Bit Of A Yarn

Trackside - pretty new graphics???????

Firstly if they change a race to trackside 2, they tell you, about 10 minutes after its run, looking at the betting figures, a lot of the place betting especially in NZ is about 70% in relation to the win pool, not so high in relation to ozzy, rarely have the results.

Why have they ignored place betting is a mystery, exotics are a bit different 

Should have the official time next to race number.

• Champ Post 1

50 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Firstly if they change a race to trackside 2, they tell you, about 10 minutes after its run, looking at the betting figures, a lot of the place betting especially in NZ is about 70% in relation to the win pool, not so high in relation to ozzy, rarely have the results.

Why have they ignored place betting is a mystery, exotics are a bit different 

Should have the official time next to race number.

Mikey, I have noticed it as well looking at the tote pools.

The win and place pools prior to the changes were normally about the same size!

However there is now a major shortfall on the place tote pool since the stupid changes!

Who would’ve thought???????

Clueless decision making or have they deliberately done this????

6 hours ago, Brodie said:

Mikey, I have noticed it as well looking at the tote pools.

The win and place pools prior to the changes were normally about the same size!

However there is now a major shortfall on the place tote pool since the stupid changes!

Who would’ve thought???????

Clueless decision making or have they deliberately done this????

Thats not the case from my observations.

If you had looked at them prior to the trackside changes,i'm almost certain there hasn't been much of a change from then to now.

Win pools on the tote on nz harness generally average about double on the win pool to the place pools. 

I think the low pools are less around 50% and the higher win pools that get around $10,000 or more have over 60%,sometimes 70% of that in the place pools.

It just makes sense for them to be like that anyway.

Two reasons i can think of.

The aussie place pools on harness are lucky to get to 30% of their win pools. It happens virtually every hanress race there. e.g. right at this moment a race from mildura is being run. On the nz tab the commingled win pool is $15751,place pool $4892. So the commingled money coming into our pools from aussie will always be more on the win than place.

Secondly the bookies who off load their ff liabilities do so nearly always into the win pools,as that can mitigate their losses on a win pool but were they to do so on the place,given the pools are much smaller,its almost pointless for them to do so.

Hey i understand why some are complaining about not seeing the place ff dividens,given they are used to it,but reality is i think people who bet on the place have to open their account to put a bet on anyway,then click on the odds when they select their bet,so they are going to be see the prices whenever they want anyway.

I guess what some may be saying is they keep the device they bet on in another room and its not as convienient to go from room to room when assessing what to invest on. If they do have their device they use to bet with them in the same room as the tv,then why not just look at that.

Edited by the galah

6 hours ago, the galah said:

Thats not the case from my observations.

If you had looked at them prior to the trackside changes,i'm almost certain there hasn't been much of a change from then to now.

Win pools on the tote on nz harness generally average about double on the win pool to the place pools. 

The Galah on the money here.

I doubt there has been consistent parity between the win and place pools for over a decade.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the bets that are taken are in the last 3 or 4 minutes leading up to a race screening on Trackside.

Win and place has always been the most popular form of betting,quinellas also, if everyone as some say are betting on their phones tablets  etc etc and getting their odds and info  etc etc, then why have odds for anything on Trackside but then to counter that argument, if you show the odds on screen for win, then should also do same for place, there is very good value for many on the gallops, and many times for the grass track trots as well on place betting as opposed to a lot of the harness races with 2 dollar pops winning, a lot of the place money, hardly worth the effort, greyhounds the same, hence the lower percentage from win to place.

In some ways the new trackside presentation is good, the older version did have a lot of clutter, I think it needs a bit of tinkering though, showing races and then not screening results, not always knowing which races are coming up, and moving the coverage from 1 channel to the other and not telling, those are little things.

Moving to freeview, that is a positive, don't know how many it helps, maybe many who watch may not bet or bet much but it's exposing more people to racing, that can't be bad, it's worked for Cricket this year.

You can say people don't watch or aren't watching TV much but they will if you put stuff worth watching, and that's still the number one way to get viewer participation or exposure.

Interestingly TVNZ cutting one or two of their most popular programmes does seem a bit counter-productive to me.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

In some ways the new trackside presentation is good, the older version did have a lot of clutter, I think it needs a bit of tinkering though, showing races and then not screening results, not always knowing which races are coming up, and moving the coverage from 1 channel to the other and not telling, those are little things.

I missed the lead time / sectionals that used to be in the top right corner.

I wish I could miss the overhead shot taking up the entire screen. 

4 hours ago, Rangatira said:

The Galah on the money here.

I doubt there has been consistent parity between the win and place pools for over a decade.

I always remember the win and place tote pools to be roughly the same in each pool, even recently.

Anyway Brodie has said his piece as to what he thinks of the new graphics, and we are all entitled to our opinion!

If you are happy with it and the NZ TAB and Entain believe that it will encourage new punters and increase turnover and profit then it has to be good?

I still believe that it is a shocker not representing Place options and it is going to show up in a decrease in turnover for racing turnover.

• Haha 1

A fair percentage of the Friday night and weekend tote pools would be pub drinkers having a bet. New graphics and no place dividends would have be having an impact. To what degree hard to tell, but definitely a turn off for many.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark D said:

So this new system seems less than "agile".  No fixed odds on HK racing so there is a blank column under the FT win odds alongside the tote odds

Geez Mark!

Are you you really having a crack at gallops and Hong Kong gallops?

17 hours ago, Brodie said:

Geez Mark!

Are you you really having a crack at gallops and Hong Kong gallops?

I'm more into Gallops but when I cam on here to comment on the new Trackside Graphics the posts were on the Trots site so I went with the flow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

One suggestion I have is to ENTAIN - sack your graphics people.  Orange bleeds into white so you can't read it.

They must be immune to the scathing criticism on social media platforms or they would have fixed it by now. 

Probably another case of I know best from the higher ups, just like getting rid of free to air.

• Like 1