Bit Of A Yarn

Thursday at Forbury

Ludwig

just wondering what you are expecting? 

129 horses with an average field size of 12.9. Surely thats good. You say woeful stakes but every race is $7000 or over. The size of the fields shows the stakes haven't deterred anyone.

As to racing on thursdays. Its a bit unrealistic to expect them to get a stand alone friday night meeting.

The fields certainly look better betting races than the oamaru meeting a couple of weeks ago.

28 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Just curious to know what has changed/ improved at Forbury.? Buried on a Thursday night, poor fields, woeful stakes. The highlight looks to be Aveross Spitfire going around in race 3. So what's the plan, if any, for the place?

I think the theory behind Forbury was for years to have low/mid range prize money on offer in a central track and just hope like hell horses from Canterbury would flood down and the Southerners would head north easy peasy lemon squeezie.

The suits thought this would be sufficient to just sit and watch the money flow in, were the turnover numbers so low because no one was betting on a thursday or fields were of too low quality hence too hard to find a winner or a Canterbury raider would come down pay $1.40 on the tote and stuff all would be bet on the race.

Some meetings this works where you'll get huge full fields and other times you'd end up with 6 races with barely 8 in each race, God only knows the reasons behind this but how often did we see Forbury on a thursday then Ascot Park on a sunday??? way too often

A quick look at this thursday, 130 ish runners and I'll count Michael House as Southland as most of his horses are based there --- looks to me only 20 ish horses are coming from north of Ashburton, yes races are lacking quality but they can't expect to offer $7000 and get the shits when only slow horses turn up and turnover is low.

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

I think the theory behind Forbury was for years to have low/mid range prize money on offer in a central track and just hope like hell horses from Canterbury would flood down and the Southerners would head north easy peasy lemon squeezie.

You are very kind thinking the 'suits' had a theory.

They just chuck dates on a calendar each year and hope for the best.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

After the review earlier in the year which will be reviewed with another review by 3 business consultants the 'plan'will be revealed and no doubt reviewed.

Reviews and consultants and enquiries....sounds like Cindy is in charge.

• Champ Post 1

Be interesting to see how Forbury fare as opposed to the same old Southland thursday setup,a 5 05 start time is a odd time to start,its kinda right in the middle of the aussie races which whether we like it or not do attract a large following,one thing I noticed on friday on betfair when Ascot park raced the first race had a matched bet amount of just under 20000,and as the day progressed amount bet was reducing every race,theory being that a lot of ozzie money may have been invested early before they get going themselves,getting back to Forbury will racing in competition to the oz gallops at night be better for the tab than a day meeting in Southland,that's the question.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

That is a good question.

Are Forbury having to meet turnover figures? Hard to do when people can't bet what they want. Maybe the turnover figure should include the amounts refused by the TAB to get a real indication of turnover.

I kind of think Forbury tend to get the poor rub of the green these days,most of their other meetings  this season are midweek wedged in between canterbury and southern meetings and then they have the 5 winter meetings.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Just curious to know what has changed/ improved at Forbury.? Buried on a Thursday night, poor fields, woeful stakes. The highlight looks to be Aveross Spitfire going around in race 3. So what's the plan, if any, for the place?

17 horses trained in Dunedin area,including Mosgiel and 20 in the greater area,central and south otago plus Waikouaiti,is that many,hard to know but your claim about poor fields,in reality pretty much the same as what's been going around most meetings these says,despite everything will be interesting to see how it stacks up results wise.

On 29/09/2020 at 10:51 AM, mikeynz said:

in reality pretty much the same as what's been going around most meetings these says,despite everything will be interesting to see how it stacks up results wise.

It will be just the same. How could it not be?

Same for Timaru. I see they have put down a new track at some cost I imagine. 

Forbury and Timaru, plus Orari have been given a reprieve but for how long?

• Like 1

With out a shadow of a doubt forbury is the south island second best track and is a vital tool allowing clashes between districts.forbury has never been a favourites track only in the days when the ran the races for DD.forbury should be racing every Thursday night and that is it's best time slot as it allows the new north Korea formally Australia to bet.having south land meetings during the day is absurd and on a Saturday is worse as Tabcorp won't have a bar of it.hrnz should rename themselves the fucktards

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Forbury said:

that is it's best time slot as it allows the new north Korea formally Australia to bet.

Given your name, I hope you are not studying Political Science at Otago University. 

forbury should be racing every Thursday night

hrnz should rename themselves the fucktards

Not sure which one of the above comments is more bizarre but I think you out do both of them.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Forbury said:

With out a shadow of a doubt forbury is the south island second best track and is a vital tool allowing clashes between districts.forbury has never been a favourites track only in the days when the ran the races for DD.forbury should be racing every Thursday night and that is it's best time slot as it allows the new north Korea formally Australia to bet.having south land meetings during the day is absurd and on a Saturday is worse as Tabcorp won't have a bar of it.hrnz should rename themselves the fucktards

HTP's primary school English teacher, I presume?

14 hours ago, Forbury said:

Look calm down mate. Stop taking so many angry pills and relax. Deep breaths... inhale... exhale. We are only talking harness racing it is not that important and not a reason to get this irate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rusty said:

Up until today, I had hoped Forbury stays. 

Now I hope Forbury goes away. 

It's very hard to get excited about it. I know the numbers for the night are good, but....there's nothing to wet the appetite to say this is a new beginning.

• Like 2