Bit Of A Yarn

Where the Hell is the Racing Calendar for the Next 6 Months!

NZTR you are dropping the ball, the reins and your feet have fallen out of the stirrups!

Show some gumption and post a calendar of dates for the next 6 months at least!  Give some certainty to all the people on the ground that are working hard to provide YOU with a product.  

As a Project Manager I had a maxim that I was often requoted on:  The first principle of Project Management is to define the Black and White and only then can you manage the Grey!

So NZTR define the black and white of the calendar!  Give some certainty to people to plan - you have no idea of the timelines to train and get horses to the races.  You have ONE JOB - do it!

If shyte comes our way then MANAGE it - manage the grey!  Doing NOTHING is worse than doing something and maybe only getting less than 10% of it wrong!

• Like 1

If they let participants know what the real position was and started treating them with some respect they might find people were a bit more forgiving in their criticism . Unless we start getting some strategic plans in place to get racing back on a solid footing then we are going to keep meandering along on a month by month basis and nothing ever gets improved . They need to outline a plan for the next 12 months , 24 months , 5 years then 10/20 years , set some goals , get participants involved in the decision making . No one is expecting an overnight solution , but we need to know the extent of the problem so we can understand it and start to help solving it .

Racing needs to be completely rebuilt , what worked 10/20/30/ years ago isn't now or going forward , gallops needs to be completely stripped down and re constructed so that it works both as a sport and an industry for many years to come . I don't know much about the other codes but i'm sure they are in the same boat from reading what others have to say about them .

I have no faith that those presently employed to manage any part of the racing and gambling structure are the people to do that , so that is the first building block that requires to be rebuilt . Sure we need people with business acumen but first and foremost we need people with a real passion for racing overseeing any and all decisions made within all the separate organisations under this umbrella . There are plenty of successful people who are both passionate about horse racing and have he business acumen to help us rebuild . Some one like Kevin Hickman comes to mind but there are plenty of others . 

There are also plenty of other people within racing who have a great knowledge of racing alone that should also be part of this process .

This either works for all of us or fails for all of us , there is no middle ground , even the big guys will struggle if racing diminishes too much more or collapses altogether .

• Champ Post 2

On ‎08‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 9:21 AM, Chief Stipe said:

NZTR you are dropping the ball, the reins and your feet have fallen out of the stirrups!

Show some gumption and post a calendar of dates for the next 6 months at least!  Give some certainty to all the people on the ground that are working hard to provide YOU with a product.  

As a Project Manager I had a maxim that I was often requoted on:  The first principle of Project Management is to define the Black and White and only then can you manage the Grey!

So NZTR define the black and white of the calendar!  Give some certainty to people to plan - you have no idea of the timelines to train and get horses to the races.  You have ONE JOB - do it!

If shyte comes our way then MANAGE it - manage the grey!  Doing NOTHING is worse than doing something and maybe only getting less than 10% of it wrong!

?????    All the race meeting dates have been advised for the full season.  

1 hour ago, All The Aces said:

When?  The published programme - or what we all used to call "The Racing Calendar" only details programmes to the end of September.  Normally it is at least 6 months.

On 25/08/2020 at 9:59 AM, nomates said:

If they let participants know what the real position was and started treating them with some respect they might find people were a bit more forgiving in their criticism . Unless we start getting some strategic plans in place to get racing back on a solid footing then we are going to keep meandering along on a month by month basis and nothing ever gets improved . They need to outline a plan for the next 12 months , 24 months , 5 years then 10/20 years , set some goals , get participants involved in the decision making . No one is expecting an overnight solution , but we need to know the extent of the problem so we can understand it and start to help solving it .

Racing needs to be completely rebuilt , what worked 10/20/30/ years ago isn't now or going forward , gallops needs to be completely stripped down and re constructed so that it works both as a sport and an industry for many years to come . I don't know much about the other codes but i'm sure they are in the same boat from reading what others have to say about them .

I have no faith that those presently employed to manage any part of the racing and gambling structure are the people to do that , so that is the first building block that requires to be rebuilt . Sure we need people with business acumen but first and foremost we need people with a real passion for racing overseeing any and all decisions made within all the separate organisations under this umbrella . There are plenty of successful people who are both passionate about horse racing and have he business acumen to help us rebuild . Some one like Kevin Hickman comes to mind but there are plenty of others . 

There are also plenty of other people within racing who have a great knowledge of racing alone that should also be part of this process .

This either works for all of us or fails for all of us , there is no middle ground , even the big guys will struggle if racing diminishes too much more or collapses altogether .

I agree with the complete rebuild , it also needs new leadership at the helm of NZTR they are going nowhere and have been for sometime.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, All The Aces said:

Where? let me know where to look and what prizemoney is on offer, this is the only racing jurisdiction on Gods earth that operates like this.

If I could believe them at Petone I could leave our horses with our young fella, but I just can't believe them. I've only contacted Saundry twice, the first time he only answered me as he said the email had been referred to him by John Allen, however it was addressed to him, Saundry, with copy to the acting Prime Minister and John Allen.

To their credit both the Acting Prime Minister replied to me as did John Allen mentioning he would be in contact with Saundry re the matter, and Saundry's reply to me left me in disbelief, until I read the post re his asking if horses gallop everyday.

God bless the good ship NZ racing and all that sail on her, unfortunately it appears it's a Titanic and the deck chairs and musical instruments are floating in the water with survivors clinging for their lives.

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Aside from the "normal" Calendar Publication not being published for the next 6 months - where are the stakes?

Nobody seems willing or able to tell us. NZTR says ask RITA/TABNZ. They won't tell. Can't find out if there'll be enough money for blue ribbons by the end of the year.

Well, as we all knew, not guessed, knew......the bosses will sell off what they can to fund racing going forward and whoa behold anyone that stands in their way.......but is the sell off for stakes, or salaries.......can anyone tell the truth? Jackson sails off into the sunset,  woopy doo, but who's left behind? the brains trust, oh it's just magical all this and the government is complicit.

I see the police knock on your door if you espouse adverse views now, so, the only way to get to the bottom of all this is the sanctity of the ballot box.

The problem is though, imagine another Nathan Guy, no way Jose, I need a bath towel for the tears, a hanky just doesn't do it. 

On ‎08‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 10:31 AM, Chief Stipe said:

When?  The published programme - or what we all used to call "The Racing Calendar" only details programmes to the end of September.  Normally it is at least 6 months.

Your original post stated calendar of dates '"Show some gumption and post a calendar of dates for the next 6 months at least"

The dates are there for the whole season as I pointed out.

If you meant race programmes or race schedules then you should have more accurately stated so.   

7 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Well, as we all knew, not guessed, knew......the bosses will sell off what they can to fund racing going forward and whoa behold anyone that stands in their way.......but is the sell off for stakes, or salaries.......can anyone tell the truth? Jackson sails off into the sunset,  woopy doo, but who's left behind? the brains trust, oh it's just magical all this and the government is complicit.

I see the police knock on your door if you espouse adverse views now, so, the only way to get to the bottom of all this is the sanctity of the ballot box.

The problem is though, imagine another Nathan Guy, no way Jose, I need a bath towel for the tears, a hanky just doesn't do it. 

Yeah....the new Racing Bill got cross party support on its way into legislation,  that staggered me, I never thought that could happen. 

So, ballot box notwithstanding,  doesn't seem to be much light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, All The Aces said:

If you meant race programmes or race schedules then you should have more accurately stated so.   

What's the point of posting dates without the other information?   Are they signalling that they don't really know for example what stakes will be available?  Even though we've been promised the same level as last year?

47 minutes ago, curious said:

Anyone know where they are getting the money from especially to match the total stakes to last year as they said they would?

Everyone at head office and TAB are having all their teeth removed and putting them under their pillows , we just have to hope they all return all the money they get off the tooth fairy or there could be a shortfall .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, nomates said:

Everyone at head office and TAB are having all their teeth removed and putting them under their pillows , we just have to hope they all return all the money they get off the tooth fairy or there could be a shortfall .

They are only about $15m short based on what RITA/TABNZ have promised. Hopefully, they have that much left over from what they didn't have to pay out last year. Otherwise you are right. We can only hope that the tooth fairy is in a generous mode.

50 minutes ago, curious said:

They are only about $15m short based on what RITA/TABNZ have promised. Hopefully, they have that much left over from what they didn't have to pay out last year. Otherwise you are right. We can only hope that the tooth fairy is in a generous mode.

Yet they have kept stakes levels for the Hastings series and other high prestige races , if there is a shortage then surely these should have been trimmed , so i'm going on the assumption that there is plenty of cash , otherwise there has to major repercussions .

• Like 2

• Chief Stipe unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2020 at 12:53 PM, Chief Stipe said:

They have been updating since this Topic was created.

I guess they must be busy working through the real estate sales process for the tracks they've made redundant.

There might be another track with issues around continuing with the status quo.

I'm not sure that Taranaki Racing continuing at the current venue for more than the next few years is feasible if this project goes ahead (see below). If this does happen will NPDC give them anything but a very short term lease?

Racedays might be possible, but I can't see how training is given the impact of the construction then the huge increase in vehicular & people movements. Even if it was to be deemed possible it would no longer be an environment I would want any horse of mine to live in if I was with a trainer based on-course. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/122615524/the-91m-plan-to-give-taranaki-a-new-place-to-play?fbclid=IwAR37-9nGHqHWZY7ft5tRVfUBql2T9zr9nEc0lgM8VrRa_ThvfEdUxz2np5c

Edited by Chimbu
Grammar