Bit Of A Yarn

The First of Many?

bigsir

The Westland Racing Club has sold its Course to the Westland District Council and also given a substantial sum to allow the Council to develop it.

That's one that won't be contributing to Winston and Messara's fantasy new world.

https://www.westlanddc.govt.nz/sites/default/files/12.12.19 - Report to Council - Westland Racing Club Purchase of Land.pdf

• Like 1

Good on them.  But that is also very sad.  The Hokitika race course was my first introduction to racing from about age 4.  In later years I used to use it as a training track for harriers.  As kids we used to catch crawlies in the creek that ran down the side of the back straight.

I remember the days it had the tote bell ringing, an actual balloon that went up on the semaphore board.  The tote dividends displayed on the tote with ribbons they used to pull up and down to show the odds.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

tick....

a simple sensible approach! they have set the standard!

They have got in before the legislation has passed.  Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it had been passed.

LOL Saundry has got it wrong dragging race dates BEFORE they have the power to land grab.  Wouldn't be surprised if other clubs sign similar contracts while they can without fear of litigation.

With regard to that I hope the Westland Racing Club have followed a water tight process.

They have got in before the legislation has passed.  Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it had been passed.

LOL Saundry has got it wrong dragging race dates BEFORE they have the power to land grab.  Wouldn't be surprised if other clubs sign similar contracts while they can without fear of litigation.

With regard to that I hope the Westland Racing Club have followed a water tight process.

Saundry got a lot wrong, google him, his tenure in NZ will be long remembered, NOT.

Great move by the WRC. If the shysters in Wellington had got their greedy hands on it, it would of been sold to developers and probably become houses. And the developers would probably been mates of mates. Hats off to the Club members for putting their community first, a shinning example for other Clubs.

On 13/12/2019 at 10:07 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Not sure it makes any difference as the bill stands. Perhaps a legal brain here would comment. It's only on dissolution of the club that there is a mandatory transfer of assets to the codes isn't it? If the venue becomes surplus for racing needs it may be transferred but any order to do so is subject to consideration of use by other codes and other community organisations. And while the club remains operational the members can do what they want with assets unless they have made an agreement to the contrary with the code body which can't be rescinded. That's my take anyway.

Edited by curious

6 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I mentioned militant action, well, although not quite, if all clubs followed WRC and invoked this mantra, things wouldn't look good for the Petone stooges now would it......how wonderful.

Yes, transfer to a council or even a separate entity such as a trust would potentially nullify the effect of that part of the legislation wouldn't it?

Yes, transfer to a council or even a separate entity such as a trust would potentially nullify the effect of that part of the legislation wouldn't it?

Absolutely, why there are no legal eagles with 'links' to grassroots racing doing pro-bono on this amazes me......or do they not give a tuppeny either?

On 13/12/2019 at 10:07 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Saundry quite simply needs to move back (return ASAP) to Australia and relinquish his $250K salary. 
Bernard, please tell us why I am wrong or why you have something to offer and should stay!
On the other side, talking about other highflier’s of the trans-Tasman variety I guess Sir Ron Brierley is also on a one way trip back across the Tasman, sooner or later. 
Just saying ?

I'm no apologist for Saundry - but the notion that closing tracks would somehow bring us back from the brink has been the idea beloved of Allan Jackson for ages,  long before Saundry appeared.   Even Purcell went on record as stating ' we will NOT forcibly close tracks,  but will work with clubs and support them if they wish to relocate.'.....or words to that effect...so Jackson's wish didn't get much traction at that point.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I'm no apologist for Saundry - but the notion that closing tracks would somehow bring us back from the brink has been the idea beloved of Allan Jackson for ages,  long before Saundry appeared.   Even Purcell went on record as stating ' we will NOT forcibly close tracks,  but will work with clubs and support them if they wish to relocate.'.....or words to that effect...so Jackson's wish didn't get much traction at that point.

The policies that Peters is trying to put in place are straight out of the Communist manifesto. Take property for the state and sell it, then keep the proceeds? We've been through this before, but doesn't the plan sound familiar? It reminds me of the story of the sinking of the titanic...no, not the 'deckchairs while the band plays on' bit. The bit where people are drowning after the ship went down and they try to clutch at a piece of flotsam floating past them...keeps them afloat for a few minutes more but the end result is the same.

• Champ Post 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Kopia said:

The policies that Peters is trying to put in place are straight out of the Communist manifesto. Take property for the state and sell it, then keep the proceeds? We've been through this before, but doesn't the plan sound familiar? It reminds me of the story of the sinking of the titanic...no, not the 'deckchairs while the band plays on' bit. The bit where people are drowning after the ship went down and they try to clutch at a piece of flotsam floating past them...keeps them afloat for a few minutes more but the end result is the same.

as opposed to the crony capitalist manifesto...that takes state owned assets and converts them to private ownership at bargain basement prices.

Check out high country pastoral leases and the chicanery ...there!?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dark Beau said:

Saundry quite simply needs to move back (return ASAP) to Australia and relinquish his $250K salary. 
Bernard, please tell us why I am wrong or why you have something to offer and should stay!
On the other side, talking about other highflier’s of the trans-Tasman variety I guess Sir Ron Brierley is also on a one way trip back across the Tasman, sooner or later. 
Just saying ?

Reprobate Ronnie will not be returning in handcuffs on 'Con air'...he's a fair dinkum 'aussie' these days..thank God!