Bit Of A Yarn

Excited About NZ Racing Today?

Guest Whyisit
1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Exactly if big clubs running a corporate model with all the benefits and subsidisations they have had from NZRB (in comparison to smaller clubs) couldn't fund their own technology infrastructure how are they going to do it in the future?

The classic case is the Cambridge Jockey Club surely they could have funded an AWT track themselves without getting a Government benefit handout?

I’m sure President Bruce Harvey said in his submission to the select committee that they were funding the AWT themselves. 

On 29/06/2020 at 3:38 PM, Joe Bloggs said:

I could never understand who hired them.......it baffled me, it stumped more learned people than I........Purcell was middle management, head of country racing, but that was AJC back then and country was small fry.....as for the height challenged bantam, please tell me who did the hiring as I'll bet he's nowhere to be seen now........or is he/she

I think that it’s pretty accurate to say that Allan Jackson hired him. 

Not looked at any nz racing today, wont get a cent from me. 
Rosehill & Flemington start soon, got money in aussie accounts, life is sweat. NZ TAB should have looked after me in the past, because now me, and heaps of others, are gone. 
Somebody post NZ racings turnovers, will be funny. 

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

Gee, on the rat cafe there is a bloke saying shame on you, thinksters like you are killing the tab he says, deserter he says.......fair weather sailor is the insinuation,..........aren't they lovely those people? You were done over royally by an inept bunch of arseholes that couldn't rig a one ticket lottery.......good on you, until they show some transparency and fiduciary responsibility tell them to go f%^k themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

We haven't seen much detail on turnovers since Purcell left. 

Seems RITA/NZTR don't deem it information that stakeholders are entitled to.  In my opinion that only creates uncertainty for investment.

Why take the risk of buying into a horse in NZ when you have no confidence that stakes will be maintained?

I realise a horse doesn't pay its way in NZ unless it is top drawer but it's nice to know what you could get.

1 minute ago, Noodlum said:

We haven't seen much detail on turnovers since Purcell left. 

Seems RITA/NZTR don't deem it information that stakeholders are entitled to.  In my opinion that only creates uncertainty for investment.

Why take the risk of buying into a horse in NZ when you have no confidence that stakes will be maintained?

I realise a horse doesn't pay its way in NZ unless it is top drawer but it's nice to know what you could get.

Don't want participants to see just how bad they are travelling , what they don't get is if participants knew exactly what the industries position was we would be more understanding , we might tell them to pull their finger out , PRONTO , but we would be polite doing it .

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Gee, on the rat cafe there is a bloke saying shame on you, thinksters like you are killing the tab he says, deserter he says.......fair weather sailor is the insinuation,..........aren't they lovely those people? You were done over royally by an inept bunch of arseholes that couldn't rig a one ticket lottery.......good on you, until they show some transparency and fiduciary responsibility tell them to go f%^k themselves.

I don't buy into that loyalty crap.  Loyalty cuts both ways and we haven't seen much coming from them to us.  Even a bit of understanding of me as a customer would be nice instead they have shat on me.  

• no free to air Trackside (I keep a minimum of 50 cents in my account so I can watch the streaming service);
  • poor to now close to zero form publishing;
  • there was no loyalty when they screwed The Informant over;
  • no radio with meeting reviews and interviews - I've fixed that by being disloyal and tune into Sky Radio Australia 2KY - DON'T the NZ TAB;
  • a web app and website that doesn't suit my needs whatsoever - WTF can't I change the settings so that Racing comes up first rather than some obscure sport that I couldn't give a rats arse about!  I just opened the app on my phone now - there we go baseball from Nicaragua - Boer vs Matagalpa is the first thing that hits me!  I might be interested if I could watch the game and the players are carrying machine guns and openly snort cocaine between innings!;
  • Further to the above point - I'm getting sick of have to go from the home page to racing.  It feels like an insult to have to do it everytime I reopen the app!!!;
  • don't mention the shitty odds they offer!;
  • don't mention what a pain in the arse it is bet AND watch at the same time on my smart phone unless I'm wearing Magoo glasses (expanding the video stream to full screen hides the punting options!)and have full control of my finger!;
  • ......I better stop I'm getting wound up.
  • Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

Another thing.....I decided to open up the laptop and log into the NZ TAB.  The only way I have of watching listening to the races is to stream them from the TAB website.  Now I'm getting pissed off at trying to look at the fields while having the video streaming.  There are three options for the video - full screen, a small medium screen or a micro screen.  The latter is a waste of time because I need a magnifying glass to see anything.  The full screen hides all the bloody field and price information!  So that leaves the small medium screen!  

Now this small medium screen box is fine to look at but if you are looking at the fields and prices you have to keep shifting the damn thing around so you can peek underneath to look at some information.  It is pissing me off!  Why can't you lock the video into a fixed sidebar and have the field information available in a scrollable portion where you can switch from different meetings and different races?  How hard is that!  Shoot the CNN website does it!  You start at the top of the page with the video and as you scroll down through the information the video switches to a side bar and locks in.  Perfect!

Did they have any customer user testing done?  You know by REAL customers?

Sure I could have the video going on my smart phone while I have the fields up on my laptop but I have turn the screen saver off on my phone and prop it up so I can see it.

umff!

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Where is that post over there? Had a quick look, couldnt see it. 
Mind you, hardly eber look over their now

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don't buy into that loyalty crap.  Loyalty cuts both ways and we haven't seen much coming from them to us.  Even a bit of understanding of me as a customer would be nice instead they have shat on me.  

• no free to air Trackside (I keep a minimum of 50 cents in my account so I can watch the streaming service);
  • poor to now close to zero form publishing;
  • there was no loyalty when they screwed The Informant over;
  • no radio with meeting reviews and interviews - I've fixed that by being disloyal and tune into Sky Radio Australia 2KY - DON'T the NZ TAB;
  • a web app and website that doesn't suit my needs whatsoever - WTF can't I change the settings so that Racing comes up first rather than some obscure sport that I couldn't give a rats arse about!  I just opened the app on my phone now - there we go baseball from Nicaragua - Boer vs Matagalpa is the first thing that hits me!  I might be interested if I could watch the game and the players are carrying machine guns and openly snort cocaine between innings!;
  • Further to the above point - I'm getting sick of have to go from the home page to racing.  It feels like an insult to have to do it everytime I reopen the app!!!;
  • don't mention the shitty odds they offer!;
  • don't mention what a pain in the arse it is bet AND watch at the same time on my smart phone unless I'm wearing Magoo glasses (expanding the video stream to full screen hides the punting options!)and have full control of my finger!;
  • ......I better stop I'm getting wound up.

I got 1 cent in my account,just not sure what do with it ,looking for value lol

39 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Where is that post over there? Had a quick look, couldnt see it. 
Mind you, hardly eber look over their now

I'm going back a wee way, but the poster was a regular who berated some poor bugger for saying same as you....called him out, but why?

The bastards ripped off the punter for years, not bookies arseholes, they couldn't frame a painting never mind a market.....give em heaps I say, but deaf ears, while the head honcho's stay there on sickening salaries they have no credibility, we know it they know it, bet up with the Aussies/Poms......at least it's competitive and a service provided.

• Like 2

In all this shambolic restructuring it has struck me ( okay, maybe I'm slower than most here )  that the original aims have been lost sight of.

Alan Jackson has had the track reduction fixation in mind for many a year.  Forcible cessation was not on Purcell's agenda but appears to be on Saundry's.  But from NZTR's position the line was always justified by the position that maintenance of all the tracks were are huge drag on industry funds.

Many agree that there are too many tracks,  but  definitive costings to show us all the wastage has never been displayed.  The Chief has shown that the fibre capability is really just a red herring and convenient excuse...and our close neighbour over the ditch recognizes the importance of fostering regional racing, not squashing it.

Roll forward to the Messara report and the recommendation that endorses that closure stance....but for the specific purpose of renovating the selected tracks using funds received from the asset grab to provide a slick and modern medium to attract offcourse betting.

So...where are we?  A shitfest of frustration and disagreement over track retention,  no financial light at the end of the tunnel for track upgrades because so far nothing has been cashed in and may not be for some time - if ever. No slick product to attract the offshore dollar. 

But the penny seems to have dropped ( somewhere)  that concentrating racing on the few selected courses is going to produce tracks that are absolutely shagged with no money to upgrade, short or medium term.

So now we have a grudging acknowledgment that we are going to have to use some of the previously unwanted courses. 

The funding/race stake issue is a separate drama to all this IMO... contributing to all the angst and uncertainty but running alongside the mismanagement at code level.

I don't think anyone could have scripted such a complete and utter cock up of something that used to work quite well.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 3

20 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Another thing.....I decided to open up the laptop and log into the NZ TAB.  The only way I have of watching listening to the races is to stream them from the TAB website.

you can now stream on the loveracing.nz, funny thing is it's better than the tabs website

6 hours ago, Freda said:

In all this shambolic restructuring it has struck me ( okay, maybe I'm slower than most here )  that the original aims have been lost sight of.

Alan Jackson has had the track reduction fixation in mind for many a year.  Forcible cessation was not on Purcell's agenda but appears to be on Saundry's.  But from NZTR's position the line was always justified by the position that maintenance of all the tracks were are huge drag on industry funds.

Many agree that there are too many tracks,  but  definitive costings to show us all the wastage has never been displayed.  The Chief has shown that the fibre capability is really just a red herring and convenient excuse...and our close neighbour over the ditch recognizes the importance of fostering regional racing, not squashing it.

Roll forward to the Messara report and the recommendation that endorses that closure stance....but for the specific purpose of renovating the selected tracks using funds received from the asset grab to provide a slick and modern medium to attract offcourse betting.

So...where are we?  A shitfest of frustration and disagreement over track retention,  no financial light at the end of the tunnel for track upgrades because so far nothing has been cashed in and may not be for some time - if ever. No slick product to attract the offshore dollar. 

But the penny seems to have dropped ( somewhere)  that concentrating racing on the few selected courses is going to produce tracks that are absolutely shagged with no money to upgrade, short or medium term.

So now we have a grudging acknowledgment that we are going to have to use some of the previously unwanted courses. 

The funding/race stake issue is a separate drama to all this IMO... contributing to all the angst and uncertainty but running alongside the mismanagement at code level.

I don't think anyone could have scripted such a complete and utter cock up of something that used to work quite well.

Very very good post.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

On 4/07/2020 at 12:28 PM, Newmarket said:

Not looked at any nz racing today, wont get a cent from me. 
Rosehill & Flemington start soon, got money in aussie accounts, life is sweat. NZ TAB should have looked after me in the past, because now me, and heaps of others, are gone. 

Someone from the TAB said yesterday turnovers have been very good. Not sure if they are taking into account more races,larger fields, no other gallops but on Saturday, but just goes to show they didn't need to chuck unsustainable amounts of money at Prizemoney to get ok turnovers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Freda said:

Freda, that’s the best posting that I have ever read on any of the sites in all the years that I have been participating. 
Well done for summing it up so beautifully. 
Beau

• Champ Post 1

• NZTR and RITA are working with Raceform on the supply of racing information including preview and review comments with intention to have the Raceform publication back in the marketplace on 1 August •

In addition, NZTR is developing a punters hub on LoveRacing.nz which will be powered by Raceform and include live and trial vision and a PDF copy of the weekly Raceform publication.

They must just about be ready for a body brace the amount of back flips they have done . Just goes to show how little real thought and understanding was put into some of these decisions . Now let's see how long until radio trackside or some form of radio coverage is reinstated . My bet is they will do something , they have underestimated the effect some of these decisions were going to have on their business .

• Like 1