Bit Of A Yarn

U may cullect

7 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Yes owm, I got that impression to, it certainly wasn't trying to Go up outside the leader, more trying to hinder UMC improving..

Hit the nail on the head mate, thought exactly that too. I didn't think that was within the rules, to pop out like that and not improve... but I may be wrong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Yes owm, I got that impression to, it certainly wasn't trying to Go up outside the leader, more trying to hinder UMC improving...... but as Davy Mac would say that horse has a motor!

The most blatant example  of team driving Ive seen in a long time  And the stipes comment ............

• Like 2

Between the 500m to 400m mark, it looked like he had the afterburners on he was going that fast. 55.8 for the last quarter but he was moving the fastest between the aforementioned distance. 

Real Deal? Think so.

1 hour ago, Harewood said:

The most blatant example  of team driving Ive seen in a long time  And the stipes comment ............

Silly drive whatever was intended. 

• 2 weeks later...

UMC now the third fave with the NZ TAB to win the Cup, at $7.50. Admittedly this is after the defection of Turn It Up. 

Looking forward to seeing him go around again Friday night. It would be great to see his unbeaten record remain intact. It should do, but it won't be the end of the world if he does get beaten. Just hoping that he puts in a good run and remains sound and ready for the big dance in November. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The streak continues. Just. Looked a bit lost in the trail!

Wins in fast time against some good horses. Unless you are Winx or Brodie, no one wins all the time so to win by a nose is pretty cool.

Fun times.

Horse is still pretty green as seemed to switch off and on abit.

All you can do is win, whether it a nose or lengths.

I am not getting carried away with it as yet, as although Classic Brigade is much improved in the last couple of, starts, he is no champion.

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I am not getting carried away with it as yet, as although Classic Brigade is much improved in the last couple of, starts, he is no champion.

Dunns have improved him. I thought Classical Brigade showed a lot of heart, far more than when he was trained by McGrath. He was not very brave before now looks like he is. Early days though.

Just now, Brodie said:

Take this with a grain of salt if you like. On what I've seen of Classie Brigade in his last two starts he's getting back to somewhere near his best which, as a three-year-old, had him near the best of the rest behind Lazarus.

In four months U May Cullect has gone from being an unknown unqualified pacer in Southland to tonight winning a $40k race at Addington against some very good horses. 

Triple Eight was unlucky probably not to run third behind Turn It Up at the Jewels a couple of weeks ago. 

I'm not hyping UMC up. I think he's a very good horse but we'll see just how good in the spring. But on what I've seen, he's going to mix it right up there with the best of them when that time comes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brodie said:

He,s green alright. Switched off going down the back and had to have a couple of reminders to keep his mind on the job.

Pretty good run considering he worked early, and a last quarter in 55 and change. We are talking about a horse having only his seventh run, beating a 42 race veteran and winner of 13. Triple eight looks a nice horse in the making as well, so the open ranks may be full again in the near future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Counter Punch said:

Take this with a grain of salt if you like. On what I've seen of Classie Brigade in his last two starts he's getting back to somewhere near his best which, as a three-year-old, had him near the best of the rest behind Lazarus.

In four months U May Cullect has gone from being an unknown unqualified pacer in Southland to tonight winning a $40k race at Addington against some very good horses. 

Triple Eight was unlucky probably not to run third behind Turn It Up at the Jewels a couple of weeks ago. 

I'm not hyping UMC up. I think he's a very good horse but we'll see just how good in the spring. But on what I've seen, he's going to mix it right up there with the best of them when that time comes. 

Totally agree, what he has done in a few months is fantastic.

Great that there are horses from the south that can mix it with Canterbury horses.

Still improvement in UMC but doubt he should be short for the NZ Cup!

27 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Still improvement in UMC but doubt he should be short for the NZ Cup!

Brodie (and anybody else); A lot can happen between now and November, but what odds do you think would be fair for UMC in the Cup at this stage? 

36 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Brodie (and anybody else); A lot can happen between now and November, but what odds do you think would be fair for UMC in the Cup at this stage? 

We are 5 months out from a race, with a horse that hasn’t beaten any open class horses.

Yes he is unbeaten but sat in the trail most of the way and only just got up by a nostril.

What should he be at in Cup Odds?

Nothing, blatantly silly to be backing anything 5 months out, unknown whether he will start over 3200m from a stand, against a stable that will have horses able to beat UMC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I rate UMC similar to A G Whitesock, which is saying something as he has won a 3200m Group 1. However, I would think he would sit at around 18 to 21 in the market. $7.50 is ridiculous

Very good win last night, got softened up from the outside draw and done a bit of work to get the front, fought like a tiger to get the win, and a good story behind his late start at the races, patience is a virtue, and many horses in all codes are not always given that. Good reward for the connections. 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2019 at 12:12 AM, Rusty said:

UMC currently $7's (SEVENS) with the NZ TAB. 

26's with Ladbrokes. 

21's with Neds. 

17's with Sportsbet. 

Which suggests the NZ TAB is currently losing a fortune on this horse considering he opened at around $51 and was tipped out on Boys Get Paid at that price.

3 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Which suggests the NZ TAB is currently losing a fortune on this horse considering he opened at around $51 and was tipped out on Boys Get Paid at that price.

Not quite correct. But almost. 

The NZ TAB are pussies and just to add to your post, here is a bit of a background story...

I mainly invest with Ladbrokes, so in early April I asked them to add UMC to the NZ Cup market. They offered $34s but through their "Boost" function, $51's was available. I took the $51's. And I think it was $12's for the place. 

I then telephoned the NZ TAB on 8th April and asked for a quote for UMC for the Cup. They only offered $21's and entered him into the market. 

It was me (the clue is in my name) that originally posted on the Boys Get Paid facebook page soon after UMC's third start.

I advised Ladbrokes were offering $51's (boosted) for UMC and the NZ TAB were only offering $21's (original, or opening odds). Said at $51's it was worth a throw at the stumps. 

But better qualified judges than me within the BGP group have said that he has no chance of even making the cup field, and it is all just a great story. Someone else asked (in April) if I meant it to be $50 just for UMC to make the field. 

Clearly I don't know "value" or a good horse when I see one. Makes ya laugh when people start throwing shade on one's selections but won't actually offer something (in a public forum, before the event) themselves. 

Will take a hell of an effort to beat a Purdon horse in the Cup, but UMC could possibly be the one to give them a fright. A very big fright. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 minute ago, Happy Sunrise said:

He was rated 70 after his April 5th win at Addington so was over qualified even at that stage ?

Believe it or not, I even said in my post that he was currently rated 70. And later added if Imola can make a cup field just about anything can if they want. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Was it Imola that buggered the chances of Dream About Me in the Cup? 

Good luck with him. Its a little hard to gauge last fridays run. Was a slushy track, didnt seem that happy, but still won. 

Will be interesting to see how the next few months go for the horse