Bit Of A Yarn

Matt Anderson disqualified for 6 months

Rangatira

27 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

You an apologist for his behaviour?

Why would I be so arrogant to apologise for anyone!  The point is he got done for something totally unrelated to harness racing.  No cheating involved.  What's more in my opinion he has been treated unfairly when compared to others.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Noodlum said:

What did he cheat at?  Now you've increased his sentence from 10 years to life!

I guess you have never had a speeding fine in your life.

Cheated himself, and endangered fellow drivers. And yes I've had plenty of tickets for speeding (just over) I'm no angel but I'm not a cheat or drug user.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

Cheated himself, and endangered fellow drivers.

There was no evidence that he was driving on this drugs.  Considering the RIU knew about his consumption how come there were no positive tests?

12 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

And yes I've had plenty of tickets for speeding (just over) I'm no angel

Just a hypocrite.

• Champ Post 1

4 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

There was no evidence that he was driving on this drugs.  Considering the RIU knew about his consumption how come there were no positive tests?

Just a hypocrite.

You know drugs stay in your body ? Right.  Hooter for up to a month.You sound like an angel?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

You know drugs stay in your body ?

Not MDMA aka Ecstasy. Thats why it wouldn't have been picked up during testing. What's your point?  

The only reason it became an issue for Anderson is because it was discovered during a covert investigation done by the Police and the urging of the RIU.  While they were supposedly looking for something else!

Why bring marijuana into the conversation with your Hooter comment?  Been a smoker have you?

So Honestjohn will you be asking for Rasmussen to hang from the rafters for her drug conviction?  Given her presence in the industry, her influence and need to set an example.

• Champ Post 3

31 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

You know drugs stay in your body ? Right.  Hooter for up to a month.You sound like an angel?

Honestjohn you mustn’t have any children or grandchildren who are between 25 - 35 + as you sound very naive on what is the world like .

Ask your accountant , lawyer , doctor ,  mechanic , builder,  IT person etc if they or any of their staff have tried or used any drugs ?

You will be surprised what the answer would be if they answered honestly .

He didn’t cheat and only certain drugs stay in the system a longtime - dope does which Labour & the Greens want to legalise .

Edited by LongOwner
  • Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 1:40 PM, the galah said:

The drive on jimmy cannon in race 3 today. Failing to pull out with 250m to go certainly not seen very often.Be interesting to read the stipes report on that one. Yes i did back it,but really any normal driver would get 2 months,so we will wait and see.

John Dunn's drive on Spellbound would be even more questionable than the Jimmy Cannon one. 

He had heaps of time to come out before the advancing runner but didn't. 

• 3 weeks later...

The latest on this.

NON RACEDAY INQUIRY RIU V M J ANDERSON - COSTS RULING DATED 13 AUGUST 2020 - CHAIR, MR M MCKECHNIE
Created on 14 August 2020

COSTS RULING OF NON-RACEDAY JUDICIAL COMMITTEE 13 AUGUST 2020

1. INTRODUCTION

1.1 In its decision of 14 July 2020 the Committee sought submissions on costs.

1.2 Submissions have now been received from counsel for Mr Anderson and counsel for the RIU. These can be briefly summarised as follows:

(a) The RIU advises that it has incurred costs in the sum of $8,580.60 (exclusive of GST) in relation to the investigation and prosecution of Mr Anderson. It is said that costs should follow the event. The submissions nevertheless acknowledge that the Committee may award a proportion of total costs rather than indemnity costs. It is said that Mr Anderson, through his legal counsel, was well aware of the RIU’s position as a result of correspondence exchanged between legal counsel before the commencement of the hearing.

(b) For Mr Anderson it is said that in consequence of his disqualification for six months from 1 August he will have no employment and thus no income. It is said further that he has no assets other than a motor vehicle on which money is owing. Further, it is said that he has no savings and will be required to move out of his current accommodation. It is submitted that no award of costs should be made but if such were to be ordered then that should be paid at a weekly sum of no more than $5.00 until Mr Anderson can gain employment.

1.3 There have been developments that have taken place since the decision of the Committee issued on 14 July 2020. These are:

(a) Mr Anderson appealed the decision of the Judicial Committee. Both as to the finding that the charges were proved and in relation to the penalty of six months disqualification. The appeal in both respects was later withdrawn.

(b) It has come to the attention of the Committee that Mr Anderson has recently been convicted of two criminal charges in the Christchurch District Court. These are charges of assault and strangulation. Further enquiry has established that he is to be sentenced on those charges on 24 November 2020.

2.0 DISCUSSION

2.1 The Committee necessarily cannot know what will be the outcome of the sentencing of Mr Anderson on 24 November 2020 in the Christchurch District Court. Given the nature of the charges upon which he is to be sentenced some restriction on his liberty may result. Further, given those convictions and the current disqualification imposed of six months from 1 August this year, Mr Anderson’s ability to earn any meaningful income will have been seriously impacted.

2.2 The charges which Mr Anderson faced before the Judicial Committee were vigorously denied. Detailed submissions were filed on his behalf. There was a hearing of almost one days’ duration in Christchurch and thereafter further submissions were required from both parties upon whether or not the Committee had jurisdiction to rule upon the charges laid. This issue of jurisdiction rose from the rather uncertain wording of the New Zealand Rules of Harness Racing. These circumstances have led to considerable time being required of the Judicial Committee.

2.3 The most significant circumstance in evaluating whether to award costs and if so in what amount(s) is Mr Anderson’s current position. He is plainly not in a strong financial position.

2.4 The Committee takes the view that a costs award in favour of both the RIU and the Judicial Control Authority is appropriate. The quantum of those awards must however have regard to Mr Anderson’s position as outlined above. Having regard to those circumstances the figures that the Committee has concluded are appropriate are very significantly less than would have been the case but for those circumstances.

3.0 DECISION

3.1 An appropriate figure for costs in respect of the RIU is $2,500.00. An appropriate figure for a contribution towards the costs of the JCA is in the same amount, $2,500.00, thus a total of $5,000.00.

3.2 Mr Anderson will almost certainly require time to make payment of these costs and he and/or his counsel are invited to communicate with the RIU and the Harness Racing NZ in order to set up a regime for payment over time.

Dated this 13th day of August 2020

Murray McKechnie

Chairman

The RIU and thereafter JCA’s personal crusade to destroy a young mans life continues .

Don’t believe everything you read in the Press - weeks before a complaint was laid after been pressured by RIU failed cops - justice is now rare thing in our system.

The ME movement made sure the defence was the one that was strangled 

Edited by LongOwner
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, LongOwner said:

The RIU and thereafter JCA’s personal crusade to destroy a young mans life continues .

Don’t believe everything you read in the Press - weeks before a complaint was laid after been pressured by RIU failed cops - justice is now rare thing in our system.

The ME movement made sure the defence was the one that was strangled 

He was found guilty by the courts system. It does not matter how or when charge was laid.

I take it from the above comment you give mrs C a little touch up now and again to keep her in line!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Blossom lady said:

He was found guilty by the courts system. It does not matter how or when charge was laid.

I take it from the above comment you give mrs C a little touch up now and again to keep her in line!

Ease up that is a bit of stretch in assumptions!!

• Haha 2