Bit Of A Yarn

Yeah - AllStars 100% wins!,,

Brodie

What did I miss last night at Addington?

Not a lot by the look of it!

Just got back from a long day and looked up the results from Addington last night.

Yeah, the AllStars won 4 from 4 last night, and such massive divs once again.

Great to see and surely a sign of things to come!

Harness Racing is seriously in decline going forward!

Yes I know, you have heard it all before, but if you don’t want to believe the truth then don’t bother reading.

The Darkside has been commenting about the decline in betting turnover and very poor stakes!

You can blame the NZ TAB for the declining turnover!!!!!

So many now just can not be bothered having a go for measly returns and being treated like a criminal money launderer!

TABs loss!

They need a total overhaul to improve things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Just got back from a long day and looked up the results from Addington last night.

Yes I know, you have heard it all before, but if you don’t want to believe the truth then don’t bother reading.

The Darkside has been commenting about the decline in betting turnover and very poor stakes!

So many now just can not be bothered having a go for measly returns and being treated like a criminal money launderer!

TABs loss!

Love your consistency Brodie, nearly as good as All Stars.

Sundees Sun was superb given the way he won and time recorded. Be good to see some of the other top trotters reappear to make things a touch more interesting in the future

Greg

Greg

• Like 1

Good on the all stars for winning. They will be dominant until cup day and then they might back off a little in numbers.

Great for the multi makers and that type who are willing to splash a lot of money on the short odds.

But I was at the pub last night with mates. They sometimes bet but are always keen to blow 50 -100 each when we get together. They went to look at the fields and saw the super shorties in there early on and were unimpressed. They had a bet on ghostwriter's race and then totally forgot about betting despite watching the Addington races when on. Auckland didn't even exist, let alone betting there. If they had kept going the turnover of that lot would have got progressively bigger.

Does it matter? Probably not. 

I suppose I could have suggested a big multi but that is not much fun or profitable.

Same old same old so roll on methven.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Sundees Sun was superb given the way he won and time recorded. Be good to see some of the other top trotters reappear to make things a touch more interesting in the future

Greg

Greg

Yes, when your favourite all stars get their trotters out it will make it interesting.

No one is as consistent as you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

Greg

its wonder your not wanking on about fixed odds they paid last night greg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Brodie said:

TABs loss!

Groundhog Day.jpg

• Haha 2

There have been so many short priced favorites winning everywhere lately.   

Its not just the all stars. Last week at winton they had 5 races in a row with the biggest dividend being $2.40. 

Then you get the whale giving out 3 every meeting with 90% of them paying under $2.  I know he has a following and is a good selector but  all you have to do is look at the tote and you could come up with the same tips.  I see he did tip chase Auckland last night at $8, which was  a big outsider by his normal standards. 

We don't have much idea of how these short priced favorites are effecting turnover as the betting figures seem to be a secret,i guess because they don't want the public knowing how poor they are.

I find the southland approach to their maiden stakes interesting.  They seem to want to attract Canterbury raiders to take the cash off the locals and to stifle the betting. I can't work that one out myself.  Personally I think its a rather stupid strategy. 

Like it or not,what brodie says about the betting odds of the top 5 or 6 stables  and how they dominate results, is a big turn off to the average punter, and is a major factor in turnover declining in my opinion. 

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

There have been so many short priced favorites winning everywhere lately.   

Its not just the all stars. Last week at winton they had 5 races in a row with the biggest dividend being $2.40. 

Then you get the whale giving out 3 every meeting with 90% of them paying under $2.  I know he has a following and is a good selector but  all you have to do is look at the tote and you could come up with the same tips.  I see he did tip chase Auckland last night at $8, which was  a big outsider by his normal standards. 

We don't have much idea of how these short priced favorites are effecting turnover as the betting figures seem to be a secret,i guess because they don't want the public knowing how poor they are.

I find the southland approach to their maiden stakes interesting.  They seem to want to attract Canterbury raiders to take the cash off the locals and to stifle the betting. I can't work that one out myself.  Personally I think its a rather stupid strategy. 

Like it or not,what brodie says about the betting odds of the top 5 or 6 stables  and how they dominate results, is a big turn off to the average punter, and is a major factor in turnover declining in my opinion. 

The Southern club's have always said that when Canterbury trainers go down betting increases markedly.I think that because you then get better drivers down there which gives punters more confidence.

That just my opinion.

People like Brodie have been saying for years that things like Purdon and Dunn dominance will finish harness racing yet the increase of turnover on Friday night says otherwise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Yes, when your favourite all stars get their trotters out it will make it interesting.

No one is as consistent as you.

I was actually referring to Williamson,Ford and Hope. Not sure anything Purdon's have could match Dunn's trotter last night but time will tell.

Like you said above well done to AS  for their performance but im not one to think they are that good for the game overall, are you ok with me saying that

Greg

6 minutes ago, Richie said:

The Southern club's have always said that when Canterbury trainers go down betting increases markedly.I think that because you then get better drivers down there which gives punters more confidence.

That just my opinion.

People like Brodie have been saying for years that things like Purdon and Dunn dominance will finish harness racing yet the increase of turnover on Friday night says otherwise.

I think it's more the lack of quality Pacers coming through the ranks from the other stables Richie, not too many want to take on 3+ Purdon horses in every big race, more money to make selling the good ones O/swhich is a real shame.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Richie said:

That just my opinion.

I agree the better Canterbury drivers attract the punters, however they turn up anyway..  That's how they make their living.

Claiming having greater numbers(including Canterbury horses), increases turnover makes sense, but saying red hot favorites from Canterbury increases turnover makes no sense.

Where do you get the increased turnover on Friday night from? Where's the facts and figures to back that one up?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

I was actually referring to Williamson,Ford and Hope. Not sure anything Purdon's have could match Dunn's trotter last night but time will tell.

Like you said above well done to AS  for their performance but im not one to think they are that good for the game overall, are you ok with me saying that

Greg

your changed your tune 

• Champ Post 2

1 minute ago, the galah said:

I agree the better Canterbury drivers attract the punters, however they turn up anyway..  That's how they make their living.

Claiming having greater numbers(including Canterbury horses), increases turnover makes sense, but saying red hot favorites from Canterbury increases turnover makes no sense.

Might you accept that these days the big punters who love short priced favs contribute most of the turnover and are thus inclined to bet larger ammounts.

Greg

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Might you accept that these days the big punters who love short priced favs contribute most of the turnover and are thus inclined to bet larger ammounts.

Greg

That may be the case, for some,but it would have to be on fixed odds and as brodie keeps telling us, the tab only take bigger bets from punters who tend to lose overall.  And punters who bet in large amounts and lose consistently tend not to last. 

If you look at the tote pools it certainly is not going on there.. 

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1