Bit Of A Yarn

Methven R1 "Start"

Mark D

5 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Normally a gallops man but that start was a pig's breakfast.  If that starter wasn't also a stipe wouldn't he get the boot?

Fuck me another late scratching , watch the replay Yea You was a little side on but was stationary when the gooooooose said go.

In my opinion bad luck but if this clown can't get it right get rid of him, costing clubs and punters money.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Normally a gallops man but that start was a pig's breakfast.  If that starter wasn't also a stipe wouldn't he get the boot?

Yes. No, Lamb cannot be criticised. Until he retires (hopefully soon) harness racing will have to put up with frequent starting stuff ups from this so-called starter...

• Like 2

A start nowadays  in Canterbury Is just when every horse is at the start!

It doesnt matter whether the horses are in a line, standing back, standing side on, playing up etc. as long as they are so ewhere near the tapes, they will be let go RIIIIIIIGT!

HRNZ are obviously happy with the starter so they wont do anything about it!

It is good that clubs try things different but can not see the point in racing from a stand over 1700metres as it is  just so hard if you do not begin well!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

Personally i can't see why they late scratched those 2 horses. I guess they set the precedent at addington the week before.

It seems you will get late scratched if you are not standing 100% straight,and then swing side on after the tapes are released as Yea You clearly did today.Scratched because of poor barrier manners apparently. 

Yet they don't late scratch any horse that displays poor barrier manners before a mobile start and misses it by 100m as happened at forbury the week before.

Double standards really.

• Like 3

Guest CrossCodes

The guy is a joke, if he wasn’t also a Stipe I’m sure he would have been given the boot years ago.

He is the worst starter they have ever had in Canterbury.

31 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

The guy is a joke, if he wasn’t also a Stipe I’m sure he would have been given the boot years ago.

He is the worst starter they have ever had in Canterbury.

Seriously, you would think they would be training up someone that is much younger than Peter Lamb for when he falls off his ladder!

The fact that they arent seems to show that HRNZ are happy to have standing starts that are just sub standard!

You would think that Mr Lamb would be able to see that the punters were not happy with him and stand himself down?

Nah, far better off continuing as I do not have to answer to anyone!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Anyone over these Mile races at Methven yet?

Some absolute dogs running places lol!

Poor fields overall and some crazy cutthroat driving. I thought that Sybkah Lane stuck on well considering the way it was driven... driver thought he was on Niatross!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.png.ff628d45af243d9e37c192f63820138c.png

So Yea You is declared a 'non-starter due to unsatisfactory manners prior to the start'

So our friend Madam Sass did this

image.png.f7b809b451a50fbd528fa564cc908be2.png

So Madam Sass had unsatisfactory manners prior to the start. Why isn't she scratched? The Artful Dodger also broke before the start.

Someone needs to explain the difference between these two to me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Between the starter being incompetent and the Stewards late scratching horses for next to nothing this could become a joke if it isn't already.

Christ, you would see the likes of 'Yea You' once every two starts.

Yes, at a Lamb start. Yea You was not standing straight and not ready to start when "right" boomed out.  We get this all the time with Lamb, horses not ready and yet he lets the field go. Now that a precedent has happened drivers, trainers and owners will probably complain if their horses get an unfair start to try and get a late scratching. Some will succeed others won't. If Lamb got the starts right we wouldn't have this situation. I think you are right Happy, best to treat it as a joke because while Lamb's around it will continue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Shouldnt have to be laughing!

Punters offload their money if they can get on, and we get substandard performances from the laid employees!

Current starter is protected for some reason?

Starts at Kaikoura are going to be a problem,

He'll stuff at least one start probably more... and that will be a problem on that tight track. When will something be done about the clown?

2 hours ago, the galah said:

Personally i think the stipes have made poor decisions regarding these recent late scratchings and by doing so are causing criticism of the starter, which in my view is undeserved as relates to the what is currently being discussed.

Sorry, it is all to do with starter. Yea You was not standing straight. Stevie Wonder could have seen that yet the starter said go. This is not an isolated incident he does it all the time. I also can't understand why he is the inside runners bunched up on the inside and then there is a four or five metre gap to the outside horses who are spaced wide apart. At Methven this was an advantage for the outside horses as most made flyers while those bunched on inside were hampered by breakers.

6 hours ago, Davis said:

Sorry, it is all to do with starter. Yea You was not standing straight. Stevie Wonder could have seen that yet the starter said go. This is not an isolated incident he does it all the time. I also can't understand why he is the inside runners bunched up on the inside and then there is a four or five metre gap to the outside horses who are spaced wide apart. At Methven this was an advantage for the outside horses as most made flyers while those bunched on inside were hampered by breakers.

We just see that start a bit different to each other. 

Its only a split second,but when the tapes were released the horse was only on a slight angle,and the significant movement sideways happened that split second after,in my opinion.  The race starts when the tapes are released,not a split second after.

I used to think lamb did an average job,but like i've said before i think he has improved significantly since he has given up on the having every horse standing still approach.

i think part of the reason for the negative opinions towards his starts is because there are far more stands in canterbury racing than other regions. Also,because he is deemed as part of the riu by some,those with the anti riu attitude use any excuse to criticise him.

• Confused 1

When is a start not a start!

Once again the tape had been released and the race is therefkre started!

Fact is that both those horses should not have been scratched as the start had been called.

Yes not great if you have backed either horse but this has not been  the norm previously, so why the change???.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Fact is that both those horses should not have been scratched as the start had been called.

Yes not great if you have backed either horse but this has not been  the norm previously, so why the change???.

Thats it in a nutshell really. It shouldn't be hard for the stipes to work that out. You only have to watch the video to see that. They really have opened themselves up for a heap of criticism if they don't late scratch any other horse that swings round that split second after the tapes have been released. Its just part of the many variables that can occur in racing.

Also,people don't seem to take into account that there is a second or so delay from the time the starter pulls the lever to release the tape,to the time it clears the horse on the opposite side of the track to which the starter is positioned.

As far as the gallops go,are we to see any horse who is rearing slightly as the gates are released late scratched. Are we to see the occasional dog who turns in the boxs late scratched? Where is the criticism of the starters in those cases.

Its all become more confusing with these recent rulings.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

How could it be not great if you had backed them?

Wouldn't it actually be great if you had backed them?

You got your money back

Mikie

13 hours ago, the galah said:

i think part of the reason for the negative opinions towards his starts is because there are far more stands in canterbury racing than other regions. Also,because he is deemed as part of the riu by some,those with the anti riu attitude use any excuse to criticise him.

what load of crap should be sacked if can't  give fear starts .are his assistance any good at helping him too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mikie said:

How could it be not great if you had backed them?

Wouldn't it actually be great if you had backed them?

You got your money back

Mikie

I am talking about what it should have been Mikie!

It was a start and therefore there should not have been any late scratchings!

Everyone would have backed something that has been checcked at the start and never got their money back!!!

It is another mistake by officialdom that has been made unless this is new policy?

• Like 2