Bit Of A Yarn

Dean McKenzie-Time for some truth mate

Does this surprise anyone?

So RITA in their wisdom? decide that racing, the TAB. Racing Clubs, punters etc etc do not need

Fields or racing articles in any news media

Any radio broadcast of racing

If you actually make it to a racetrack, don't expect to be able to spend your cash on buying a tote ticket

And more, even if you have sky tv, you'll get very minimal coverage of races

Who the fuck would vote for any or all of the above?

I have been messaged by a guy who until reasonably recent times was actually part of the j.c.a. in NZ, when one of the RITA Board members, the original 'snout in the trougher' Kristal MacDonald was the j.c.a. Chairperson, i.e. in charge of the j.c.a.

At one of their 'conferences'. in Wellington, this old legal hack MacDonald said, to a group including lawyers, a law professor, and some very experienced racing people....all who apparently sit in judgement on jocks, trainers etc at race courses

'You should not watch racing on TV when you are working at a racemeeting for the j.c.a.

Read a book or something.

Anyway,  I can not imagine anything worse than sitting watching horse racing all day

Read it and weap people. Guess who pushed for the abolition of the points in the opening part of this post?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

The above is an 'opening salvo'...

When you consider that this woman has been PAID...not EARNED..millions of dollars by the racing industry over the years, does it make you understand a little more why the whole industry is so fucked? Who makes these appointments? Why are people like this woman seemingly indespensible?

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

May have been commented upon before but it is rare to have an "executive chairman" in New Zealand.  Also very dangerous and and is poor "governance" and will lead to a lack of accountability - not that there has been much in racing anyway

1 hour ago, Kopia said:

The above is an 'opening salvo'...

When you consider that this woman has been PAID...not EARNED..millions of dollars by the racing industry over the years, does it make you understand a little more why the whole industry is so fucked? Who makes these appointments? Why are people like this woman seemingly indespensible?

They are "Globalists"  ..one worlders  ..they are appointed to ensure Failure is the outcome, allowing bigger business to fill in the failure void left by their footprints.

I have pointed this out many times previous in the last 20yrs awhile their activities have been ever rampant.

• Like 3

Guest Whyisit
2 hours ago, Kopia said:

Does this surprise anyone?

So RITA in their wisdom? decide that racing, the TAB. Racing Clubs, punters etc etc do not need

Fields or racing articles in any news media

Any radio broadcast of racing

If you actually make it to a racetrack, don't expect to be able to spend your cash on buying a tote ticket

And more, even if you have sky tv, you'll get very minimal coverage of races

Who the fuck would vote for any or all of the above?

I have been messaged by a guy who until reasonably recent times was actually part of the j.c.a. in NZ, when one of the RITA Board members, the original 'snout in the trougher' Kristal MacDonald was the j.c.a. Chairperson, i.e. in charge of the j.c.a.

At one of their 'conferences'. in Wellington, this old legal hack MacDonald said, to a group including lawyers, a law professor, and some very experienced racing people....all who apparently sit in judgement on jocks, trainers etc at race courses

'You should not watch racing on TV when you are working at a racemeeting for the j.c.a.

Read a book or something.

Anyway,  I can not imagine anything worse than sitting watching horse racing all day

Read it and weap people. Guess who pushed for the abolition of the points in the opening part of this post?

Not defended her. But I can see some method in what she has said.

basically they shouldn’t watch the race and get a view of any interference and then go into the judicial room with a preconceived outlook.They should only determine on what’s being presented to them.  JMO.

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth ...

The sport of kings is simply that, for the elite.  People with plenty of disposable income who can race horses are, those with none aren't.  Over the last 20 years the gulf between the haves and have not's has steadily increased.

The boomers are generally the only people able to race horses, us young folk can only dare to dream.  I guess once they die off we might get a crack, but until then our generation will continue to pay for the double dippers.

Worse yet my generation has to pay ridiculous house prices, price of living, etc.  $11 for a glass of wine at most restaurants or bars.  There is simply nothing left to have a bet, or race a horse.

The boomers could sell their car for a deposit on a house.  We have to sell 2 lungs, 2 kidneys and all our kiwi saver for the same deposit.  But we are constantly told by boomers we had it tough in our day.  Working 40 hour weeks and having a normal weekend.  My heart bleeds for them.

End of the day I love racing.  I love the people, love the horses and getting dressed up and going to the races.  Hoping to see you at the races again soon.  Despite having no money, I can make it stretch because I love it

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, boobybec said:

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth ...

The sport of kings is simply that, for the elite.  People with plenty of disposable income who can race horses are, those with none aren't.  Over the last 20 years the gulf between the haves and have not's has steadily increased.

The boomers are generally the only people able to race horses, us young folk can only dare to dream.  I guess once they die off we might get a crack, but until then our generation will continue to pay for the double dippers.

Worse yet my generation has to pay ridiculous house prices, price of living, etc.  $11 for a glass of wine at most restaurants or bars.  There is simply nothing left to have a bet, or race a horse.

The boomers could sell their car for a deposit on a house.  We have to sell 2 lungs, 2 kidneys and all our kiwi saver for the same deposit.  But we are constantly told by boomers we had it tough in our day.  Working 40 hour weeks and having a normal weekend.  My heart bleeds for them.

End of the day I love racing.  I love the people, love the horses and getting dressed up and going to the races.  Hoping to see you at the races again soon.  Despite having no money, I can make it stretch because I love it

Booby, you disappoint me with some of your comments!

Not sure what area of NZ you live in, but can assure you that in most places in NZ it has never ever been easier to afford to service a mortgage and therefore own your own home.

It is cheaper to own a home than renting and those that continue to moan about housing affordability need to get alongside people that have been successful and find out how to do it.

Most boomers are wealthy? No they aren’t!!, 

You only need to see how many are in rest homes and the country are paying for their keep!

There is this jealousy thing from people that would be classed as the have nots, towards the haves!!!

There is a way for these “have nots” to become a “have” and the first thing is to stop being jealous and the second is to get off your butt and do things to improve  your financial position.

I appreciate that this over reaction by the government to this Covid19 wouldn’t have helped a lot of people, but rest assured that most boomers that are wealthy have done it off their own backs!!!

1 hour ago, boobybec said:

The boomers are generally the only people able to race horses

The following generations are able to own horses too. 

The boomers could sell their car for a deposit on a house. 

That is a sweeping generalisation and not true, almost offensive to some. Have you not seen some 'boomers' having a bet at your local TAB? Not all boomers are flush with money. Far from it.

But we are constantly told by boomers we had it tough in our day

They are full of it. Each generation faces its own challenges.

2 hours ago, boobybec said:

And many do on here too. I don't think people should separate others into boxes of generations. Are you exactly the same as the people who are in your age bracket? I doubt it. Racing needs to try and appeal to each and every generation to be successful through a variety of means which enables them to own or participate in racing.  Vested people like you are central to keeping racing going. Age is irrelevant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

If true, she should resign.

Finally someone sees the point. Yes, its true. And yes, she should. But its the racing industry. Mediocrity, ineptitude,nepotism,stray rooting....and more...its all here folks.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Kopia said:

Finally someone sees the point. Yes, its true. And yes, she should. But its the racing industry. Mediocrity, ineptitude,nepotism,stray rooting....and more...its all here folks.

And no questions asked ,,,,,,,,, or answered !!!

On 26/05/2020 at 6:37 PM, Kopia said:

How much did it cost the industry to make Mark Stafford redundant?

How much are you and the other so called Board members being paid?

How many times did Peter Vela and Kristal McDonald physically attend RITA Board meetings?

Who was it on the RITA Board that wanted to cancel newspapers, Trackside radio, on track betting..is it true that it was Ms McDonald who actually hates racing but just loves the payments she is getting, onceuponatime from JCA ( $200k for 1 day a week) and now RITA?

What was the state of the industry before this Covid drama? Where is the annual report?

I'm sure there are other extremely relevant questions industry participants in NZ would love to ask..

Meanwhile....why hasn't the stakemoney for the new season been announced? Could it be because of some of the above?

anytime your'e ready, Dean.

Not that you seem to give a shit what any of us think, Dean...however

Can you tell us if the financial situation of racing in NZ is that bad that you and your cronies have to sack 30% of the TAB employees, stop the broadcasting of racing on radio ( and you should read Racing.com and Racenet.com to see how stupid the Aussies think you are!) etc etc

How come you haven't done something about this?

Board members, Directors etc of racing in NZ

RITA                    6

NZTR                  6

RIU                      4

JCA                     6 plus CEO

HRNZ                  8

NZTR                   6

GRNZ                  11 !   ( 3 independent, 3 regional, Licensed person, 5 x committees for fecks sake)

That appears to be 48.  48!! at least not counting other 'CEO's, Chiefs etc etc

This is from the websites of these outfits. They'll be getting paid. So who do think the suckers are, again?  If the govt can amend legislation overnight to give the cops power of entry to private property without warrants, don't you think you should do something about the gravy train above?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kopia said:

Not that you seem to give a shit what any of us think, Dean...however

Can you tell us if the financial situation of racing in NZ is that bad that you and your cronies have to sack 30% of the TAB employees, stop the broadcasting of racing on radio ( and you should read Racing.com and Racenet.com to see how stupid the Aussies think you are!) etc etc

How come you haven't done something about this?

Board members, Directors etc of racing in NZ

RITA                    6

NZTR                  6

RIU                      4

JCA                     6 plus CEO

HRNZ                  8

NZTR                   6

GRNZ                  11 !   ( 3 independent, 3 regional, Licensed person, 5 x committees for fecks sake)

That appears to be 48.  48!! at least not counting other 'CEO's, Chiefs etc etc

This is from the websites of these outfits. They'll be getting paid. So who do think the suckers are, again?  If the govt can amend legislation overnight to give the cops power of entry to private property without warrants, don't you think you should do something about the gravy train above?

As you say without mentioning the massive gravy train going on at the clubs, so many $ to be saved there! 

11 hours ago, All The Aces said:

How so??? 

Do you think we really need a GM , Finance , Marketing , Admin function at all of the following clubs? There isn't some amalgamation or centralisation that could occur in this space to save the industry millions? There are huge opportunities everywhere, racing is full of duplication.

Ellerslie

Trentham

Awapuni

Otaki

New Plymouth

Te Rapa

Hawkes Bay

Wanganui

Matamata

Pukekohe

• Like 2

I agree rationalisation will probably be forced upon some struggling Clubs.

For my sins, I am a member of The Wellington Racing Club and last week I received by email a newsletter from The President, Wayne Guppy in which he spelt out that Race is well and truly in the shit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bloke said:

For my sins, I am a member of The Wellington Racing Club and last week I received by email a newsletter from The President, Wayne Guppy in which he spelt out that Race is well and truly in the shit.

So where are they going to get their share of the capital that they are now obliged to invest in the new Synthetic Track?

12 minutes ago, Bloke said:

I agree rationalisation will probably be forced upon some struggling Clubs.

I'm not trying to be smart here...but I thought it was a well-known fact?