Bit Of A Yarn

Excited About NZ Racing Today?

Just reading about all the lost meetings for the CD over the next few months. There will be a lot of disappointed owners, or should I say pissed owners advising their trainers, ''I'm going to sell up, or move the ones with some talent over to Oz''.........Patrick Payne's stable is busting at the sides with ex-pats and young Mitchell Beer from Albury on the border is buying so many lightly raced steeds from NZ at the moment.

Patriotism is all well and good, so too family ties, but for a young trainer in the CD and the SI, it's just terrible and time to look over here. As soon as we get some normality with flights and borders I'll do my darndest to get our young trainer and his wife to move over........the arseholes in charge over there have caused so much angst on racings young folk they need a comeuppance, something to shake the bastards to their jockstraps......if they need them...I doubt that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The only gear Bernard can get into is neutral!.......we don't want him back here in Oz, he's bloody useless, clueless, and I hope you lot kick him into touch before he does more damage.....he's no decision maker though, just the mouthpiece......Purcell was Phar Lap compared to this bloke.

Sadly you are correct, I've seen very little from him thats made any positive contribution to racing in this country. One gets the impression he is very much a yes man unable to think outside of the square, he comments regarding managing decline sum him up really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huey said:

Sadly you are correct, I've seen very little from him thats made any positive contribution to racing in this country. One gets the impression he is very much a yes man unable to think outside of the square, he comments regarding managing decline sum him up really.

Iv'e said a number of times but i'll say it again , he has contributed nothing , nada , fuckall , to NZTR . Hasn't come up with one initiative during his tenure as the CEO to improve the galloping code , has been sitting waiting for the Messara report to fix it all , He's made the last couple of CEO's look friggin Einsteins .

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

Yeah to all the above.....mostly....but I've had more response from Saundry ( very little )  than I ever got from Purcell ( nothing).

You'd think even a moderate P.A. could flick a standard ' thank you for your email '  response,  or answer the occasional phonecall.

And the disgraceful waste of industry funds trying to justify b/s when pursuing Kevin .Morton was astounding behaviour.

My big concern all along while the RB/Rita has been in the headlights, has been the likely lack of change at code level.

Harness has it's own problems but I've always felt that they manage their share of the pie in a more equitable manner than we do. 

• Like 3

Noms out for TE Rapa and they have programmed 12 races, but there are sufficient noms to run 21 full fields . 310 noms, now there are some double noms but not enough to cause much change . Have they done the right thing by owners and said we have to put on further meetings to meet demand or at least said that they are looking at the possibility , NO , NO , NO .

They have said any horse missing a run at Te Rapa  , 142 horses missing a run , will be guaranteed a run at Counties on the 11th or Ellerslie on the 15th . 

This is not good enough from NZTR , they asked the industry to come to the party after Covid and get their horses into work . Well come to the party they did , BIG TIME . But NZTR has forgotten that they were putting a party on . DISGRACEFUL .

NZTR has failed their participants massively . I genuinely feel sorry for every owner that has missed a run this week .

All they had to do was program another meeting , it was always obvious from trials and the Counties noms that the horses were there . Short sighted and myopic .

Will they add meetings or will they stubbornly stick to what they have programmed , SAD .

•  

3 minutes ago, Freda said:

A more likely reason [ I'm being kind here ] is that there simply isn't the funding to run any more racemeetings.

That's exactly what I was going to say.  The announcement about stake levels for the coming year is just spin as Lichter wrote.  

They can only maintain individual race stakes by reducing the number of races.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Freda said:

A more likely reason [ I'm being kind here ] is that there simply isn't the funding to run any more racemeetings.

Yes , it has been the underlying thought in my mind . If that is the reasoning , then how bad is the situation .

3 minutes ago, nomates said:

Yes , it has been the underlying thought in my mind . If that is the reasoning , then how bad is the situation .

I know I keep banging on about this but another reason is the broadcasting "no satellite" constraint.  They don't have many tracks network connected so they can't provide more meetings.

FFS Ruakaka could put on a meeting tomorrow and it wouldn't be anywhere near a Heavy 10.

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I know I keep banging on about this but another reason is the broadcasting "no satellite" constraint.  They don't have many tracks network connected so they can't provide more meetings.

FFS Ruakaka could put on a meeting tomorrow and it wouldn't be anywhere near a Heavy 10.

They have Ruakaka down for meetings next year , the reason they aren't using it now is because they said they didn't want to have people traveling too far for races , but that was before we came out of the Covid quicker than expected . They also have Matamata where trials have been held , Tauranga which has meetings scheduled next season . I can't work it out , if it is a funding issue then we seriously fecked .

Exactly, to the two posters above, there is no more money, I wont be kind as Freda is, these bastards sent the industry broke, their lack of care and expertise has caused this, the low life are now scavenging the beach looking for flotsam and jetsam from the ship they abandoned wrecked on the rocks......drove it onto the rocks I might add.

Let me also say this, a very successful trader/trainer had a good day out today at the trials, the horses will head to Oz but mostly Asia as history repeats, no doubt about that, but to get there they have used industry facilities with only a small likelihood of any recompense through the TAB system therefore enabling revenue generation which assists and supports the NZ racing industry....no tax, no export fees and the tax free exports are making other jurisdictions rich and ours poorer.

No one speaks up, as very few have analysed this......RNSW has identified trading as a potential danger to future revenue. But John Messara failed to identify trading as a problem...yet his own jurisdiction has flagged it.  He also failed to understand the difference between the two gambling cultures...again, who was advising him. 

Whilst I understand we are living in different times now, this behaviour is the trigger point of why NZ finds itself where it is!!!  Its far too late to address it now but had it been done 15 years ago, the industry may not be in the current position.

Trading could be the reason some don't want to make the move across the ditch...tax is a major consideration, whereas NZ has a far more accommodating system...

If I could nail it in one, it would be the missing tax that irks me, an export tax that repatriates funds back into the system to aid stakes and infrastructure is the fairest and transparent way to show good governance and responsible behaviour, human nature being what it is, lining your pockets to the detriment of the industry you work in? as the punting dollar drives our industry the draining of the horse pools especially the better class horses destroys the very product that punters want to wager on......the result......well, it speaks for itself.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

18 minutes ago, nomates said:

They have Ruakaka down for meetings next year , the reason they aren't using it now is because they said they didn't want to have people traveling too far for races , but that was before we came out of the Covid quicker than expected . They also have Matamata where trials have been held , Tauranga which has meetings scheduled next season . I can't work it out , if it is a funding issue then we seriously fecked .

But also the reason is the Broadcasting constraint.  Saundry said so in his email.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Exactly, to the two posters above, there is no more money, I wont be kind as Freda is, these bastards sent the industry broke, their lack of care and expertise has caused this, the low life are now scavenging the beach looking for flotsam and jetsam from the ship they abandoned wrecked on the rocks......drove it onto the rocks I might add.

Let me also say this, a very successful trader/trainer had a good day out today at the trials, the horses will head to Oz but mostly Asia as history repeats, no doubt about that, but to get there they have used industry facilities with only a small likelihood of any recompense through the TAB system therefore enabling revenue generation which assists and supports the NZ racing industry....no tax, no export fees and the tax free exports are making other jurisdictions rich and ours poorer.

No one speaks up, as very few have analysed this......RNSW has identified trading as a potential danger to future revenue. But John Messara failed to identify trading as a problem...yet his own jurisdiction has flagged it.  He also failed to understand the difference between the two gambling cultures...again, who was advising him. 

Whilst I understand we are living in different times now, this behaviour is the trigger point of why NZ finds itself where it is!!!  Its far too late to address it now but had it been done 15 years ago, the industry may not be in the current position.

Trading could be the reason some don't want to make the move across the ditch...tax is a major consideration, whereas NZ has a far more accommodating system...

If I could nail it in one, it would be the missing tax that irks me, an export tax that repatriates funds back into the system to aid stakes and infrastructure is the fairest and transparent way to show good governance and responsible behaviour, human nature being what it is, lining your pockets to the detriment of the industry you work in? as the punting dollar drives our industry the draining of the horse pools especially the better class horses destroys the very product that punters want to wager on......the result......well, it speaks for itself.

I can't say much as i have been part of the problem over the years regarding selling to Asia , but it will only get worse if they don't get a a grip and start finding solutions , as they are paid to .

Interesting that WP said he was pleased that Korea was starting to become another viable outlet for selling horses to , wont really help in his call to make racing great again .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nomates said:

The money providing the $15k races in July was found by shaving the RIU budget....which is funded by pokies. 

Looks promising, no?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Noodlum said:

So the back to back OZ racing didn't pull in much revenue?

You'd think it would have when there was nothing going out for broadcasting, NZ racing event costs, and when they apparently reneged on promised code distributions, but as Freda says, we remain in the dark on this and are supposed to somehow premise our participation and businesses on that absence of information.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Which begs the question , what have they been doing for years? All right to run around and kick the smaller venues in the guts and tell everyone how much of a big guy you are but you've got to also make sure your shop front is ready to go and fit for purpose, the problem is they haven't done that.

There is a whisker on the line between RITA and NZTR as to whom is the worst communicator they have both done a poor job at this. Its not ok to communicate just what you want , people in the industry wants answers to real problems no PR!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, curious said:

You'd think it would have when there was nothing going out for broadcasting,

Ok I'll bang on about it again.  There were broadcasting costs due to the dumb contract they have and the stupid move to make what once were variable costs fixed.  For example replacing variable satellite costs with fixed terrestrial network costs.

• Like 1

I would not be surprised in the slightest if it is a funding issue with regards to the stakes. 

It wouldn't suit everyone and may not be compatible with the broadcast issue they are having , but wouldn't they be better to cut stakes in half for a few weeks to get through this bottle neck and get horses a start , have an extra meeting or two whatever is required just to get the industry up and going again?

There would be complaints about it for sure , but we are probably going to be racing for about that amount in the new season at any rate, you aren't going to get anywhere in saving this industry by denying horses a start that much is certain.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Huey said:

Which begs the question , what have they been doing for years? All right to run around and kick the smaller venues in the guts and tell everyone how much of a big guy you are but you've got to also make sure your shop front is ready to go and fit for purpose, the problem is they haven't done that.

Exactly if big clubs running a corporate model with all the benefits and subsidisations they have had from NZRB (in comparison to smaller clubs) couldn't fund their own technology infrastructure how are they going to do it in the future?

The classic case is the Cambridge Jockey Club surely they could have funded an AWT track themselves without getting a Government benefit handout?

• Like 2