Bit Of A Yarn

Dean McKenzie-Time for some truth mate

How much did it cost the industry to make Mark Stafford redundant?

How much are you and the other so called Board members being paid?

How many times did Peter Vela and Kristal McDonald physically attend RITA Board meetings?

Who was it on the RITA Board that wanted to cancel newspapers, Trackside radio, on track betting..is it true that it was Ms McDonald who actually hates racing but just loves the payments she is getting, onceuponatime from JCA ( $200k for 1 day a week) and now RITA?

What was the state of the industry before this Covid drama? Where is the annual report?

I'm sure there are other extremely relevant questions industry participants in NZ would love to ask..

Meanwhile....why hasn't the stakemoney for the new season been announced? Could it be because of some of the above?

anytime your'e ready, Dean.

• Like 7
  • Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

Just one more Deano..the $17 million. When did RITA learn about this? Your boss Winnie MUST have known when he labelled the Racing Board a 'dead horse' 2 years ago. So is that 2 years at $17 mil since nothing has been done? $34 million? Have any of your legal experts on the RITA board explored how the industry can get out of this? Is it enforceable...because $34 million for the last 2 years that Peters has been Minister is a shitload of money...how far would that go in stakemoney?  Huh?

• Like 3

Reality is that RITA can’t do anything to make racing profitable again, while the FAT CATS are still got their noses involved in the sinking ship!

I don’t think that a lot of the racing participants including the trainers are totally aware of how much they have Been shafted by John Allen and his assistants!!

Racing is still on its knees and if you can afford to be racing for the amount that the new stakes are going to be, then I say good luck!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Kopia said:

How much did it cost the industry to make Mark Stafford redundant?

How much are you and the other so called Board members being paid?

How many times did Peter Vela and Kristal McDonald physically attend RITA Board meetings?

Who was it on the RITA Board that wanted to cancel newspapers, Trackside radio, on track betting..is it true that it was Ms McDonald who actually hates racing but just loves the payments she is getting, onceuponatime from JCA ( $200k for 1 day a week) and now RITA?

What was the state of the industry before this Covid drama? Where is the annual report?

I'm sure there are other extremely relevant questions industry participants in NZ would love to ask..

Meanwhile....why hasn't the stakemoney for the new season been announced? Could it be because of some of the above?

anytime your'e ready, Dean.

Your are being an extreme optimist K , there is no hope of getting an answer . The man is just another vanilla money grabbing suit . He lacks as much respect , if not less than any of the past few CEO's , for many racing participants that are just asking for some simple clarification of the decisions RITA are making . I say he has less respect because he was lauded when brought in as a racing man who understood grass roots racing , understood the issues confronting racing , understood racing people who would work with the industry to bring solutions to those issues , but has shown to be no more than another " cliched " paper pusher .

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, nomates said:

Your are being an extreme optimist K , there is no hope of getting an answer . The man is just another vanilla money grabbing suit . He lacks as much respect , if not less than any of the past few CEO's , for many racing participants that are just asking for some simple clarification of the decisions RITA are making . I say he has less respect because he was lauded when brought in as a racing man who understood grass roots racing , understood the issues confronting racing , understood racing people who would work with the industry to bring solutions to those issues , but has shown to be no more than another " cliched " paper pusher .

Correct.

I haven’t seen anything yet that gives any confidence that racing is going to survive, quite the opposite.

With some sort of respect to Dean, does anyone know how much Dean McKenzie is being provided with to bring racing back to being a profitable business.

I have it on pretty good authority That he isn’t on small bickies, quite the opposite, somewhere up where Mr John Allen was, unless someone can advise us otherwise???

We go from having a good surplus to now being on life support and by not promoting racing at all, you might as well turn out the lights!

The existing punters will be voting with their feet, watch this space.

I have for years stated that the NZ TAB business plan was seriously flawed and the chickens have come home to roost!

How on earth can the ones that supported John Allen even think it’s is right to stay on?

What they have allowed to happen is to send the industry into oblivion, as this government will not be bailing them out again, and it will need more of a lifeline in the future without doubt.

Bleak future Indeed but just reality unfortunately!,

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Kopia said:

Just one more Deano..the $17 million. When did RITA learn about this? Your boss Winnie MUST have known when he labelled the Racing Board a 'dead horse' 2 years ago. So is that 2 years at $17 mil since nothing has been done? $34 million? Have any of your legal experts on the RITA board explored how the industry can get out of this? Is it enforceable...because $34 million for the last 2 years that Peters has been Minister is a shitload of money...how far would that go in stakemoney?  Huh?

It's worse than you suggest.  There is another contract(s) that they signed up to for TEN years that is worth many many millions a year.  Even though they are not broadcasting they are still paying.

The only way they can right the ship in the short term is not to pay stakes.  In that respect they have been lucky with Covid-19.  However I'm guessing their revenue dropped to a level below their fixed costs so they are bleeding.

1 hour ago, nomates said:

I don't expect these pricks to answer. Thats not the point of my post. In fact I've been made privy to some information that makes my fucking blood boil, but I'm not at liberty to say what it is...yet. I am going to protest my informant..lets call him/her..'deep throat'!!

All in good time.

• Like 1

Where are these big wigs who have been making these decisions along with John Allen, that has brought racing in NZ to its knees?

We haven’t heard from them and wouldn’t think we would, however they will still be expecting many thousands each and every week into their Bank accounts!

Glen Saville, you are still in charge of wagering with the NZ TAB, and you haven’t once As far as I am aware, poked yourself nose out of the trough and put your point of view across!

You clearly approved John  Allen being allowed to totally stuff racing in NZ, and yet you still remain employed somehow on A massive salary for doing what?

Come out and explain to all racing industry participants why you should be collecting a huge salary when the trainers, and drivers and jockeys are going to be looking for a new career in the next year or so??

10 hours ago, Kopia said:

I don't expect these pricks to answer. Thats not the point of my post. In fact I've been made privy to some information that makes my fucking blood boil, but I'm not at liberty to say what it is...yet. I am going to protest my informant..lets call him/her..'deep throat'!!

All in good time.

Will be very interesting, K.    Look after your source!

One thing strikes me,  here and elsewhere...this almost manic attack-mode on the hapless John Allen.

I'm in full agreement about his competency,  but he shouldn't be the only one to be vilified.  CEO's carry out the policies of their Boards - don't they?

Those behind him, and his predecessor, should be hanging their heads in shame.  Neither Bayliss or J.A could have carried out the destruction on their own without the processes being ticked off.   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Freda said:

I'm in full agreement about his competency,  but he shouldn't be the only one to be vilified.  CEO's carry out the policies of their Boards - don't they?

It isn't the policies that are at fault it is the strategic decisions and the tactical and operational action that result from those decisions that are at fault.

Boards are generally fed information and recommendations from their organisations executive.  Just as is the CEO.  

Any finger pointing should first be directed at those who formulated that information and recommendations.

Boards are appointed and with NZRB/RITA the wrong expertise has been selected.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Boards are appointed and with NZRB/RITA the wrong expertise has been selected.

You're damn right there.

But they still have a collective intelligence I should think.

Shame they, and their predecessors,  haven't used it.

23 minutes ago, Freda said:

You're damn right there.

But they still have a collective intelligence I should think.

Shame they, and their predecessors,  haven't used it.

Well we have a problem with the current arrangement where the Chairman of the Board is also the CEO.

That removes an important tension in managing a corporate.

As for Collective intelligence - none of the Board, nor previous Board's, had substantial experience in Wagering, Broadcasting nor IT.  Owning a racehorse or having a punt every now and then doesn't qualify.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well we have a problem with the current arrangement where the Chairman of the Board is also the CEO.

That removes an important tension in managing a corporate.

As for Collective intelligence - none of the Board, nor previous Board's, had substantial experience in Wagering, Broadcasting nor IT.  Owning a racehorse or having a punt every now and then doesn't qualify.

Actually none of the current Board has the above expertise either although what is required now is a Corporate hard head to manage an insolvency crisis. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, boobybec said:

yet more doom and gloom.

Racing was f.....d before covid, even more so after it.  Does anyone have anything positive to say about racing?

PS Dean McKenzie has inherited a lemon, give him a chance

Booby, Racing has been stuffed by the big wigs decisions that have been made!

Yes Dean has got a near impossible job to resurrect racing without doubt, but prey tell why many that have been making these decisions are still there, meanwhile the people who are the ones that are required are bleeding big time and will eventually be out of work?

Edited by Brodie

54 minutes ago, boobybec said:

yet more doom and gloom.

Racing was f.....d before covid, even more so after it.  Does anyone have anything positive to say about racing?

PS Dean McKenzie has inherited a lemon, give him a chance

Like closing down racings shop front window as announced last week you mean. O.o   

7 hours ago, Freda said:

Will be very interesting, K.    Look after your source!

One thing strikes me,  here and elsewhere...this almost manic attack-mode on the hapless John Allen.

Those behind him, and his predecessor, should be hanging their heads in shame.  Neither Bayliss or J.A could have carried out the destruction on their own without the processes being ticked off.   

The person is close to the action Freda. As in, close to RITA. 

What I can say at the moment is...as always....    Follow. The. Money. ?

39 minutes ago, Kopia said:

The person is close to the action Freda. As in, close to RITA. 

What I can say at the moment is...as always....    Follow. The. Money. ?

Information will start leaking in a torrent as people are laid off.  Another reason for more transparency!  Like a half yearly report.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Information will start leaking in a torrent as people are laid off.  Another reason for more transparency!  Like a half yearly report.

Yes it will. and it has. However just letting you know Chief that I'm not going to disclose anything which I cannot verify. There is a huge amount of money which has 'gone west' in the last few years from 'the industry' and it needs to be accounted for....fully and properly.

3 minutes ago, Kopia said:

Yes it will. and it has. However just letting you know Chief that I'm not going to disclose anything which I cannot verify. There is a huge amount of money which has 'gone west' in the last few years from 'the industry' and it needs to be accounted for....fully and properly.

PM me and we can verify if my sources are in sync with yours.