Bit Of A Yarn

Coronavirus: TAB consults on plan to cut 30 per cent of jobs

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Brilliant work if carried out to the full. Everyone wanted costs cut at NZRB and now RITA are carrying out those wishes. As they say "you reap what you sow" .

Bring on the moaners now that costs have been cut. You cant have it both ways and those that think so are the biggest clowns on the planet.

I'm sure ,Chief,Curious and Rod will have lots to say , contrarians are like that

Greg

You refuse to get it don't you.  Aside from the CEO/Chairman the Board and top management are largely the same.  Especially those who pushed the betting and broadcast investment decisions.  They just changed the name NZRB to RITA.

So do you think Mackenzie decided on a case by case basis who got the chop?

Plus it's taken nearly a year for this supposedly new board and top management (It isn't new) to make changes.  Instead they continued with the old decisions.

Would they have continued along the same route as before if it hadn't been for Covid-19?  Well all the signs are they would have.  

If I was the Minister or in Cabinet I would be querying why they put their hands out for the Covid-19 subsidy when it was clearly apparent that they were insolvent and living beyond their means.  Oh I just remembered isn't the latter just what Hon Peters said a few days ago?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Brilliant work if carried out to the full. Everyone wanted costs cut at NZRB and now RITA are carrying out those wishes. As they say "you reap what you sow" .

Bring on the moaners now that costs have been cut. You cant have it both ways and those that think so are the biggest clowns on the planet.

I'm sure ,Chief,Curious and Rod will have lots to say , contrarians are like that

Greg

It's a start. Not sure it's in the right place, but thumbs up for the initiative. Bit like using voluntary redundancy. What tends to happen is people leave, take the money but often they are best people from the areas that they are needed. I'd like to see something more thought out and targeted. Same with voluntary leave without pay. Not a real more than temporary cut. Hopefully this is a sign of real cuts to come.

What we need to see though is some sign of initiatives that increase net revenue. This will possibly reduce it. There's nothing on the table to do that which I can see. Hope that will emerge shortly.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

Don't hold your breath Curious.

Logic doesn't prevail much these days.  After all Nanny Jacinda says it's alright to go to school, a cafe, the movies, a restaurant, a shopping mall but going to a pub poses too much of a risk.

Or you can book a restaurant for 10 people but not 12.  Well that's easy if your party is 16 just get 4 in the party to book for 4 tables of 4.

Go figure!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Aside from the CEO/Chairman the Board and top management are largely the same.  Especially those who pushed the betting and broadcast investment decisions

Look to help you out once again and hopefully the last time. NZRB have had numerous CEOs and a variety of Board personal over the last decade. 

RITA is completely different both from a governance and operational point of view. They have a completely new board and have waved goodbye to the previous board,CEO and CFO.

For you to say they are largely the same does you no credit. Further new leadership and board direction cannot undo or cancel  previous contracts made by incompetent predecessors. For decades NZRB has suffered from overindulgent spending without the concurrent rise in income. The new board has taken the axe to costs and im sure they are not only Employee ones. The passage of time will see which one of us is correct on that issue

The current 30% downsizing is probably just the beginning and will no doubt include some of  those you refer to above. i.e The management team that RITA inherited

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Would they have continued along the same route as before if it hadn't been for Covid-19?  Well all the signs are they would have

Thats pure speculation on your part and if i was to take your approach i would ask you to give us evidence to back up your point. Dont worry i wont embarrass you as you make up enough stuff as it is IMHO

If your really up with the play how did WP get on in Cabinet yesterday when he  presented Racing act changes for consideration??. That to me is of more interest than your constant attacks on RITAs actions

Greg

11 hours ago, curious said:

It's a start. Not sure it's in the right place, but thumbs up for the initiative.

Very good Curious but im sure its just the beginning. I'm picking there are some very nervous people out there at the top table

Greg

• Like 2

Greg

Where is the logic in removing racing from radio? 

This is just another example of racing shooting itself in the foot. Loss of Freeview, newspaper coverage and now radio. Doesn't the industry want to engage with the public or want to promote racing in order to attract people? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Greg

This is just another example of racing shooting itself in the foot. Loss of Freeview, newspaper coverage and now radio. Doesn't the industry want to engage with the public or want to promote racing in order to attract people? 

Can't imagine they would save anything significant from removing radio.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Don't hold your breath Curious.

Logic doesn't prevail much these days.  After all Nanny Jacinda says it's alright to go to school, a cafe, the movies, a restaurant, a shopping mall but going to a pub poses too much of a risk.

Or you can book a restaurant for 10 people but not 12.  Well that's easy if your party is 16 just get 4 in the party to book for 4 tables of 4.

Go figure!

Why do you insert biased political opinion into a topic like this?

17 hours ago, All The Aces said:

Standard dumb prick behaviour.  Right things need a shakeup.  We need to get rid of some staff.  Lets pick the personalities that people actually realte to, want to hear from and those on the shop front of exposure to the fans(ie the Tony Lee's, the Dave MacDonalds and the presenters(who despite what a lot of people say are doing their best)).   Ditto the Radio Trackside where people on the move keep up with their racing and where talkback and phone in's actually give the punters the fill in if they don't want to listen to the second leg from Kazakstan. Don't worry about the deadwood around the pie warmer we need them.

Same applied when it came  to the courses - pick the ones where people have traditionally wanted to actually attend and  shut them down.

The very last thing we want is the people exposed to the personalities they like and the places they like to go to the races.

Then there is the stakeholders(the trainers and owners who provide the product) - screw the crap out of them while the fat cats in Head Office live off the fat of the land.

McKenzie has proven just as useless as everyone he succeeded in the CEO role.

About time the bugle man got practicing the last post isn't it?

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 2

43 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Because there is a corollary with what is happening with racing.  Dumb decisions and rules are being made based on poor assumptions derived from bad analysis of bad data.

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Because there is a corollary with what is happening with racing.  Dumb decisions and rules are being made based on poor assumptions derived from bad analysis of bad data.

Perhaps you could educate us as to...correct decisions and rules made based on sound assumptions derived from good analysis of good data.

Very interested.Thx in advance.

9 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

For you to say they are largely the same does you no credit. Further new leadership and board direction cannot undo or cancel  previous contracts made by incompetent predecessors. For decades NZRB has suffered from overindulgent spending without the concurrent rise in income.

Top drawer management will "undo or cancel  previous contracts made by incompetent predecessors".  It isn't that hard.  You send a message to all your vendors and tell them all contracts are being revisited.  You even make that message public.

Now you will say that there are penalties for breaking contracts.  On paper yes but in reality they rarely get enforced.  What if you as one of your vendors largest customers said "Look we are in the financial pooh and some of the decisions made by the previous crew no longer align with our direction.  Basically we are at the point where you get SFA of nothing or you help us turn this around."

Now the Operating Expenses for Technology and Communications increased by 30% between 2018 and 2019.  From $20m to $26m.  The "Managed Services" component of that rose by 34% from $13m to $17m.  Managed Services will be outsourced IT services.  The main vendor for that is SPARK (Telecom).  I'm picking the increase in costs was the strategic decision to go down the High Definition "Rolls Royce" broadcasting path and the roll out of the supporting high speed and very expensive network to support it.

Time to revisit that decision.  The worst thing you can do when managing a business is to continue on with the wrong decision because you think you are committed to it.  Cut your losses ASAP.

Thats pure speculation on your part and if i was to take your approach i would ask you to give us evidence to back up your point. Dont worry i wont embarrass you as you make up enough stuff as it is IMHO

I don't make stuff up as you put it.  Read the NEW Boards Statement of Intent which I loaded onto BOAY this morning.  They state quite clearly the opposite of what they are being forced to do now.  

If your really up with the play how did WP get on in Cabinet yesterday when he  presented Racing act changes for consideration??

I'm not "up with play" as you put it if that means do I have the "inside sources" that YOU keep referring to when you post.

I don't have much confidence in Winston Peters at all.  The Government bailing out the Industry is the last thing it needs.  As for Racefields Legislation that is a waste of time - always has been.  As I posted elsewhere on BOAY the most I would accept and expect from Government is for them to guarantee any loans they might be able to place  in the commercial banking market.

IF Peters pushes the acquisition of club assets then he is a complete charlatan without any economic principles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tote windows on-course will be going being replaced with self service terminals or digital betting only.

Closure of some retail agencies.

TV will have fewer presenters with no dedicated racing shows with the exception of a no frills betting show for weekend racing.

No phonebet channels.

If I understand Winston correctly it looks as if they will introduce to ring fence and stop betting with overseas agencies. ( can someone give Mardigras aka Kim a lift to the airport. ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, All The Aces said:

Greg

I'm only taking a stab here but RITA may well have done a cost/benefit analysis and concluded that it was no longer viable given the number of staff required on top of operational costs but im sure someone will no better

Greg

8 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don''t have much confidence in Winston Peters at all.  The Government bailing out the Industry is the last thing it needs.  As for Racefields Legislation that is a waste of time - always has been.  As I posted elsewhere on BOAY the most I would accept and expect from Government is for them to guarantee any loans they might be able to place  in the commercial banking market.

When you say"the government bailing out the industry is the last thing they need." 

Just trying to understand the way you think. 

So you are unhappy about todays announcement from Winston? Do you think RITA should make an announcement that they won't accept the governments help as a matter of principle?   

Edited by the galah

10 hours ago, holy ravioli said:

Holy, because what the Chief states is a truthful statement.

No point debating it again, but what I will state is that Chief has got his screwed on the right way and has a heck of a lot of common sense.

He is stating his opinion which is fact based and seems to be a common sense unbiased opinion.

Did you read where the owner of the Pukekohe Mad Butcher passed away in the ,ast few days a week after his business went into liquidation due to Arderns extended lockdown.

He was trying to sell online but was not allowed to so he was forced to go broke.

He was on TV1 a few weeks ago stating his position but made no difference he could see no way out!

This is just the beginning of the fallout from the unescessarily long lockdown and stuffing of people’s financial position.

Thats right we were told to stay at home and save lives!!! BS!! Killed this young fellah and she was not being kind.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Holy, because what the Chief states is a truthful statement.

No point debating it again, but what I will state is that Chief has got his screwed on the right way and has a heck of a lot of common sense.

He is stating his opinion which is fact based and seems to be a common sense unbiased opinion.

Did you read where the owner of the Pukekohe Mad Butcher passed away in the ,ast few days a week after his business went into liquidation due to Arderns extended lockdown.

He was trying to sell online but was not allowed to so he was forced to go broke.

He was on TV1 a few weeks ago stating his position but made no difference he could see no way out!

This is just the beginning of the fallout from the unescessarily long lockdown and stuffing of people’s financial position.

Thats right we were told to stay at home and save lives!!! BS!! Killed this young fellah and she was not being kind.

If you knew anything about the Mad Butcher franchise you can understand that for years it has been a shrinking business model.

Leitch's son in law took it private with an IPO valuing the business at 40mil plus.Inept management and rinsing franchisees meant even though they worked their guts out they were lucky to earn minimum wages.As the decline accelerated the same guy bought the business back for 8million.Investors stiffed,store owners/butchers stiffed,suppliers stiffed...how unlucky can you get!

C19 had nothing to do with this tragedy.Don't know whether you are aware but 10 kiwis commit suicde every week and have done for years.The American Dream is not all its cracked up to be.

You have very little understanding of the real world...that's a shame but ...an understandable condition in people who do not develop a healthy cynicism and appreciation of debt servitude and are  who are conditioned by b/s from the day they are ..born

Holy, I am aware that the Mad Butcher ships have been struggling for years, doesn’t make it right that he couldn’t sell meat online!!!!

Well aware that there are 500suicides per year in NZ and it is going to be a helluva lot more this year and coming years as the fallout from business failures and people being laid off plays out.

Dont intend getting into a further debate Holy, but seriously the additional weeks in lockdown for business has proven an absolute over reaction hasn’t it and has now ensured that a lot more businesses will go to the wall.

Might be incorrect but as far as I am aware there has not been a single positive to the virus in the South Island for over 2 weeks whereas business could’ve been operating.

The death toll is going to be huge from the effects of the extended lockdown and for what?.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Reefton said:

Standard dumb prick behaviour.  Right things need a shakeup.  We need to get rid of some staff.  Lets pick the personalities that people actually realte to, want to hear from and those on the shop front of exposure to the fans(ie the Tony Lee's, the Dave MacDonalds and the presenters(who despite what a lot of people say are doing their best)).   Ditto the Radio Trackside where people on the move keep up with their racing and where talkback and phone in's actually give the punters the fill in if they don't want to listen to the second leg from Kazakstan. Don't worry about the deadwood around the pie warmer we need them.

Same applied when it came  to the courses - pick the ones where people have traditionally wanted to actually attend and  shut them down.

The very last thing we want is the people exposed to the personalities they like and the places they like to go to the races.

Then there is the stakeholders(the trainers and owners who provide the product) - screw the crap out of them while the fat cats in Head Office live off the fat of the land.

McKenzie has proven just as useless as everyone he succeeded in the CEO role.

About time the bugle man got practicing the last post isn't it?

All of the above (Reefton's post), would surely to goodness be the general consensus of the racing public within NZ... 

So why (to re-use Reefton's term), does this "standard dumb prick behaviour" continue, day in, day out, and it is tolerated? 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Reefton said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Whether you love or hate the current bunch, watching sport requires colour commentary.

What is this nonsense about only one camera on course???!! Look at how other sports are trending with camera coverage. This is a death knell to viewership.

It all smacks of look-after-your-mates-in-the-office at the expense of folks out in the field less able to defend themselves from the poison memos and decisions. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

22 hours ago, All The Aces said:

Tote windows on-course will be going being replaced with self service terminals or digital betting only.

Closure of some retail agencies.

TV will have fewer presenters with no dedicated racing shows with the exception of a no frills betting show for weekend racing.

No phonebet channels.

If I understand Winston correctly it looks as if they will introduce to ring fence and stop betting with overseas agencies. ( can someone give Mardigras aka Kim a lift to the airport. ?

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/tote-packs-its-bags-axe-to-fall-on-over-the-counter-raceday-bets-in-new-cost-cutting-move/

Tell me how hard would it be to have cheap tablets (about $150 each) in the tote window with a little printer all connected to WiFi using the TAB'S new fantastic online app to take bets?

The club's pay for the operators anyway just like they do in pub agency's.