Bit Of A Yarn

New KPC Competition

On 4/08/2019 at 7:11 PM, Brodie said:

Are restricted punters allowed to enter??????

because at the moment it is impossible  to get any semi reasonable bet on anything on account!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone having a go but won’t be easy with the 3 codes included, as most people have a preference.

No.  I entered, had my entry accepted, but was contacted shortly before the competition started and advised:

"As discussed we have not accepted your registration for the KPC Heat 1. Given the online component of the tournament in 2019 we added a clause (49) in the Terms and Conditions to limit entry to customers who the bookmaking team have marked as restricted. ie Certain fixed odds bets are managed. This will be the same for the remainder of the tournament."

The competition slogan should be changed to "Are you New Zealand's best LOSING punter" as winning punters clearly can't enter.

• Champ Post 2

7 minutes ago, butcher said:

No.  I entered, had my entry accepted, but was contacted shortly before the competition started and advised:

"As discussed we have not accepted your registration for the KPC Heat 1. Given the online component of the tournament in 2019 we added a clause (49) in the Terms and Conditions to limit entry to customers who the bookmaking team have marked as restricted. ie Certain fixed odds bets are managed. This will be the same for the remainder of the tournament."

The competition slogan should be changed to "Are you New Zealand's best LOSING punter" as winning punters clearly can't enter.

This will be like a red rag to a bull for Brodie!?

1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

This will be like a red rag to a bull for Brodie!?

Nowornever, so now you clearly should be able to understand what restricted punters are having to put up with.

Anyway, as I say I just can not be bothered with them anymore and I hope they continue to self destruct, until they start playing fair.

I don’t need them, just as they don’t need me!!,

2 hours ago, butcher said:

Surely you have "a friend" that would like to enter? And "your friend" could listen to what you like in each race. 

And if you do not..... would you like to be "my friend"? I'm friendly. And like receiving tips. 

• Haha 3

And because I am such a great guy, and would make a good friend for butcher, I have an idea. I'm also an ideas man (to steal a line from the movie, The Castle). 

Butcher - or any other restricted punter for that matter;

How about posting your tips on this forum for us to follow during a heat of a KPC? 

It would be a bit of a coincidence if one (or two, or three of the BOAY gang) entered a team in a KPC heat, and then followed the tips posted on here during the heat. And then just so happened to take their advice and place a few bets on the suggested horses. 

Let's try and beat the TAB at their own game. 

Anybody up for it? I am sure suitable and mutually beneficial "arrangements" could be made if you know what I mean. And if you dont, go read the greyhound forum. 

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, butcher said:

WTF

Just gets more bizarre by the day. TAB suck.

• Champ Post 1

13 hours ago, Rusty said:

And because I am such a great guy, and would make a good friend for butcher, I have an idea. I'm also an ideas man (to steal a line from the movie, The Castle). 

Butcher - or any other restricted punter for that matter;

How about posting your tips on this forum for us to follow during a heat of a KPC? 

It would be a bit of a coincidence if one (or two, or three of the BOAY gang) entered a team in a KPC heat, and then followed the tips posted on here during the heat. And then just so happened to take their advice and place a few bets on the suggested horses. 

Let's try and beat the TAB at their own game. 

Anybody up for it? I am sure suitable and mutually beneficial "arrangements" could be made if you know what I mean. And if you dont, go read the greyhound forum. 

To be honest you wouldn't want my picks for any of the KPC heats!  99% of my "serious" punting is on Australian gallops, I very occasionally would have a bet on NZ gallops and am pretty sure I've never had a serious bet on a dog in NZ so next weeks heat on the Cambridge greyhounds would be a lottery for me.  

The format of the competition (having to bet on specific races and having to bet a set amount every race) would largely negate any advantage "profitable" punters would have so the fact they are rejecting entries of restricted customers is just another example of the very poor understanding of wagering and bookmaking by certain TAB employees.

Edited by butcher
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

10 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

WTF

Just gets more bizarre by the day. TAB suck.

Used to be a great competition and I entered quite a few of them back in the day.

Tote pools were definitely bigger during the Competition and I thought their main goal was to turn over more money on-course. 

The lower entry fee might help them attract more teams but why couldn't they lower the entry and keep the old format. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

Used to be a great competition and I entered quite a few of them back in the day.

Tote pools were definitely bigger during the Competition and I thought their main goal was to turn over more money on-course. 

The lower entry fee might help them attract more teams but why couldn't they lower the entry and keep the old format. 

So they are trying to encourage betting and find the best punter but the best ones are not allowed in. That confuses me and must alienate the elite punters.

The mix of gallops, greys and trots doesn't appeal.

I thought the entry fee for previous years was a bit steep but that is just me. Always seemed plenty of people entering and I imagine they had a great time coming together and trying to pick winners. 

• Like 2

If I recall correctly, the previous "entry fee", or starting bank required, was $600, but you could have teams of up to 4 individuals. 

Years ago I bailed Richard Bromley (Addington Raceway) up on the issue of a pretty steep entry fee. Asked him why not lessen the fee, to attract a bigger participation rate. He blamed the then, man in charge, Shane Gloury. Said it was all about turnover. 

Taken them almost 10 years to wake up, but then whatdothey do... yip, bugger it up, say final field options only, and introduce bloody greyhound. FFS. Clueless.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The mix of gallops, greys and trots doesn't appeal.

Run a "tote only" same as old format with $200 entry on the harness grass tracks around the South Island on a Sunday and count me in every time.

Edited by Nowornever
  • Champ Post 2

1 minute ago, Rangatira said:

that would seem to open it up to the brodster too

Ranga, I don’t mind a bit of banter!

All the time gets a wee bit tiresome, for me and I would say other participants.

You are quite witty often, but having a crack at the Brodster every post is tedious, stick to the knitting.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone entered into this. I keep forgetting to do it by 2pm previous day, mind you it has saved me some money!!

Heaps have entered this comp, but  i have not really been excited by it. Far better odds of winning it previously, will be interesting to see how many enter final? 10 heats x First 10 finishing = 100 for final?? Cant see anywhere near that amount. 

So no room show day, everybody bets from home or wherever? Addington used to get good turnover this day, not this one. Hardly anyone will turn up. 

2 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Anyone entered into this. I keep forgetting to do it by 2pm previous day, mind you it has saved me some money!!

Heaps have entered this comp, but  i have not really been excited by it. Far better odds of winning it previously, will be interesting to see how many enter final? 10 heats x First 10 finishing = 100 for final?? Cant see anywhere near that amount. 

So no room show day, everybody bets from home or wherever? Addington used to get good turnover this day, not this one. Hardly anyone will turn up. 

My wife had a go last night. Was in the top 10 going into race 9 and had a go on what she thought was the winner of the night in quaestor, but unfortunately it galloped at the 120m mark when it looked like it was going to win. She ended up in 11th.

I think it is harder to win a heat  this year simply because of the number of entries. Instead of having to beat 30-40 you are in a field of 170 odd opponents. Still you've got to be in to win.

Not sure whether the format means you can bet from home in the final on show day,but $5000 is a lot to come up with for most punters anyway,  which is why it suits syndicates. I think the $200 starting funds for the heats is good as it gives the average punter a chance to entter.

Edited by the galah

Yes many that qualify for the final on Show Day are not going to be wanting to cough up with the $5k on a day when the fields tend to be pretty even and some horses won’t backup from Cup Day.

Good way of getting punters who bet from home interested.

Sham that not everyone is allowed to enter!!!!!,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yes many that qualify for the final on Show Day are not going to be wanting to cough up with the $5k on a day when the fields tend to be pretty even and some horses won’t backup from Cup Day.

Good way of getting punters who bet from home interested.

Sham that not everyone is allowed to enter!!!!!,

I think the tab subsidise 'elite' punters in the final 

15 hours ago, the galah said:

My wife had a go last night. Was in the top 10 going into race 9 and had a go on what she thought was the winner of the night in quaestor, but unfortunately it galloped at the 120m mark when it looked like it was going to win. She ended up in 11th.

I think it is harder to win a heat  this year simply because of the number of entries. Instead of having to beat 30-40 you are in a field of 170 odd opponents. Still you've got to be in to win.

Not sure whether the format means you can bet from home in the final on show day,but $5000 is a lot to come up with for most punters anyway,  which is why it suits syndicates. I think the $200 starting funds for the heats is good as it gives the average punter a chance to entter.

Gee, your Mrs was unlucky with that bet. Yes, I agree $200 good point, and agree $5000 is crazy amount for final.