Bit Of A Yarn

race callers

hunterthepunter

1) Keith Haub....was shafted and NZ racing was poorer as a result.

Considerable distance to ...

2) Peter Kelly.

3) Mark Mac.

4) Reon Murtha

5) Sentimental favourite...Jack O'Donnell 

6) Syd Tonks.

Screamers such as Tony Lee are automatically disqualified. 

Callers who routinely describe horses as flying home, storming home, rocketing home when they are only plodding home also automatically disqualified. Sorry Davy Mac.

Callers who are only ok but have dominated NZ racing forever automatically disqualified. Sorry George Simon. 

Callers who were superb but carried on for too long and were routinely farking up toward the end also automatically disqualified. Sorry Reg Clapp. .....Reon Murtha nearly made that category. 

Worst callers.

Mike O'Sullivan. 

Aaron White. ...total crap at the trots with his obsequious pet name calling but very good at the gallops. 

14 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

who is the best race caller of all time ?? I liked lockie Marshall in his day and will we still have our great caller mark Mac in Canterbury lol

For me it is David Clarkson who painted a picture with his calls and made every race exciting. Then it is hard to separate Peter Kelly, Reon Murtha, Tony Lee and Mark McNamara.

1 hour ago, Furlong said:

For me it is David Clarkson who painted a picture with his calls and made every race exciting. Then it is hard to separate Peter Kelly, Reon Murtha, Tony Lee and Mark McNamara.

Reon was the commentator at Addington when I  started following the sport.  For me he is still the best.  I have heard old recordings of David Clarkson and he was superb, if fact I believe he pioneered the NZ style of commentating.  His daughter taught me at secondary school.  Jack McDonald was another favourite.

28 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

david clarkson took over from the brodsters favourite frank jarrett

Who? frank Jarrett?

The Brodster is only a young one!

All commentators  have a different style, but I believe that Canterbury has certainly had the best harness commentators for as long as I can remember.

They have all been very consistent and accurate.

Reon was very good for a long time, and Mark McNamara   and Matt Cross are now both very good.

Actually liked Darren Tyquin who unfortunately  lost his life before Mark McNamara.

Greg Miles has to rate a mention here. 

However there is no need to mention any "Magnolian" Caulfield Cup winner (I'm sure we are all thinking it), but everyone makes mistakes and everyone can have an off day.

For overall consistency, accuracy, tone and ability to paint a picture with words, he has to rate as one of the best to call a race. 

3 hours ago, boobybec said:

Whats happened here hunter?  I saw him at a pub in Nelson seemed happy enough

Wouldn’t think Mark McNamara would be leaving Canterbury anytime soon, as he gets to commentate on the best track by far at Addington.

Doubt he would go back to Australia as there are far to many Ozzie’s over there!

Unless his wife is in his ear????

• Haha 2

On 12/06/2019 at 9:21 PM, Brodie said:

Wouldn’t think Mark McNamara would be leaving Canterbury anytime soon, as he gets to commentate on the best track by far at Addington.

Doubt he would go back to Australia as there are far to many Ozzie’s over there!

Unless his wife is in his ear????

Yep, you might be on the money this time. I am sure he has had a few words from the mrs lately!

• Like 1