Bit Of A Yarn

Tony Lee lost it?

Ashley

The Gold Trail call was a real foot on his mouth.  it was obviously a lot closer than wat he thought and the look on Matt camerons face when he heard the judge said it all.  he had obviouls heard TLee calling bavella first.

he sounds like an old man these days and is calling like one as well.

48 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The Gold Trail call was a real foot on his mouth.  it was obviously a lot closer than wat he thought and the look on Matt camerons face when he heard the judge said it all.  he had obviouls heard TLee calling bavella first.

maybe the poorest last 200m commentator ever

49 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Would you rather listen tp George "I just love myself" Simon even more often?  I actually backed Aretha myself and thought it ran second until I saw the first low down camera shot.  T Lee is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 2

On 22/09/2019 at 8:51 AM, boobybec said:

Would you rather listen tp George "I just love myself" Simon even more often?  I actually backed Aretha myself and thought it ran second until I saw the first low down camera shot.  T Lee is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good

T Lee certainly didnt have the best of days on Sat ..in one race they'd gone 200m and he hadnt mentioned more than one horse's name, too busy telling us who the frikkin tote/bookie odds were (and stuffed that up)... as for the 'previews' with Sweeney ...embarrassingly light on detail,  just compare how they do it in Oz. 

come on now, T Lee...FOCUS on us mug punters .all we want to know who is where and how they're travellin' with how far to go...forget the sideshows.

• Champ Post 1

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 8:51 AM, boobybec said:

Would you rather listen tp George "I just love myself" Simon even more often? 

yes definitely.   at least he doesn't scream like T Lee does and is funny.  T Lee has the sense of homour of a funeral director.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2019 at 6:32 PM, Kopia said:

I quite like his race calls. However I would rather he called from the front at the start of races..invariably he says ''so and so has gone back, this ones gone back, that ones gone back'...surely the horses that make good starts are more relevant?

there's method to that 'madness' ..obvious slow starters are easier to spot and talking about em first gives the caller time to let the quicker mob sort their positions out.

• Champ Post 1

I like to hear about every horse.  Because I listen to a lot of races on the radio while I am outside (sometimes with my own horses).  I also like to hear about the breeding of the place-getters.  But I do understand there are time constraints and in the rush to catch them jumping at the Dapto Dogs, Woolloomooroo trots or the Tullamarine Toad Jumping  - there might not be time.     

Edited by jess
  • Like 2

On 26/09/2019 at 4:59 PM, Freda said:

It matters if the seventh horse is yours.

Correct. I live in the Nth and my horses run in the South, so hang on every word from the commentator as I can not cannot get to meetings. 

As for Booby Becs , George " I love my self "Simon. Ever met the guy Bob. He is the loveliest bloke and the most  hospitable and funny guy one could meet.

Cant wait to hear one of your Racecalls,  Bob

On 1/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, globederby12 said:

Correct. I live in the Nth and my horses run in the South, so hang on every word from the commentator as I can not cannot get to meetings. 

As for Booby Becs , George " I love my self "Simon. Ever met the guy Bob. He is the loveliest bloke and the most  hospitable and funny guy one could meet.

Most of those racecallers are very very nice blokes in my opinion.  I've met a few and yet to meet one I didn't like.  Seems to be an occupation that attracts good blokes

• Like 1

I agree that most racecallers are bloody good chaps ...but that's not the point...the point is, that they have a job to do to assist the punter/owner/trainer/fans of all the horses they are calling. Stick to the basics and don't get sidetracked with all the fluffy irrelevant nonsense. At Waverley today, a field of about 12 maideners had gone 300m and he'd only managed to call a handful of horses' names ..

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Weasel said:

I agree that most racecallers are bloody good chaps ...but that's not the point...the point is, that they have a job to do to assist the punter/owner/trainer/fans of all the horses they are calling. Stick to the basics and don't get sidetracked with all the fluffy irrelevant nonsense. At Waverley today, a field of about 12 maideners had gone 300m and he'd only managed to call a handful of horses' names ..

Well ring him up and give him the sack then Weasel, but have plan B ready. One can still strike a straight blow with a crooked stick. Good onya George.

On 1/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, globederby12 said:

He doesnt come across that way, but hey.  Has a female ever commentated a race in nz?

I don't disagree with some of the observations here but I guess I don't find them bad enough to burst into print here and complain about the guy.  I like the quality of his voice and most things about his calls.

I am not a big fan though of the wee segment they seem to do now where he talks to the Trackside host as the horses parade pre-race and comments on each runner.  It reminds me of the old txt msgs - maybe he only has 160 characters (or 15 seconds more like it) to comment.  It's the format rather than Tony that is the issue but I find there's not usually anything very insightful beyond what you can observe for yourself.  Maybe they should just let the guy use the time to prepare for the call & suck on a soothing lozenge (or should I say sneak another durrie if he hasn't given that up yet ?). 

All the best to you T Lee - I haven't got anything racing just now but would be happy for you to call mine.  Just make sure you do cover the back half of the field though - I live in hope but mine have been known in the past to occupy those positions in a number of races ...and if you don't call their name, I'll be worried sick that they've broken down at the 600.

J.      

Edited by jess
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2019 at 6:15 PM, boobybec said:

He doesnt come across that way, but hey.  Has a female ever commentated a race in nz?

Maryanne Twentyman(nee O'Donnell) actually commentated(I think) the last thoroughbred race of the last century at Stratford.  It was about the fourth race of the day and I am sure they abandoned them straight afterwards.  Her father was Jack O'Donnell who was a great racecaller on the Coast, Nelson, Marlborough and the Lower North Island of the sixties, seventies and early eighties.  Jack could really sing in a commentary is the way of the old days(versus the slower more deliberate style now).  He really forced Reon to Christchurch as he was the West Coast caller of the day and Reon wasn't getting a look in.  there would have been upwards of twenty racedays a season on the Coast in those times plus five or six galloping meeting in Nelson Marlborough - bit different now!

• Like 3