Bit Of A Yarn

Dean McKenzie-Time for some truth mate

Executive Chair - Racing Industry Update

10 June 2020
THOROUGHBRED5_0.jpg

It’s been two weeks since we updated you on changes across the TAB in response to the significant impact COVID-19 has had on our business. Fortunately, in that time we have seen the resumption of NZ Harness racing, a full programme of domestic greyhound racing, and the reopening of our gaming business.  And this week, an important milestone in securing racing’s future was achieved with the Select Committee Report on the Racing Industry Bill presented to the House of Parliament. We wanted to provide you with an update on these and some other developments which will be of interest to you.

Racing Industry Bill

The Transport and Infrastructure Select Committee have this week delivered their Report on the Racing Industry Bill to the House of Parliament, including some recommended changes. 

While nothing is confirmed until it is voted on, it is a positive signal to the racing industry that the Government has continued to prioritise the passing of the Bill especially in light of the significant amount of industry feedback to work through and the impact Covid19 has had on the ability of Parliament to operate.

There are over 30 areas where the Committee have recommended changes and it will take us some time to work through and understand each of the different proposals. Our initial view of the Select Committee’s recommendations is that the overall direction and structure of the Bill remains the same as it was before the Committee and is still in line with the direction of the Messara Report. The TAB will be established as a pure betting, broadcasting and gaming entity, and the Codes will have greater roles and responsibilities for developing and promoting their sport.

From our initial review of the Report, the key aspects of change the Select Committee has recommended includes:

• The establishment of Racing NZ as soon as the Bill becomes law. This is a formal consultative forum comprising the three Codes. It could carry out some of the functions of the Codes (if the Codes wish). 
  • Changes to the venue provisions of the Bill. The changes appear to require the Minister to have greater consideration of the community before deciding whether to vest a Club’s assets with the Code.
  • Changes to the composition of the TAB NZ Board. The TAB is proposed to have three out of seven members appointed on recommendation of the Codes. A Selection Panel is proposed and the overall required skillset of the Board remains generally in line with what was in the Bill previously. 
  • Intellectual Property. The clause that gave TAB NZ exclusive use of racing industry intellectual property is proposed to be removed. This clause was viewed by almost all submitters (including RITA) as being too broad and encompassing, when the intention was for the clause to apply to negotiations with offshore bookmakers.  
  • Betting Information Use Charges (Racefields). There are some welcome changes to this aspect of the legislation which make it easier for the industry to require offshore bookmakers to pay for their use of New Zealand product. We will be working with the Codes to ensure we have a coordinated plan for this important revenue earner. 

The next stage of the process is that the Minister could also introduce any changes he wants to see included as part of the Second Reading. The Parliament then agrees to or rejects the amendments recommended by the Select Committee and the Minister. This will hopefully all happen prior to the end of this month. If all goes to plan, the Bill could come into effect by 1 August. 

TAB Transition

Late last month we shared with you details of the changes across the TAB to enable it to emerge out of COVID-19 a leaner, more efficient business and focused on driving our core wagering, broadcasting and gaming offering to our customers.

In parts of our business, such as oncourse betting, the trend for our customers is increasingly to bet on a device and on self service terminals. We have identified considerable savings for the whole industry by moving away from traditional tote services, however we know many of our clubs and some customers want to see a more gradual change. RITA is currently working with a group of major clubs and the Codes to explore options that enable some tote services remaining over the next 12 months or so, without compromising the savings RITA has committed to. There is broad agreement amongst the group that the status quo is not commercially tenable going forward and digital and self service solutions are the way of the future.

The oncourse betting solution for clubs hosting meetings over the next six weeks are currently being prioritised given the lifting of attendance restrictions under Alert Level 1. 

Executive leadership team review

As you are aware, in addition to major staff changes announced, the Board has recently undertaken a review of the TAB executive structure to ensure it is fit for purpose for the new TAB operating model, subsequent to the new legislation being passed.

The Board has accepted the recommendations of the independent consultants we engaged to review the structure and we have advised our executive that we will undertake consultation on a proposed new structure later this month. The process is being led by myself with appropriate support and a Board Subcommittee providing additional oversight of this work.

The Board expects to conclude the consultation process, consider feedback, and make final decisions in July. In respect of the appointment of a new Chief Executive, the Board intends to also revisit this in the coming weeks. 

Board extension

Last week the Racing Minister Winston Peters announced that the terms for the directors of RITA have been extended to 30 June 2021, or the passage of the Bill. This allows the directors to continue contributing to work to help make the racing industry both more prosperous and sustainable.

TAB performance

In many cases the Board had to make some tough decisions as we focus on the essential parts of our business that generate the funding required to drive the industry. For the likes of Trackside Radio, printed newspaper form, and phonebet, the high cost of providing these in the current climate is simply not sustainable. It’s early days yet but pleasingly these changes don’t appear to have compromised revenue with turnover and gross betting revenue for domestic racing tracking ahead of budget, and close to or above pre COVID levels. TAB’s gaming business has also returned strongly with gaming turnover for the first few weeks above the pre lock-down weekly average.

Right now, we are working with the codes on next year’s distributions and we hope to be able to give them a more accurate forecast in the next few days, prior to confirming a final budget at the end of the month. Once this is done they will be able to provide information on stakes for the new calendar which will be released early next month. 

Positive signs ahead

While we are certainly not out of the woods yet, the progress of the Racing Bill, an early return (and full) programme of domestic racing and revenues returning, in some cases, to pre-Covid levels provide enough reasons to be optimistic that RITA and the wider industry can come out of this crisis with some confidence.

1 hour ago, TIME FOR CHANGE said:

And we still wait for 1/2 year report now 2 months OVERDUE

How can anyone invest in the Industry without knowing where they sit financially.

Not being rude, but have all the changes at RITA, the coming theft of club assets, the appalling state of NZTR and the bailout not given you an idea where we are at? 

On 11/06/2020 at 8:37 AM, TIME FOR CHANGE said:

And we still wait for 1/2 year report now 2 months OVERDUE

How can anyone invest in the Industry without knowing where they sit financially.

Unlike NZRB RITA have no  obligation to produce half year report and i'd suggest they have far more important things to do. It would hardly be worth the paper it was written on given business changes and covid revenue effects during the period the report would have covered.

Obviously it would not be positive in any shape our form but surely the mark of what progress RITA has made will be seen once code distribution takes place. Thats when you will see if next seasons stakes are held at this seasons level for starters

Go for it Chief- attack

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Unlike NZRB RITA have no  obligation to produce half year report and i'd suggest they have far more important things to do. It would hardly be worth the paper it was written on given business changes and covid revenue effects during the period the report would have covered.

Obviously it would not be positive in any shape our form but surely the mark of what progress RITA has made will be seen once code distribution takes place. Thats when you will see if next seasons stakes are held at this seasons level for starters

Go for it Chief- attack

Greg

No legal obligation , but a moral obligation , to inform the participants that are busting their arses to produce a product to try and help keep the industry afloat , so if nothing else they have a knowledge of the financial position of their head body , to have an understanding of the job ahead . They do have a stake in the future of the industry after all .

As for next seasons stakes , i would have thought if things were going to remain as last season they would have made a point of getting that out as it would have been a positive . Most of the owners/trainers i have talked to are expecting a decrease , just hoping not to big .

• Like 2

Looking at the noms for Pukekohe unless there is a miracle the shit will hit the fan again.........if you have a low rating you will be pushing it uphill, some ballots will be waiting for an age to start, and the days of scratching because you drew the grandstand are long gone.....it's a catch 22, the jocks will take a while to get their eyes in, some can't ride anyway, some couldn't sit in a tram, so some loyal, living in hope owners will be very very disappointed.

The mortgages will still be paid at Petone though, will we ever find out who took the pay cuts? who stood shoulder to shoulder with the grass roots hard working buggers? nah.......you couldn't frame a market on that.

4 hours ago, nomates said:

to inform the participants that are busting their arses to produce a product to try and help keep the industry afloat ,

Id say RITA have via Mc McKenzie have  posted more info about the industry and finances  in 7 months than Glenda John and co did in 3 years.

Greg

41 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Id say RITA have via Mc McKenzie have  posted more info about the industry and finances  in 7 months than Glenda John and co did in 3 years.

Greg

He doesn't have to jump high to clear that bar . Jeez your arms must be close to falling off swimming for so long against the tide of general opinion within the industry . You almost come across as an INFOMERCIAL for RITA .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

So where are the second and third quarter reports that the Minister's Letter of Expectation required to be delivered to him and the DIA, yet the DIA tell me they don't have?

• Champ Post 1

4 minutes ago, curious said:

So where are the second and third quarter reports that the Minister's Letter of Expectation required to be delivered to him and the DIA, yet the DIA tell me they don't have?

Which probably explains how the Minister didn't know until the last moment that the Creditors were pulling the pin.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nomates said:

He doesn't have to jump high to clear that bar . Jeez your arms must be close to falling off swimming for so long against the tide of general opinion within the industry . You almost come across as an INFOMERCIAL for RITA .

Just as you come across as someone who wants to bag RITA at every opportunity. I understand the BLAME game but surely you and others cant be taken seriously by attacking those who are restructuring the previous dysfunctional body who ran the business into insolvency.

PS. I have no association with either NZRB or RITA or NZTR etc. I just like a bit of balance

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

11 hours ago, curious said:

I have no idea, perhaps you could ask RITA Brent and come back to us as id be interested as well?

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

The weight spreads for SAT prove incompetence and ignorance is still rampant, plus the H11 in a drought? the fact so many will be turned away, owners that is will or should at least haunt them. They had a real opportunity to right the ship,, a broom should have gone through that disjointed structure in Petone, a big broom......instead a feather duster was used and I fear it's now too late to turn things around.

The only winner out of this will be NZB, their air freight div, so many horses will leave for Oz and further, the pricks in Petone and Parnell did this to us all. Lest we forget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

I have no idea, perhaps you could ask RITA Brent and come back to us as id be interested as well?

Greg

I have made an OIA request for them and am waiting. They have acknowledged the request. I initially made it to the DIA which is why I know they do not hold those reports. I don't understand why they haven't released them on the website like they did with the first quarter written report though to keep stakeholders informed.

Edited by curious

Greg,  you said: ..

RITA have no  obligation to produce half year report and i'd suggest they have far more important things to do. It would hardly be worth the paper it was written on given business changes and covid revenue effects during the period the report would have covered.

FACT: THERE ARE NO EFFECTS ON REVENUE OF COVID FOR THE HALF-YEARLY REPORT WHICH COVERS AUG 2019-JAN 2020

The following info received from TAB spokesperson last week by someone I know:

It is anticipated that we'll be in a position to release the half year financial results at the same time we provide information on next year's budget. This will be after the Board meeting at the end of the month. 

We will not be releasing a voluntary Half Year Report in the same format that was released last year ... (my emphasis)

translation/my opinion: RITA is going to use the Covid issue to avoid revealing to its stakeholders how much strife they were in pre-Covid. This will allow them to hide the truth and shift the blame for their insolvency on things beyond their control

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

McKenzie has been in charge for nearly 12 months.  His Board team have been on the job for 18 months!

We got half yearly and yearly reports each year that their predecessors were there.  What's more we got weekly reports on turnover.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Just as you come across as someone who wants to bag RITA at every opportunity. I understand the BLAME game but surely you and others cant be taken seriously by attacking those who are restructuring the previous dysfunctional body who ran the business into insolvency.

PS. I have no association with either NZRB or RITA or NZTR etc. I just like a bit of balance

Greg

Greg

You do sound like an apologist for RITA. If RITA were truly committed to transparency and turning the foundering ship around, they would have released the Half Yearly Report i the last month or so. Why? Because it would give a  fair 'snapshot' to all stakeholders of the State of The Industry. RITA have chosen not to release it, on the grounds that it's not a mandatory requirement. Yet the unaudited Report was completed pre-Covid and released to stakeholders, so what's the problem with finalising the process (ie getting the books audited, then released) in the usual way?
We are left to speculate that important facts are being hidden.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

Are you suggesting that the previously dysfunctional body is no longer dysfunctional , it's as bad as ever , the culture towards participants hasn't changed , you say D Mc has put out more info than the previous lot , but it's all fluff . He was supposed to be the racing man that understood racing and it's issues and change that culture , nothing has changed .

And that the restructuring they have under taken to right the business that " WAS " previously being run into insolvency has been a roaring success and got the industry back on it's feet . What would you call it now . Where have you been , the restructuring they have done has only saved 16% of the bulging costs that were drowning the industry . And don't come back with , they are reviewing senior level staff , because that should have been done from the start of RITA's inception . And don't get me started on the dismantling of information to punters , along with the withdrawal of radio coverage , that's going to grow revenue .

This is why people , like me , are BAGGING them , and i have , as well as many others , tried have communications with them , their not interested . They were supposed to come in and rectify the position , instead they have just added another concrete block to our feet to help keep dragging us down .

You just like a bit of balance , well here's a suggestion on how to get a bit of balance so you can understand the " baggers " , get your arse out of bed every morning at 5am , work your arse off all day , every day , and every day watch as the people paid to manage your industry slowly bleed it to death , all the while taking more and more to manage the industry , all the while not listening to industry participants . Or as an owner watch as your asked to pay more and more to stay in the game all the while watching as returns are eroded by bloated costs and poor vision that is draining industry funds . Or club members who volunteer hours and hours of labour to their club just to see their raced dates go , or their track trying to be sold out from under them .

I know you own horses , or did , but you didn't stick it out in thorobreds for long , went to harness , all because of an extended period of wet weather frustrated you , really , you shouldn't be preaching to people who have their lives invested in this industry . 

• Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

McKenzie has been in charge for nearly 12 months.  His Board team have been on the job for 18 months!

Dean McKenzie to take interim executive role with NZ’s RITA

9 December 2019

The chairman of New Zealand’s Racing Industry Transition Agency (RITA) Dean McKenzie will take on the role of executive director once current chief executive John Allen steps down at the end of 2019.

McKenzie will serve in the role until June 2020, meaning he will be in place as the New Zealand government shepherds the Racing Industry Bill into law, after which RITA will evolve into TAB NZ.

This, RITA said, would ensure the transitional body “maintains the momentum of significant urgent reform required to revitalise racing, while providing continuity and stability in the management of the day to day activities of the TAB”.

It would be an extension of the responsibilities McKenzie had taken on when he was appointed chair in July this year, RITA added. McKenzie will be supported by RITA chief operating officer Stephen Henry, who will take on additional operational responsibilities until the end of June next year.

Facts Chief abound from above . So McKenzie has been CEO for 6 months and chair of RITA board for coming up a year. Big difference from your numbers but no doubt youll argue something different.

Greg

46 minutes ago, nomates said:

I know you own horses , or did , but you didn't stick it out in thorobreds for long , went to harness , all because of an extended period of wet weather frustrated you , really , you shouldn't be preaching to people who have their lives invested in this industry . 

That suggests you know absolutely nothing about me.

Its also your prerogative to bag RITA NZRB,NZTR and HRNZ on any forum that you can access. Go for it as im pretty sure no one with any real business experience restructures a business from the top down as you suggest. Also, if you had a business that received no income for 3 months what would the likely outcome be and what strategy would you use to resolve obvious cash flow issues??

Im picking the top table at RITA will be halved in the coming weeks as due process takes place and right sizing continues. Keep whinging and moaning as i personally find it amusing although im pretty sure it will have no take up by those running the show.

Edited by JJ Flash

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why didn't McKenzie and his Board TWELVE MONTHS ago start that process?

Ask him or better still ask WP who is his boss.

I suspect that the Racing bill received priority in the initial stages as that was the primary reason for RITA after Messara report.  Further, no new board would walk in and make any type of major changes at op level until they knew the business they inherited and decided on the correct way forward for that business.

Greg