Bit Of A Yarn

2019 Cup Day Entry Fee

4 hours ago, Counter Punch said:

Purchased General Admission tickets yesterday for a giveaway at work and they were $25 which I felt was a reasonable price considering its roughly six hours of entertainment. 

Matches up pretty well to going to a Super Rugby match next door.

Fair enough $25 but why do they hike it to $45,??

What do you really get for the $25 or $45?

You pay for everything food and drinks wise and that isn’t cheap.

You queue up for everything and general admittance you have a helluva hard job watching the races with the things in the middle blocking viewing.

Yes there is atmosphere to a certain degree but is this really value for money?

The small number of regulars or semi regulars don’t like the day and obviously their prerogative to boycott the course for the day.

Just would,be great if the day could induce some at least to come back a few times during the year!

Edited by Brodie

That's the problem here, Brodie. Or at least the perceived problem. 

This group of regulars that you speak of don't go to a day. Yet more than 20,000 other people come instead and are prepared to pay money to do so. 

Logic would suggest that with Cup Day crowds remaining strong, Addington is doing something right in terms of the day. 

It's a shame that the day doesn't suit some of the purists, it really is. But similarly I know of a large number of those very same people kind of people who flock to Cup Day for the occasion that it is. 

I have a group of friends who are now regular race goers because of Cup Day experiences. 

14 hours ago, Counter Punch said:

That's the problem here, Brodie. Or at least the perceived problem. 

This group of regulars that you speak of don't go to a day. Yet more than 20,000 other people come instead and are prepared to pay money to do so. 

Logic would suggest that with Cup Day crowds remaining strong, Addington is doing something right in terms of the day. 

It's a shame that the day doesn't suit some of the purists, it really is. But similarly I know of a large number of those very same people kind of people who flock to Cup Day for the occasion that it is. 

I have a group of friends who are now regular race goers because of Cup Day experiences. 

Cup week in Christchurch is popular with a lot of people and hopefully it will always remain strong.

Yes there are plenty of people,that pay the $45 on walk up rather than early possibly just to ensure that the weather is good, and yes it always is.

Great that you have introduced friends to racemeetings, but to be fair you probably would’ve anyway without Cup Day.

$45 is not a lot out of my weekly budget, However I still believe that amount is too much for entry to the course to spend money.

If the entry fee was less the club would probably get it back anyway thru punting and food etc.

The Met can charge what they like for the once a year event and clearly people pay it, my concern is for industry going forward as it needs to entice newbies into the sport year round CP!

• Like 1

We used to have great supporting races on cup day, but now fields, stakes are piss poor. 

Thats why they like having a big crowd that doesnt follow harness. 

Put on a band, fashion show etc, and they have the crowds. 

Sadly, the ones that follow harness all year, are declining. 

Lets see what happens in the future, maybe cup day wont be so cool, who will go then?

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Counter Punch said:

Purchased General Admission tickets yesterday for a giveaway at work and they were $25 which I felt was a reasonable price considering its roughly six hours of entertainment. 

Matches up pretty well to going to a Super Rugby match next door.

Good points CP. For those who dont want to pay 45 on the day these are the options

2019 General Admission Ticket Prices:

• Earlybird (2 September to 31 October) – $25 per person + booking fee
  • Standard (1 to 12 November) – $35 per person + booking fee
  • At the gate (12 November) – $45 per person (cash only)

Greg

• Champ Post 1

"Booking fee" - yet another rip off. 

Agreed, $25 is a cheap day out. Money and it's purchasing power today is nowhere near where it once was on time gone by. 

The number of racing purists that would want to pay $25/$45 for a day out at Addington on Cup Day, with it's CURRENT facilities and experience on offer, is in decline. 

The fat cats in suits need not forget who their core customers are, and do their best to cater for them. They also need to move with the times and not be stuck in the 80's like most racing clubs.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, all of the packages are a blatant rip off, we all know that.

$75 for the Lindauer Lawn lol

What do you get for that?

Entry and an area on the grass where you can barely see the racing apart from on the big screen TV.

You can not see the backstraight and you can barely see them coming down the home straight head on.

Look, it is a one off day once a year that people go to, just like the Melbourne Cup where I am sure you get ripped off there as well.

Is it over priced, yeah it is, but if you want to go, then “ Let’s Do This”.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Good points CP. For those who dont want to pay 45 on the day these are the options

2019 General Admission Ticket Prices:

• Earlybird (2 September to 31 October) – $25 per person + booking fee
  • Standard (1 to 12 November) – $35 per person + booking fee
  • At the gate (12 November) – $45 per person (cash only)

Greg

do owners get in for free on cup day???

• Like 1

I don't think it's too bad, considering most pubs with a tab up my way on Melbourne cup day have a "Melbourne cup function" which they normally charge $50 plus for!.....but the NZ met should have a system whereby the regular punters who go along every Friday night are rewarded with a free cup day pass for Their loyalty,

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I don't think it's too bad, considering most pubs with a tab up my way on Melbourne cup day have a "Melbourne cup function" which they normally charge $50 plus for!.....but the NZ met should have a system whereby the regular punters who go along every Friday night are rewarded with a free cup day pass for Their loyalty,

Champion idea.

3 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

but the NZ met should have a system whereby the regular punters who go along every Friday night are rewarded with a free cup day pass for Their loyalty,

suggested this with multiple benefits to ed ward in a previous millennium when they were better rewarded for on course turnover

Edited by Rangatira
  • Like 1