Bit Of A Yarn

exports

I see there are no geldings,just mares and colts and stallions.  There was a lot of talk a couple of years ago about setting up racing over there. I wonder how it progressed.

I wonder what  actually happens to them. Does anyone even care.

Hopefully they don't end up in one of those horse blood farms you read about. Apparently blood extracted from pregnant mares kept continuously pregnant, contains a hormone that is used to produce a vet drug which is used to artificially induce going into heat weaned sows so they will have faster reproduction.  Apparently its a multi billion dollar industry..     Its been in the news recently about African swine flu wiping out 1/3 of chinas pig population. China produces as much pork as all other countries in the world combined.There has been a big push from the Chinese government to get there producers to breed more as a result. Apparantly that's helping boost nz beef farmers prices .

Hows that for a conspiracy theory?  

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, the galah said:

I see there are no geldings,just mares and colts and stallions.  There was a lot of talk a couple of years ago about setting up racing over there. I wonder how it progressed.

I wonder what  actually happens to them. Does anyone even care.

Hopefully they don't end up in one of those horse blood farms you read about. Apparently blood extracted from pregnant mares kept continuously pregnant, contains a hormone that is used to produce a vet drug which is used to artificially induce going into heat weaned sows so they will have faster reproduction.  Apparently its a multi billion dollar industry..     Its been in the news recently about African swine flu wiping out 1/3 of chinas pig population. China produces as much pork as all other countries in the world combined.There has been a big push from the Chinese government to get there producers to breed more as a result. Apparantly that's helping boost nz beef farmers prices .

Hows that for a conspiracy theory?  

Last place I would sell a poor animal to, pretty bleak future for them 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

23 standardbreds exported to china so MR WOLF been very busy buying our horses

That shipment left in March and was not purchased by Mr Wolf. However he has purchased over 230 standardbreds from NZ between 2012 and 2018.
They race under saddle, in hopples. Well looked after at a pristine, new farm and facility. Only issue is it is freezing cold in winter and steaming hot in summer. Its a huge show of wealth to own a horse in China and Wolf's business model is to source and import in bulk, then sell them for a profit and, I assume, provide the facilities for them to be looked after and/or trained. They only buy colts and fillies/mares because they want to breed their own.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jonny Longshot said:

That shipment left in March and was not purchased by Mr Wolf. However he has purchased over 230 standardbreds from NZ between 2012 and 2018.
They race under saddle, in hopples. Well looked after at a pristine, new farm and facility. Only issue is it is freezing cold in winter and steaming hot in summer. Its a huge show of wealth to own a horse in China and Wolf's business model is to source and import in bulk, then sell them for a profit and, I assume, provide the facilities for them to be looked after and/or trained. They only buy colts and fillies/mares because they want to breed their own.  

Johny on HRNZ they are saying the horses got exported on 3.9.2019 

hunter, I can guarantee you that is solely due to a delay in paperwork not being provided to HRNZ in a timely manner. Every single horse on that list that raced, you will note, has not done so since 2018. There was actually 30 that went but half a dozen of them were unregistered. All a moot point, really. Its a great avenue for the Courts to sell horse - they have fostered a strong relationship with the chinese.

• Champ Post 1

10 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Jeepers, I remember when they slaughtered 600 thoroughbreds in 2005 when things went tits up for racing over there, and what ever became of the trotters we sent to Macau in the 80's? I know the 100's of Aussie greyhounds sent over there didn't fare very well either when that all fell apart...

Those thoroughbreds had to be "put to sleep" largely because of the communist government's anti-gambling stance on horse racing. Love horses, but not the gambling side of it.

Rumour has it they wanted all racehorses to wear the number 8 saddle cloth in every race. Was never going to work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonny Longshot said:

Good to hear they will be well looked after.  Lets hope it continues. I guess they don't invest as much as they have in their set up just to help breed pigs.

As to my conspiracy theory.

Well if it does all turn to custard. Inner Mongolia,where they are,is one of  the northern provinces which has seen huge investment in setting up new pig farms by public companies in the last 2 or 3 years. Partly because of being so sparsely populated due to the climate.   

Or... Horsemeat is considered a delicacy in many countires,especially china where there is great demand.. I suppose not too different than sending them off for pet food like happens here to the unfortunate ones..

Edited by the galah

I have to admit I am a bit intrigued by this story,  

You've got a self made Chinese billionaire with a passion for horses, who has a couple of wolves for pets,being the driving force behind the purchase of a lot of nz horses who are shipped halfway round the world,

it seems they end up in some racing complex and huge farm where some of them are trained to compete. Apparently part of the reason they end up in Inner Mongolia was because that government subsidized some of the setup and there is hope of providing a gambling product in the future,in a country where gambling is illegal. 

And most of  this is happening in a part of china which has extreme weather in parts of the year. 

I would like to see a trackside presenter sent to Inner Mongolia to do an in depth story.

I think Mick Guerin would the ideal man to send to Inner Mongolia.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

FTM, JJ, Newmarket RC......all of them could go but you would only need to buy one ticket....

Still fixating about who i am . Your wrong as usual on this one  but you just cant tell people things when their brains are elsewhere , keep it up though if it makes you really happy?

JJ oops Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

18 hours ago, Rusty said:

Those thoroughbreds had to be "put to sleep" largely because of the communist government's anti-gambling stance on horse racing. Love horses, but not the gambling side of it.

Rumour has it they wanted all racehorses to wear the number 8 saddle cloth in every race. Was never going to work. 

At   Least you would be able to back the winner if you could get on

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 3