness racing!

I am sure it will be to start with for a few years as far as stake money goes.

Is it going to be enough to attract new owners to the industry as the older existing owners go to a pasture?

I dont believe for one moment that Entain is here to help out harness racing in NZ!

They have got their hands on the betting monopoly in NZ and Sports is what they want and they wont give a rats if harness in NZ is destroyed!

Yes Michael Guerin, total negativity at its highest, but reality!

Guerin has a track record of getting over excited, and completely losing balance and perspective on issues. He needs his very own mute button  

• Haha 2

On 5/23/2023 at 4:47 PM, the galah said:

That announcement said the tab would have the monopoly over racing and sports betting.

But then it said that will happen once further work has been done. How long does that take as they first started looking into it in 2019.

McAnulty seems to be pushing for positive change,but  what it actually all means does need to be put into words that everyone can understand.

When he said the nz tab will receive more punter support,because nz punters won't have anywhere else to go...well does that mean any betting on the likes of the overseas betting agencies like betfair will be prohibited in the future?  sounds like it,but when are the laws for that coming into effect.

And what about the online casions's,lotteries and the fastest form of gambling in nz the on line pokie machines. Are they part of what he has said will be the tab's monopoly of on line gambling.He says the tab will remove its 500  nz class 4 gaming licences(is that 500 pokies or 500 venues for pokies).What does that actually mean as far as income sources for the likes of the clubs who currently benefit.

If so,will the TAB in the future provide those type of products online and if so where does the money go.Currently the overseas agencies for the likes of the pokies don't have any harm minimalization commitments, is that what he is talking about when he talks about reducing problem gambling harm,or do they just carry on as is.

Whats this facial recognition the entain talks about. They refer to it as a way of stopping problem gamblers placing bets,but will that be another way of restricting winning punters.

McAnulty said in his press conference that punters who beat the bookies shouldn't be restricted. Is that not a bit of a fairy tale claim which makes you wonder how accurate the rest of what he said is.

Given the NZ tab clearly has a policy of doing everything they can to stop winning punters from investing,as do overseas bookmakers which i thought entain was,then why is much going to change.

Like i said,how much of what he says actually be delivered and how much will turn out to be hot air speculation? And what are the timelines?

What I heard from Kieran McAnulty sounded a hell of a lot like very contentious decisions have been made but they won't be confirmed until later. One is that kiwis will be banned from wagering offshore because those platforms are not Governed by NZ law. Haha. This will be sold to punters as the Government "following advice" What it actually is to my eye is improving Entain's revenue as promised and the Governments by legally introducing what is effectively anti-competitive legislation. All kiwi punters will be forced to wager with the NZ TAB with all that entails. It's a massive step backwards.

The TAB being gifted 5 million dollars to install facial technology in all TAB's under the guise of "Harm minimization" is a complete charade and all NZ punters should see straight through it. The TAB are laughing. It's all about maximizing the profit the TAB can make and minimizing what good punters can win. Harm minimization is a myth. They couldn't possibly care less. Entain has also well and truly proven that and who trusts Politicians, especially the ones in Government now? They will make it sound fluffy by talking about supporting NZ Sport etc bla bla bla but that's little more than a Public Relations campaign. Facial recognition technology at the TAB is all about quickly and efficiently stopping winning punters from hurting the TAB's profit take. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Champ Post 1

33 minutes ago, Walt said:

Facial recognition technology at the TAB is all about quickly and efficiently stopping winning punters from hurting the TAB's profit take. Nothing more, nothing less. 

i can just see the Brodster walking down the street with his mask, sunglasses and hat on ,always looking down. Is he finally taking the covid thing seriously....No hes off to the TAB..

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

Why do we need facial recognition?

Harm minimisation ... what nonsense.

The $1k AML policy is also total BS!

It is all about stopping punters from winning nothing else.

Total control but yes I will be going in disguises! Lol

Facial recognition is BS we  should be boycotting the tossers,

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Brodie said:

Facial recognition is BS we  should be boycotting the tossers,

I suppose it comes down to how much you want a bet.  If the new regime start squeezing the odds punters will find other ways to bet elsewhere or spend their money on something else.

As far as geo blocking is concerned, all I can say is good luck!!