Bit Of A Yarn

Excited About NZ Racing Today?

59 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Well, anyone excited about Puke races today? I bet turnover is  not too good, I watched a few, but wont get any of my dough with that shit track. Horses dropping out after 300ms, very funny. 

Are u still not betting?

16 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Not on NZ racing. Stuck to my guns, TAB are getting zilch from me. 

I may bet on the nz tab again,but not till trackside radio is back on radio,that's the one thing that they have stuffed up on,well the biggest of many I should say.

• Like 1

How sad to see no race meetings from the Cape to the Bluff for an entire week, gee, you might actually find some senior riders turning up for trackwork, canvassing for rides?

I wonder how many of them will retain agents? A jockey's agent, same as a bloodstock agent.......oxygen thieves, dining out on the stupidity of people with too much money or not enough brains.

I can understand a jock who's riding say 5-6 days a week needing an agent, but in NZ when they will be working a job to pay the mortgage in many cases, who the hell wants a 'hanger on'? Either they are bone lazy or loaded.

At least the days of the bloodsuckers might be ending, downsizing the latest Range Rover to a Toyota Corolla maybe......we can but hope.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

How sad to see no race meetings from the Cape to the Bluff for an entire week, gee, you might actually find some senior riders turning up for trackwork, canvassing for rides?

I wonder how many of them will retain agents? A jockey's agent, same as a bloodstock agent.......oxygen thieves, dining out on the stupidity of people with too much money or not enough brains.

I can understand a jock who's riding say 5-6 days a week needing an agent, but in NZ when they will be working a job to pay the mortgage in many cases, who the hell wants a 'hanger on'? Either they are bone lazy or loaded.

At least the days of the bloodsuckers might be ending, downsizing the latest Range Rover to a Toyota Corolla maybe......we can but hope.

They should be putting on more meetings , i understand why they were cautious but the industry participants came to the party and shown there are sufficient numbers for them to step up and put on more meetings , and utilize more courses . As per usual one side letting the team down .

2 minutes ago, Freda said:

Can you imagine what these [reduced] courses are going to look like after several racedays in the wet?

It was a decision made with Covid in mind and understandable but as usual showing very little ability to adapt to a changing situation , as i said a couple of weeks ago , in the CD they have used Otaki and Waverley for trials but wont program a meeting there , but will hammer Palmy and Wang . Blinkered thinking as usual .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Can you imagine what these [reduced] courses are going to look like after several racedays in the wet?

The rumour is, 5'-3'' Bernie will be out with a pounder putting all the divets back over the coming week. There's nothing much to do in Petone these days since they repossessed the sausage warmer....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, nomates said:

Intelligence constraint , self imposed or otherwise not sure .

I was referring to the high cost broadcasting setup that is dictating where racing occurs.  Which has nothing to do with what customers or stakeholders want.

I was reminded of the dumb decision making by NZRB in this regard when I saw Samsung advertising their latestest 8k Oled TV.  It generates "colours the human eye can't determine".  Uh?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I was referring to the high cost broadcasting setup that is dictating where racing occurs.  Which has nothing to do with what customers or stakeholders want.

I was reminded of the dumb decision making by NZRB in this regard when I saw Samsung advertising their latestest 8k Oled TV.  It generates "colours the human eye can't determine".  Uh?

26 June 2020

Dear Clubs,

Fibre Connectivity at Race Tracks

We have recently fielded queries from some clubs regarding the installation of fibre connectivity.

This has stemmed from the announcement that the meetings during the resumption of racing period in June and July would be limited to fibre connected tracks.  This meant ALL satellite costs for that month could be avoided.

Where confusion has arisen is that the type of connection found in domestic or business premises, is not the fibre connection utilised on race day. 

RITA works with its network partner (Vocus) to regularly review businesses cases at individual venues and determine whether it makes commercial sense to transition linking from satellite to fibre.  The responsibility for fibre linking, and satellite linking costs and logistics at those venues without fibre connectivity, lies with RITA.

Clubs therefore do not need to do anything regarding fibre connectivity themselves.

If you require further information please contact Mary.Burgess@nztr.co.nz

Regards

Bernard Saundry

51 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Where confusion has arisen is that the type of connection found in domestic or business premises, is not the fibre connection utilised on race day. 

That's a bit of smoke and mirrors.  The fibre network is the same - fibre is fibre it is what's put on the end at the premises that is different.  THAT technology is being driven by the Broadcaster (NEP and RITA)  NOT the network provider.

So the physical connectivity from the CORE to the destination is the same as the fibre that runs right past the Foxton racetracks front gate.

Of course the "business cases" will get better when you hold more race meetings at a venue.  BUT it shouldn't be Broadcasting costs that determine when and where race meetings are held.

At my last gig as IT Manager I chose Vocus (Callplus) as our network provider converting all our countrywide branches to fibre.  So I have a very detailed understanding of their network.

In layman's terms the fibre pipe is no different to any other pipe it's just the bits of tin you put at each end and the speed width of the crap you blow down the pipe.

I suggest Bernard instead of retrospectively justifying the decisions to have the races where they are you get your arse into gear and challenge why the hell RITA are continuing with a high cost model of broadcasting.

Further if you talk to the right people at Vocus and get a decent techo on the job then you could put fibre into ALL locations and transport the "tin at the end" to each course each race day.

BTW I bet the back up on course is the Broadcast van linking to Satellite!!

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's a bit of smoke and mirrors.  The fibre network is the same - fibre is fibre it is what's put on the end at the premises that is different.  THAT technology is being driven by the Broadcaster (NEP and RITA)  NOT the network provider.

So the physical connectivity from the CORE to the destination is the same as the fibre that runs right past the Foxton racetracks front gate.

Of course the "business cases" will get better when you hold more race meetings at a venue.  BUT it shouldn't be Broadcasting costs that determine when and where race meetings are held.

At my last gig as IT Manager I chose Vocus (Callplus) as our network provider converting all our countrywide branches to fibre.  So I have a very detailed understanding of their network.

In layman's terms the fibre pipe is no different to any other pipe it's just the bits of tin you put at each end and the speed width of the crap you blow down the pipe.

I suggest Bernard instead of retrospectively justifying the decisions to have the races where they are you get your arse into gear and challenge why the hell RITA are continuing with a high cost model of broadcasting.

Further if you talk to the right people at Vocus and get a decent techo on the job then you could put fibre into ALL locations and transport the "tin at the end" to each course each race day.

BTW I bet the back up on course is the Broadcast van linking to Satellite!!

The only gear Bernard can get into is neutral!.......we don't want him back here in Oz, he's bloody useless, clueless, and I hope you lot kick him into touch before he does more damage.....he's no decision maker though, just the mouthpiece......Purcell was Phar Lap compared to this bloke.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The only gear Bernard can get into is neutral!.......we don't want him back here in Oz, he's bloody useless, clueless, and I hope you lot kick him into touch before he does more damage.....he's no decision maker though, just the mouthpiece......Purcell was Phar Lap compared to this bloke.

I have to agree with your comparison to Purcell.  The communication from him was light years ahead of Saundry in terms of detail.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I wonder how many racecourse appearances he's make? or Hughes? they have hides like Rhino's, although the little bald bloke is a mite touchy right now me thinks.......it's not beer and skittles back here regarding his tenure at RVL.

Yet another ozzie who was promoted to be gallopings saviour with his aussie racing resume . Another false dawn .

• Like 1

I could never understand who hired them.......it baffled me, it stumped more learned people than I........Purcell was middle management, head of country racing, but that was AJC back then and country was small fry.....as for the height challenged bantam, please tell me who did the hiring as I'll bet he's nowhere to be seen now........or is he/she