Bit Of A Yarn

Matt Anderson disqualified for 6 months

Rangatira

6 minutes ago, the galah said:

Do you think they should have a referendum on ecstacy(mdma) as well?  What about  p? Most people that go to the local nightclubs  are on it(mdma),so everyone tells me.

No,I dont think should legalise any drug that isnt already legal.

My point is our government is having a referendum on legalising a drug!!!!

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Whiplash, seriously, the way you have been behaving today seems to be showing that you are on something pretty strong!

There is no need to to bring your gutter talk to the discussions at all, very unbecoming!

If you have something of importance to say, then do it without all the low class language.

What I do know of Matt Anderson is that he is a very approachable, hardworking, successful, well spoken, talented horseman.

What I also know is that we need many more of these young people to be retained in harness racing!

What I also know is that they can be easily lost to the racing industry, as to still be working training and driving is a hard way to make a living!

Yes he may well have broken the law by having possession of a banned drug, however I would suggest Whiplash, that you would be well aware of people who are equally as guilty as Matt Anderson!

Personally wish Matt Anderson all the best for his future, whether it be harness or otherwise.

OK mum! was Matt smiling ALOT when you talked to him? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Honestjohn said:

Do some of you guys want drugs in the industry? Dangerous enough game without drugs. 10 years I would be OK with. 

Agree, Honest John.

I think he got off lightly. We have all made mistakes when young like Mr Anderson so hopefully he will have time to reflect while on the sidelines and put the past behind him. Do the crime, do the time and come back and resume his career.

2 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

Do some of you guys want drugs in the industry? Dangerous enough game without drugs. 10 years I would be OK with. 

I disagree - 10 years would have been way over the top.  His sentence was fair.  Six months loss of income is quite a penalty for the crime he committed.  Ecstasy (MDMA) is a common party drug used by the young.  Its effects on his performance would have been minimal to zero if he used it has he said he did.  Its effect is quite short in duration and has a short half life.  It would have been unlikely to pick up by doing a blood test on raceday if he had used it as he said the night before.

Not that it is an excuse but also bear in mind that he only got caught through Operation Inca which was looking for something else - what exactly we are not sure!

I felt the Judge was fair too in discharging without conviction recognising that a criminal conviction for a relatively minor offence would end his career. 

What's happened to Rasmussen?  Doesn't she face a similar charge?

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

No one wants drugs in the industry but I don't want drunk horseman either so many year would you give Blair Orange? And how many years for the alphabet men and Natalie R for doing drugs?

3 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

Dont want drugging of horses, no!!

There has always been drugs in racing over the past 40 years anyway.

Has any harness driver caused a smash and then been tested and found positive?

Not that I am aware!

Personally believe that some need some stimulus in their system to wake them up!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

but I don't want drunk horseman either

Never held Chris Johnson back and is his game the seat is a lot smaller in size an a lot less stable!  Not that I'm condoning it at all!!  However I do remember some of the summer circuit days where the day between two race days was a huge piss up over a round or two of golf.  I'm sure if some of the drivers had been breathalysed the next day the results wouldn't have been pretty!

2 hours ago, Noodlum said:

I disagree - 10 years would have been way over the top.  His sentence was fair.  Six months loss of income is quite a penalty for the crime he committed.  Ecstasy (MDMA) is a common party drug used by the young.  Its effects on his performance would have been minimal to zero if he used it has he said he did.  Its effect is quite short in duration and has a short half life.  It would have been unlikely to pick up by doing a blood test on raceday if he had used it as he said the night before.

My understanding is he was charged because he supplied the drug to others. In other words he was dealing. That is a different issue than using it for personal use. Mr Anderson may have been a user too, but that was not why he was charged. 

1 hour ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

My understanding is he was charged because he supplied the drug to others. In other words he was dealing. That is a different issue than using it for personal use. Mr Anderson may have been a user too, but that was not why he was charged. 

Supplementing income should never be frowned upon.

The thing is that no one is  being forced to buy a recreational drug!!

I appreciate that it is illegal, however Matt Anderson has been more than punished by the tarnish to his name and massive legal bills!

Now he has had his livelihood taken off him by an incompetent Racing Integrity Unit!!

Personally  believe that the RIU should change their name as they do not act with the integrity that the name states it should

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Oh Brodster....😂

10 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Now he has had his livelihood taken off him by an incompetent Racing Integrity Unit!!

For a person who champions individual rights and a level playing field I am surprised you blame the RIU for his decision to sell drugs. Surely, it is not their fault what he does.

11 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Personally  believe that the RIU should change their name as they do not act with the integrity that the name states it should

Does Matt Anderson need to change his name too?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Oh Brodster....😂

For a person who champions individual rights and a level playing field I am surprised you blame the RIU for his decision to sell drugs. Surely, it is not their fault what he does.

Does Matt Anderson need to change his name too?

No I dont blame the RIU!
However I beleive he has been more than punished for the error of gis ways, that so many are doing!!
They nave come down hard on him because they can!

12 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Hardly "dealing."  Providing a few pills to some mates.

He was charged with intent to supply.  If he was a big dealer then the Cops would have nailed him in Court.

So given the amount of covert surveillance undertaken looking for something else at the urging of the RIU they got fuck all really.

Which means even with the help of the cops they are incompetent or there was sweet fuck all to find.

Edited by Noodlum
  • Champ Post 2

1 minute ago, Noodlum said:

Hardly "dealing."  Providing a few pills to some mates.

He was charged with intent to supply.  If he was a big dealer then the Cops would have nailed him in Court.

So given the amount of covert surveillance undertaken looking for something else at the urging of the RIU they got fuck all really.

They did nail him in court - he pleaded guilty - Judge let him off

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

The thing is that no one is  being forced to buy a recreational drug!!

I appreciate that it is illegal, however Matt Anderson has been more than punished by the tarnish to his name and massive legal bills!

Six months is not long to be on the sidelines my old mate. Mr Anderson is young and he has time to rebuild his promising career. He has made some bad choices, like most of us do when young, but he can put this incident behind him and be successful again. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Taku Umanga said:

They did nail him in court - he pleaded guilty - Judge let him off

Are you illiterate?  Or haven't you read anything about the case?  My point was if he "deserved 10 years" as Old Whiteman suggests then he would have had to have been a leading pin in the drug underworld.  Obviously with all the covert surveillance they did there wasn't any evidence to support that.  The Judge didn't let him off - a plea bargain was done which obviously ALL parties including the Police and the RIU agreed to.  I'd say by this stage the Police had had a gutsful of the whole INCA farce and other charges were dropped.

If the evidence pointed to Anderson being a big drug dealer THEN he would have been nailed!

The bargain was that his misdemeanour would be dealt with by the JCA.  Which it was.  Preceding that Grimstone tries to save face for his role in the whole INCA debacle by attempting to interrogate Anderson to get him to snitch.  Anderson as he was entitled to do said go get fucked in the nicest possible way by saying nothing as advised by his lawyer. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Six months is not long to be on the sidelines my old mate. Mr Anderson is young and he has time to rebuild his promising career. He has made some bad choices, like most of us do when young, but he can put this incident behind him and be successful again. 

Yet you reckoned he should have got "10 years"!!!

• Haha 1