Bit Of A Yarn

2019 Cup Day Entry Fee

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

$45 to walk up to the gate on the day and get a ticket to get in.

That is quite a lot isn't it or I am behind the times?

Plenty will line up no matter what the price is. You only have to  look at the last few decades to see that the place will be chocker as usual on Cup day.

Greg

2 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

then be ten dollars for can of beer

Ten bucks is bad enough, but it really pisses me off when they only allow you to buy 2 beers!!

I do miss the main stand, never sat in it much cup day, but great to look up at a full stand. I give cup day a miss now, crowds piss me off, must be getting old. Stay at home with some mature singles

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

$45 to walk up to the gate on the day and get a ticket to get in.

That is quite a lot isn't it or I am behind the times?

Money grabbing bastards. Would hate to think how much they will sting the poor punter for a seat in the (temporary) "grandstand". I just tried looking it up but one needs to sign up and register just to see how much they wanna rob you. At least a bank robber has the courtesy to say "this is a stick up" before they rob ya. 

The Met won't be getting any of my coin. 

Hope it pisses down from a great height on Cup day. It won't. But I hope it does. 

• Like 1

Just now, Newmarket said:

Ten bucks is bad enough, but it really pisses me off when they only allow you to buy 2 beers!!

I do miss the main stand, never sat in it much cup day, but great to look up at a full stand. I give cup day a miss now, crowds piss me off, must be getting old. Stay at home with some mature singles

Click on an ad.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Money grabbing bastards. Would hate to think how much they will sting the poor punter for a seat in the (temporary) "grandstand". I just tried looking it up but one needs to sign up and register just to see how much they wanna rob you. At least a bank robber has the courtesy to say "this is a stick up" before they rob ya. 

The Met won't be getting any of my coin. 

Hope it pisses down from a great height on Cup day. It won't. But I hope it does. 

I guess it's once a year when NZ met get to make hay, a good place to watch is rose and thistle by Northlands mall in Christchurch, $10 pint and bet...beer and a $4 bet every time you go to the bar, I know when I've been in chch on a Saturday they do that all day, sure they do it on cup day too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I guess it's once a year when NZ met get to make hay, a good place to watch is rose and thistle by Northlands mall in Christchurch, $10 pint and bet...beer and a $4 bet every time you go to the bar, I know when I've been in chch on a Saturday they do that all day, sure they do it on cup day too.

Geez I like that idea but I guess there won't be many fillies around?

$45 seems a helluva price for walk up entry fee, for what you get.

Most that are paying that amount aren’t there to watch much of the racing anyway.

I appreciate that this is a once a year event and it is when the Met make the most money to help out during the next year.

Problem is that they need to capture a percentage of the crowd to become interested in harness racing, and by overcharging on everything is probably not the best way to encourage this!

• Like 4

The Met have lost touch with the everyday, common punter/race goer.

The average punter back in the day paid a reasonable price to get through the gate on Cup day and watched the races from the grandstand. 

Now, they get ripped offed big time with the admission, few years back they couldn't even pay the admission via EFT-POS (was cash only) and they don't even get a seat at the race course. Get ripped off again if they want a beer and a pie. Just about need to remortgage the house. 

It all started to go down hill when they introduced the "painted ladies" competition on Cup day about 15 years ago. Do they have a painted fellas competition as well these days? Inequality and all that. 

Just got out of hand now. Man I sound like a old boring fart. Maybe I am. 

The Met are too try hard and wanna be like the Victoria Racing Club, but the reality of it is, they are polar opposites. 

• Like 1

Cup Day is an experience but an experience that many of the regulars to Addington don’t want to experience, and they stay at home and watch on Trackside.

Personally think that the $45 is a total ripoff as you have difficulty seeing the races due to the many marquees in the middle of the track nowadays.

It is more just a social event for the younger ones to have a few bevies and perv at each other.

The packages always seem to sell out so people pay the money regardless of the price and the Met must make plenty which is good for them.

Anyway we will all have opinions on Cup Day, but hopefully it goes off well this year and the races are shared amongst different stables, rather than the one!!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Rusty said:

It all started to go down hill when they introduced the "painted ladies" competition on Cup day about 15 years ago. Do they have a painted fellas competition as well these days? Inequality and all that. 

there is also no incentive for them to get people on course to have a bet but i suspect they dropped that ball well before that changed

i also struggle to find an incentive to be on course myself

Edited by Rangatira
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

Purchased General Admission tickets yesterday for a giveaway at work and they were $25 which I felt was a reasonable price considering its roughly six hours of entertainment. 

Matches up pretty well to going to a Super Rugby match next door.

Good work. Think they go up in price closer to the event to $35 for a period of time, before the pre-sale period ends. It's a good incentive to get in early for the people that want to see and be seen. 

42 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

Purchased General Admission tickets yesterday for a giveaway at work and they were $25 which I felt was a reasonable price considering its roughly six hours of entertainment. 

Fair enough. It is an event rather than a race day. The racing is secondary.

I think it just turns off the person who has some genuine interest in racing from attending. 

Each to their own. ?

• Like 3