Bit Of A Yarn

U may cullect

• 2 months later...

It would be great if he can keep his unbeaten record intact for as long as possible, however I and I am sure many others, would just like to see him step away nicely and go a good race. In a roundabout way it may not be a bad thing if he did get beaten, as a lot of pressure will be mounting after each successive victory. I recall Peter Moody saying the same thing with his mare a few years ago.

Best of luck to connections, bring on Cup day!! 

• Like 3

UMC should really eat that field and handle them on his ear, along with every other bloody thing on his ear.

Admittedly, he will be far from screwed down, but great to see him back on the track, win, lose or draw, and by all reports has been working up well. 

• Champ Post 1

16 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Just out of interest a kg is 4 points in gallops (might be wrong on that but Thomaas isn't here to correct me) what is 10m in points for harness?

I'm lost now with the handicap system, Im buggered if I know how they work out the metres system, it was easy to work out in the old days!

Edited by Flagship uberalles

4 minutes ago, Westview said:

First horse I part owned was franco czar, its form was 12211 I was telling jim dalgety how it was going and he said to me, my old mate they don't keep winning. How rite he was the bastard never won again,  for all that I certainly hope this horse proves him wrong .

I met Jim Dalgety once.  He visited our stall at the races and had a look at my Dad's 3yr old colt by Lordship.  Jim reckoned he was the exact replica of Johnny Globe and Jim would have known given his close involvement with Johnny.

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

What was his name Chief ?. Ive been around a long time , will probably remember him.

Dunhill.  He was more than useful but unfortunately started to hit a knee. Beaten the thickness of a credit card in the Orari Challenge Stakes by Nostradamus which won the Messenger.  Ran in the Derby - ended up parked and finished 5th.  Won a few races.  Ted Lowe had a drive of him on his home farm track and ran a furlong in 12.  Ted said he was the fastest horse on that track he'd driven.  

I can't quite remember but Jim Dalgety had a close association with Johnny Globe when he was racing.  Jim pointed out that Dunhill had exactly the same dapple across his back as Johnny.

He was the first horse I ever drove at speed in pace work.  I didn't have much experience but the faster he went the more you had to hold onto him.  You could feel it.

I remember his first race day start at Kaikoura.  The big punt was on but unfortunately things came unstuck.  He raced in a penalty bearing non-tote race at Blenheim the Saturday before the Monday meeting.  Went straight to the front and no matter how hard the driver tried to hold him nothing would or could go past him.  So got penalised 30m for tote start. 

When we arrived back at the track on Sunday morning and went to his stall/yard he wasn't there.  Someone said oh is that your horse?  He was found running around the track and he's tied up in a stall.  The bloody horse had lifted the yard gate off it's hinges!  He was a bloody houdini and had also a habit of unlatching the gate using his lips and teeth.  We made a big iron u-bolt which we took with us everywhere.

Onto Kaikoura and a typical maiden race where horses were breaking left right and centre he tacked on to the main group at the end of the back straight and his driver said stuff this I'm off.  Went from last to first around the bend but hit his knee just before straightening and broke!  The plans of mice and men!  

Weird though how the mare kept throwing to the sire line.  Dunhill's full brother was an identical twin to his sire Lordship - the small white markings Lordship had were exactly the same size and position on him.  I was fortunate to see Lordship in the flesh at stud.  Unfortunately the horse had heaps of talent but had a muscular problem with floating something or rather that would have required an expensive operation to fix.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Dunhill.  He was more than useful but unfortunately started to hit a knee. Beaten the thickness of a credit card in the Orari Challenge Stakes by Nostradamus which won the Messenger.  Ran in the Derby - ended up parked and finished 5th.  Won a few races.  Ted Lowe had a drive of him on his home farm track and ran a furlong in 12.  Ted said he was the fastest horse on that track he'd driven.  

I remember his frist race day start at Kaikoura.  The big punt was on but unfortunately things came unstuck.  He raced in a penalty bearing non-tote race at Blenheim the Saturday before the Monday meeting.  Went straight to the front and no matter how hard the driver tried to hold him nothing would or could go past him.  So got penalised 30m for tote start.  Typical maiden race where horses were breaking left right and centre he tacked on to the main group at the end of the back straight and his driver said stuff this I'm off.  Went from last to first around the bend but hit his knee just before straightening and broke!  The plans of mice and men!  

brian hill could produce one alright

38 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

brian hill could produce one alright

Yeah the stable went through a purple patch for a period.  Single Lord, McShane and a number of others I can't quite remember.  All bred by the stable.

Single Lord and McShane were 3/4 brothers.  Single Lord was by Lordship and McShane was by Johnny Gee and both were out of Single Girl.  A mare gifted to the Hill's by Ted Lowe.

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yeah the stable went through a purple patch for a period.  Single Lord, MacShane and a number of others I can't quite remember.  All bred by the stable.

i remember a 2yo first starter called double smooth turning up at addington late in may and easily beating a 5 win horse in ashley knight and bee el

ran 4th in lyndon roberts sapling stakes a week later

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

i remember a 2yo first starter called double smooth turning up at addington late in may and easily beating a 5 win horse in ashley knight and bee el

ran 4th in lyndon roberts sapling stakes a week later

Yep I remember him. Ian Thomas bred and owned him initially.  Same era as Dunhill.  I remember having Dunhill in the sulky and Double Smooth on a lead doing the 40min jog.  This was after big money had been offered for Double Smooth and a lesser amount for Dunhill.  I remember coming back from working them and saying "Geez I had just had $300k in my hands."

Dunhill beat Family Fun, Lyndon Robert and Borana in a 3yr old race at Timaru.

• Like 3